Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it - Linux

This is a discussion on Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it - Linux ; If you don't know the answer please simply do not respond. If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I don't have time for any endless debate. How do you remap the emacs key mappings so that the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    If you don't know the answer please simply do not respond.
    If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I don't
    have time for any endless debate.

    How do you remap the emacs key mappings so that the (next
    word) function becomes , and so that the
    (prior word) function becomes ?

    All of the key mapping examples that have been provided
    simply do not work, there must be some little gap in my
    understanding. I provided the specified syntax and it simply
    did not work at all. I placed this syntax in the .emacs file
    in my login directory, and it did nothing. What is the
    little gap that I am missing?

    (1) Do I have to login again?
    (2) Is the login directory different than the home
    directory?
    (3) Does the correct syntax vary drastically from system to
    system?
    (4) There is some other little configuration file that must
    be told that emacs is to test to see if it has been
    reconfigured?
    What am I missing?

  2. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On 2007-12-16, Peter Olcott wrote:

    > If you don't know the answer please simply do not respond.
    > If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I don't
    > have time for any endless debate.

    If that's the case, then you've made two fatal mistakes:

    1) You've chosen Usenet as your medium.

    2) You've posted your question to a group in which the
    question is off-topic.

    The latter (especially when combined with your attitude) is
    particularly likely to be counter-productive.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! MMM-MM!! So THIS is
    at BIO-NEBULATION!

  3. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:35:47 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    > What am I missing?

    On a shell prompt type:

    cat

    +
    +D

    post the output.

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  4. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Christof Meerwald"
    wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:35:47 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> What am I missing?

    > On a shell prompt type:
    >
    > cat
    >
    > +
    > +D
    >
    > post the output.

    I don't know what "post the output" means.

    > Christof
    >
    > --
    > http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org
    > mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org

  5. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:24:00 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    > "Christof Meerwald"
    > wrote in message
    >> On a shell prompt type:
    >>
    >> cat
    >>
    >> +
    >> +D
    >>
    >> post the output.

    > I don't know what "post the output" means.

    Tell us what you see on your screen.

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  6. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Christof Meerwald"
    wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:24:00 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> "Christof Meerwald"
    >> wrote in message
    >>> On a shell prompt type:
    >>>
    >>> cat
    >>>
    >>> +
    >>> +D
    >>>
    >>> post the output.

    >> I don't know what "post the output" means.

    > Tell us what you see on your screen.

    -bash-2.05b$ cat
    ^[[C

    -bash-2.05b$

    > Christof
    >
    > --
    > http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org
    > mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org

  7. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:23:27 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    > "Christof Meerwald"
    > wrote in message
    >>> "Christof Meerwald"
    >>> wrote in message

    >> Tell us what you see on your screen.

    > -bash-2.05b$ cat
    > ^[[C
    >

    > -bash-2.05b$

    Which makes it pretty obvious that your problem has nothing to do with Emacs
    or Linux... (but I have already told you that yesterday)

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

  8. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Christof Meerwald"
    wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:23:27 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> "Christof Meerwald"
    >> wrote in message

    >>> Tell us what you see on your screen.

    >> -bash-2.05b$ cat
    >> ^[[C
    >>

    >> -bash-2.05b$

    > Which makes it pretty obvious that your problem has
    > nothing to do with Emacs
    > or Linux... (but I have already told you that yesterday)
    >

    > Christof

    So can you tell me what exactly will fix my problem?

    > --
    > http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org
    > mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org

  9. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Christof Meerwald"
    wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:23:27 -0600, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> "Christof Meerwald"
    >> wrote in message

    >>> Tell us what you see on your screen.

    >> -bash-2.05b$ cat
    >> ^[[C
    >>

    >> -bash-2.05b$

    > Which makes it pretty obvious that your problem has
    > nothing to do with Emacs
    > or Linux... (but I have already told you that yesterday)
    >

    > Christof

    I tried it on the system console and it worked fine. When I
    am running it from a vt100 terminal emulator, and $TERM is
    set to vt100 it does not work. How can I make this work on
    the vt100 terminal emulator?

    > --
    > http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org
    > mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw
    > at cmeerw.org

  10. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    On Dec 16, 7:35 am, "Peter Olcott" wrote:

    > If you don't know the answer please simply do not respond.
    > If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I don't
    > have time for any endless debate.

    Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.

    DS

  11. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    > On Dec 16, 7:35 am, "Peter Olcott"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If you don't know the answer please simply do not
    >> respond.
    >> If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I
    >> don't
    >> have time for any endless debate.

    > Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.
    >
    > DS

    I sure don't see it that way. I ask a simple question, and
    people argue on and on endlessly about whether or not the
    question is appropriate? Now that seems rude to me.

