Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it - Linux

This is a discussion on Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it - Linux ; "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message news:fk8guc$md6$2@scrotar.nss.udel.edu... > Peter Olcott wrote: >> "David Schwartz" wrote in message >> news:2113b665-f97d-4c92-ab85-e8c0fbfb2f06@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com... >>> On Dec 17, 8:18 pm, "Peter Olcott" >>> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> Several other groups that I frequently visit >>>> consistently ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> "David Schwartz" wrote in message

    >>> Still trying to tell everyone else how to behave? Should
    >>> we run all
    >>> our endless debates by you first to make sure they're
    >>> acceptable?
    >>>
    >>> DS

    >> Is it that the average Linux developer is much younger?
    >> There must be some reason for the difference. Is
    >> disrespect
    >> a intrinsic part of the Linux community?

    > Perhaps the linux community is more concerned with coming
    > up with the "best" (or perhaps "better proven") answer to
    > somebody's problem instead of giving them what they think
    > they want.

    What about all of the clearly disparaging remarks, where
    does this immaturity come from?

  2. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message
    >> Peter Olcott wrote:
    >>> "David Schwartz" wrote in message

    >>> Is it that the average Linux developer is much younger?
    >>> There must be some reason for the difference. Is
    >>> disrespect
    >>> a intrinsic part of the Linux community?

    >> Perhaps the linux community is more concerned with coming
    >> up with the "best" (or perhaps "better proven") answer to
    >> somebody's problem instead of giving them what they think
    >> they want.

    > What about all of the clearly disparaging remarks, where
    > does this immaturity come from?

    Do you mean the remarks including linux editors that are quite
    mature and still being improved being archaic, implications
    that people who have worked professionally in the computer
    industry for 20+ years cannot be productive, suggestions that
    the editors must not have features because they do not work
    under the terminal emulator you're using, etc? If you attack
    a community (or the community's pet editors), don't expect an
    enthusiastic response.

  3. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> "Douglas O'Neal" wrote in message

    >>> Perhaps the linux community is more concerned with
    >>> coming
    >>> up with the "best" (or perhaps "better proven") answer
    >>> somebody's problem instead of giving them what they
    >>> think
    >>> they want.

    >> What about all of the clearly disparaging remarks, where
    >> does this immaturity come from?

    > Do you mean the remarks including linux editors that are
    > quite
    > mature and still being improved being archaic,
    > implications
    > that people who have worked professionally in the computer
    > industry for 20+ years cannot be productive, suggestions
    > that
    > the editors must not have features because they do not
    > work
    > under the terminal emulator you're using, etc? If you
    > attack
    > a community (or the community's pet editors), don't expect
    > an
    > enthusiastic response.

    Some of the disparaging remarks that were directed at me had
    the demeanor of a junior high school student or younger.

  4. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    * Peter Olcott fired off this tart reply:

    > Some of the disparaging remarks that were directed at me had
    > the demeanor of a junior high school student or younger.

    Maybe you should go back to alt.philosophy.zen to continue your
    trolling with a more "philosophical" crowd.

    Feeling chippy with your recent honors?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:PpT9j.24733$N67.4396@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >* Peter Olcott fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Some of the disparaging remarks that were directed at me
    >> had
    >> the demeanor of a junior high school student or younger.

    > Maybe you should go back to alt.philosophy.zen to continue
    > your
    > trolling with a more "philosophical" crowd.
    >
    > Feeling chippy with your recent honors?
    >
    > --
    > Tux rox!

    I never experienced such immature demeanor (as I have cited
    above) from the MS Windows groups, what's up with this?

  6. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On 2007-12-18, Peter Olcott wrote:

    > I never experienced such immature demeanor (as I have cited
    > above) from the MS Windows groups, what's up with this?

    Still trolling, eh?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm continually AMAZED
    at at th'breathtaking effects

  7. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    If I was ever trolling I would have returned the immature
    demeanor that I was provided. All that I wanted was a
    specific answer to a specific technical question. I just
    don't see why this is so difficult for so many people here.

    It is certainly not this difficult on the Windows groups.
    Since there is a difference there must be a reason for the
    difference. When I ask what is the reason for this
    difference, the question is not at all rhetorical.

    "Grant Edwards" wrote in message
    > On 2007-12-18, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >
    >> I never experienced such immature demeanor (as I have
    >> cited
    >> above) from the MS Windows groups, what's up with this?

    > Still trolling, eh?
    >
    > --
    > Grant Edwards grante Yow!
    > I'm continually AMAZED
    > at at
    > th'breathtaking effects
    > visi.com of WIND
    > EROSION!!

  8. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    If I know the reason for the difference, then I can adjust
    my own behavior to get more effective results in the future.

    "Grant Edwards" wrote in message
    > On 2007-12-18, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >
    >> I never experienced such immature demeanor (as I have
    >> cited
    >> above) from the MS Windows groups, what's up with this?

    > Still trolling, eh?
    >
    > --
    > Grant Edwards grante Yow!
    > I'm continually AMAZED
    > at at
    > th'breathtaking effects
    > visi.com of WIND
    > EROSION!!

  9. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Peter Olcott" writes:
    > If I was ever trolling I would have returned the immature
    > demeanor that I was provided. All that I wanted was a
    > specific answer to a specific technical question. I just
    > don't see why this is so difficult for so many people here.
    >
    > It is certainly not this difficult on the Windows groups.
    > Since there is a difference there must be a reason for the
    > difference. When I ask what is the reason for this
    > difference,

    Didn't you know that Linux is not as easy to use as Windows?
    [SCNR]

  10. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On 2007-12-18, Peter Olcott wrote:

    > If I know the reason for the difference, then I can adjust
    > my own behavior to get more effective results in the future.

    In addition to the excellent suggestions you've already been
    given, you could start giving people the impression you've got
    a clue by stopping the top-posting.

    Perhaps this will also be helpful:

    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm wet! I'm wild!
    at
    visi.com

  11. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    "Rainer Weikusat" wrote in message
    > "Peter Olcott" writes:
    >> If I was ever trolling I would have returned the immature
    >> demeanor that I was provided. All that I wanted was a
    >> specific answer to a specific technical question. I just
    >> don't see why this is so difficult for so many people
    >> here.
    >>
    >> It is certainly not this difficult on the Windows groups.
    >> Since there is a difference there must be a reason for
    >> the
    >> difference. When I ask what is the reason for this
    >> difference,

    > Didn't you know that Linux is not as easy to use as
    > Windows?
    > [SCNR]

    Command line interfaces are generally far less complex (far
    fewer details) than GUI based interfaces. My question is why
    did so many people spend so much effort avoiding my
    question, rather than simply answering it?

  12. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    I top post because it is more clear what I am responding to
    with all of the verbose signature lines top positing places
    my response closer to the material that I am responding to.
    When there is only a single line signature, I generally
    bottom post.

    > On 2007-12-18, Peter Olcott wrote:
    >
    >> If I know the reason for the difference, then I can
    >> adjust
    >> my own behavior to get more effective results in the
    >> future.

    > In addition to the excellent suggestions you've already
    > been
    > given, you could start giving people the impression you've
    > got
    > a clue by stopping the top-posting.
    >
    > Perhaps this will also be helpful:

    > --
    > Grant Edwards grante Yow!
    > I'm wet! I'm wild!
    > at
    > visi.com

  13. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > "Rainer Weikusat" wrote in message
    >> "Peter Olcott" writes:
    >>> If I was ever trolling I would have returned the immature
    >>> demeanor that I was provided. All that I wanted was a
    >>> specific answer to a specific technical question. I just
    >>> don't see why this is so difficult for so many people
    >>> here.
    >>>
    >>> It is certainly not this difficult on the Windows groups.
    >>> Since there is a difference there must be a reason for
    >>> the
    >>> difference. When I ask what is the reason for this
    >>> difference,

    >> Didn't you know that Linux is not as easy to use as
    >> Windows?
    >> [SCNR]

    > Command line interfaces are generally far less complex (far
    > fewer details) than GUI based interfaces. My question is why
    > did so many people spend so much effort avoiding my
    > question, rather than simply answering it?

    It looks like a lot of people took the time to give a solution
    to your problem. This is different (in this case) than answering
    your question. If you present a non-problem and look for an
    answer to it, you're going to be disappointed.

  14. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    On 2007-12-18, Peter Olcott wrote:

    > I top post because it is more clear what I am responding to
    > with all of the verbose signature lines top positing places
    > my response closer to the material that I am responding to.
    > When there is only a single line signature, I generally
    > bottom post.

    Real news clients automatically delete the signatures when
    replying.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'll show you MY
    at telex number if you show me

  15. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    Peter Olcott wrote:

    > "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    >> On Dec 17, 8:18 pm, "Peter Olcott"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Several other groups that I frequently visit consistently
    >>> maintain a much more professional decorum, I wonder why
    >>> there would be such a large difference?

    >> Still trying to tell everyone else how to behave? Should
    >> we run all
    >> our endless debates by you first to make sure they're
    >> acceptable?
    >>
    >> DS

    > Is it that the average Linux developer is much younger?
    > There must be some reason for the difference. Is disrespect
    > a intrinsic part of the Linux community?

    ROTFL, I've been a professional developer (ie I get paid) for about 40
    years now.

    Jerry

  16. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    Peter Olcott wrote:

    > "David Schwartz" wrote in message

    >>> I sure don't see it that way. I ask a simple question,
    >>> and
    >>> people argue on and on endlessly about whether or not the
    >>> question is appropriate? Now that seems rude to me.

    >> If you don't like how USENET works, go elsewhere. But it's
    >> rude and
    >> arrogant to ask everyone else to do things they way you
    >> like just
    >> because it makes things easier for you. There is a give
    >> and take on
    >> USENET, and you are demanding that everyone conform their
    >> actions to
    >> facilitate your taking and minimize anything they might
    >> get out of it.
    >>
    >> Please stop being an ass and try to participate in the
    >> give and take
    >> of USENET. It is not your private store of helpful
    >> experts.
    >>
    >> DS

    > Why is there a lack of professionalism here, and not
    > elsewhere? (there must be some reason).

    I'd call it a lack of tolerance for BS, again welcome to usenet! If
    you find it too offensive, then _pay_ someone for advice.

    Jerry

  17. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

  18. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess my reason for asking it

    * Peter Olcott fired off this tart reply:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:PpT9j.24733$N67.4396@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
    >>
    >> Feeling chippy with your recent honors?

    > I never experienced such immature demeanor (as I have cited
    > above) from the MS Windows groups, what's up with this?

    Then you've never tried trolling as MS/Windows group. Try this one:

    alt.os.windows-xp

    Just ask a similar level of question there. They'll love ya for it.

    I'll give Kadaitcha Man the heads up that you'll be there soon.

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    On Dec 18, 10:58 am, "Peter Olcott" wrote:

    > If I was ever trolling I would have returned the immature
    > demeanor that I was provided. All that I wanted was a
    > specific answer to a specific technical question. I just
    > don't see why this is so difficult for so many people here.

    Because USENET is a give and take. It is not your personal support
    service where a pantheon of experts labor for your pleasure.

    > It is certainly not this difficult on the Windows groups.
    > Since there is a difference there must be a reason for the
    > difference. When I ask what is the reason for this
    > difference, the question is not at all rhetorical.

    Perhaps you were less obnoxious on those groups. Perhaps you had a
    history of giving on those groups that excused your taking. Perhaps
    you were simply lucky.

    DS

  20. Re: Please simply answer this question and don't second guess myreason for asking it

    On Dec 18, 11:56 am, "Peter Olcott" wrote:

    > I top post because it is more clear what I am responding to

    Actually, that makes it impossible to tell what you're responding to.

    > with all of the verbose signature lines top positing places
    > my response closer to the material that I am responding to.

    Huh? You can cut other people's signatures and yours goes at the very
    end.

    > When there is only a single line signature, I generally
    > bottom post.

    Cut anyone else's signature or leave it just above yours. I'm not sure
    I understand what you think the problem is. Top posting destroys
    conversation flow.

    DS