  12. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    * David Schwartz fired off this tart reply:

    > On Dec 16, 7:35 am, "Peter Olcott" wrote:
    >
    >> If you don't know the answer please simply do not respond.
    >> If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I don't
    >> have time for any endless debate.

    > Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.

    That's trolling for ya!

    He says "I don't have time for any endless debate", yet he keeps up the
    endless debate, like a spouse who has to get in the last word.

    Okay, let's get back to app development!

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    Peter Olcott wrote:

    > "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    >> On Dec 16, 7:35 am, "Peter Olcott"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you don't know the answer please simply do not
    >>> respond.
    >>> If you do know the answer, please just provide it. I
    >>> don't
    >>> have time for any endless debate.

    >> Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.
    >>
    >> DS

    > I sure don't see it that way. I ask a simple question, and
    > people argue on and on endlessly about whether or not the
    > question is appropriate? Now that seems rude to me.

    Welcome to usenet!

    Jerry

  14. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    On Dec 17, 7:27 am, "Peter Olcott" wrote:

    > > Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.

    > I sure don't see it that way. I ask a simple question, and
    > people argue on and on endlessly about whether or not the
    > question is appropriate? Now that seems rude to me.

    If you don't like how USENET works, go elsewhere. But it's rude and
    arrogant to ask everyone else to do things they way you like just
    because it makes things easier for you. There is a give and take on
    USENET, and you are demanding that everyone conform their actions to
    facilitate your taking and minimize anything they might get out of it.

    Please stop being an ass and try to participate in the give and take
    of USENET. It is not your private store of helpful experts.

    DS

  15. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Jerry Peters" wrote in message
    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >>
    >> "David Schwartz" wrote in message

    >>> Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.
    >>>
    >>> DS

    >> I sure don't see it that way. I ask a simple question,
    >> and
    >> people argue on and on endlessly about whether or not the
    >> question is appropriate? Now that seems rude to me.

    > Welcome to usenet!
    >
    > Jerry

    Several other groups that I frequently visit consistently
    maintain a much more professional decorum, I wonder why
    there would be such a large difference?

  16. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    On Dec 17, 8:18 pm, "Peter Olcott" wrote:

    > Several other groups that I frequently visit consistently
    > maintain a much more professional decorum, I wonder why
    > there would be such a large difference?

    Still trying to tell everyone else how to behave? Should we run all
    our endless debates by you first to make sure they're acceptable?

    DS

  17. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    > On Dec 17, 8:18 pm, "Peter Olcott"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Several other groups that I frequently visit consistently
    >> maintain a much more professional decorum, I wonder why
    >> there would be such a large difference?

    > Still trying to tell everyone else how to behave? Should
    > we run all
    > our endless debates by you first to make sure they're
    > acceptable?
    >
    > DS

    Is it that the average Linux developer is much younger?
    There must be some reason for the difference. Is disrespect
    a intrinsic part of the Linux community?

  18. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    > On Dec 17, 7:27 am, "Peter Olcott"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> > Wow. That's incredibly rude and arrogant.

    >> I sure don't see it that way. I ask a simple question,
    >> and
    >> people argue on and on endlessly about whether or not the
    >> question is appropriate? Now that seems rude to me.

    > If you don't like how USENET works, go elsewhere. But it's
    > rude and
    > arrogant to ask everyone else to do things they way you
    > like just
    > because it makes things easier for you. There is a give
    > and take on
    > USENET, and you are demanding that everyone conform their
    > actions to
    > facilitate your taking and minimize anything they might
    > get out of it.
    >
    > Please stop being an ass and try to participate in the
    > give and take
    > of USENET. It is not your private store of helpful
    > experts.
    >
    > DS

    Why is there a lack of professionalism here, and not
    elsewhere? (there must be some reason).

  19. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    >> On Dec 17, 8:18 pm, "Peter Olcott"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Several other groups that I frequently visit consistently
    >>> maintain a much more professional decorum, I wonder why
    >>> there would be such a large difference?

    >> Still trying to tell everyone else how to behave? Should
    >> we run all
    >> our endless debates by you first to make sure they're
    >> acceptable?
    >>
    >> DS

    > Is it that the average Linux developer is much younger?
    > There must be some reason for the difference. Is disrespect
    > a intrinsic part of the Linux community?

    Perhaps the linux community is more concerned with coming
    up with the "best" (or perhaps "better proven") answer to
    somebody's problem instead of giving them what they think
    they want.

  20. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    On Dec 18, 4:34 am, "Peter Olcott" wrote:

    > Why is there a lack of professionalism here, and not
    > elsewhere? (there must be some reason).

    You wandered in and told everyone that they were doing things wrong
    and had better do things his way, providing him free assistance to his
    exact specifications with the utmost efficiency. Now you complain
    about a lack of professionalism?

    When someone demands that you do things his way, so that he can take
    the most from you without any chance of hist giving anything back, not
    responding with an obscenity is sufficient professionalism.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast