[News] Mass Migration to GNU/Linux in India Continue, Microsoft Gets Nervous, Aggressive - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Mass Migration to GNU/Linux in India Continue, Microsoft Gets Nervous, Aggressive - Linux ; Migrating to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Tamil Nadu’s schools were running Microsoft Windows on a horde of aging | machines—1,880 servers and around 30,000 desktops. The OS was in need for a | refresh; however, moving to Windows Vista ...

  1. [News] Mass Migration to GNU/Linux in India Continue, Microsoft Gets Nervous, Aggressive

    Migrating to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tamil Nadu’s schools were running Microsoft Windows on a horde of aging
    | machines—1,880 servers and around 30,000 desktops. The OS was in need for a
    | refresh; however, moving to Windows Vista looked like an expensive option
    | largely on account of the increased hardware requirement. ELCOT decided to
    | move its own systems from Windows to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE
    | Linux Enterprise Desktop.
    `----

    http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...pecial11.shtml

    Is Microsoft really scared of Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now having seen this, I was left with a smile on my face because obviously
    | the top Microsoft Execs are spending sleepless nights thinking about the
    | inroads that Linux has made especially in the server arena.
    `----

    http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/1...-of-linux.html

    Related:

    ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu, India is the Information Technology
    | arm of Government of TamilNadu, India. ELCOT is a fully owned Government
    | Company. ELCOT migrated all its operations to suse linux OS within a
    | period of 12 months. This video shares the success story of ELCOT in
    | the suse linux migration (June 2007)
    `----

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc

    Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
    | governments keen on adopting this technology.
    `----

    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2283777.cms

    Time for a switch?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is powerful, easy to use and free. Naturally, it’s becoming the
    | Operating System of choice for many internet aficionados. *
    `----

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/P...ow/2257068.cms

    Linux becoming visible on desktops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Penguin (named Tux) is finally making inroads as an operating system (OS)
    | on desktops too. While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak
    | of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent
    | market share in the country when it comes to desktops – the lion’s share
    | going to Microsoft Windows. * *
    `----

    http://www.business-standard.com/com...Left=0&chkFlg=

    Open Source - An Unstoppable Giant *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Presently, surfing the internet portal, checking bank balance online, booking
    | railway tickets, searching jobs, logging in to a matrimonial site, or paying
    | insurance premiums is often done by the application of open source Linux
    | operating system. *
    `----

    http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/O...82455-911.html

    Open Source and the SMB

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | SMBs are getting attracted towards Linux-based servers. Menon says that over
    | 70 percent of customers plan to implement Linux-based solutions in some
    | manner in the next two years, and the awareness of Linux and its benefits are
    | high in the SMB segment. He says, “Less restrictive licensing policies and
    | the ability to bundle all the bits and pieces into one comprehensive package,
    | instead of first selling the OS, and then charging for access licences and
    | every small tool and add on facility is something that SMBs appreciate.” * * *
    `----

    http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...source01.shtml

    PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
    | being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
    | not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=3114

    Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
    | systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
    | Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
    | release here said.
    `----

    http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus...0707052027.htm

    Indian dealers are squealers over Microsoft piracy raids

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The resellers have also planned boycotts against Microsoft.
    | Those participating in the strike agreed to stop all purchases
    | of Microsoft products for this quarter.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...est_microsoft/

    Intensified Battle Lines

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some years back Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) spokesperson
    | Steven D'Aprano had posed a most intriguing question, "If Microsoft
    | has a problem with piracy, it shouldn't be blamed on OEMs who sell
    | PCs with Linux pre-installed or no operating system at all. Should
    | we discourage supermarkets from selling plain bread, because
    | shoppers might steal butter from elsewhere?"
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | For long now a tag has been associated with Linux. Industry players
    | and resellers say Linux has become a smart, official, cheap and
    | convenient form of piracy. The charge, is however, outrightly
    | rejected by the Linux vendors.
    |
    | At their end, open source vendors will not miss an opportunity to
    | assert that anyone who has benefited out of piracy is the
    | proprietary vendors, like Microsoft.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Partners are already moving close to Linux vendors for various
    | reasons. The days to come will, therefore, offer interesting
    | battle lines unfolding between MS and open source players.
    `----

    http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Co...80562-751.html
    http://tinyurl.com/37n6do

  2. Re: [News] Mass Migration to GNU/Linux in India Continue, MicrosoftGets Nervous, Aggressive

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Migrating to Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Tamil Nadu’s schools were running Microsoft Windows on a horde of aging
    > | machines—1,880 servers and around 30,000 desktops. The OS was in need for a
    > | refresh; however, moving to Windows Vista looked like an expensive option
    > | largely on account of the increased hardware requirement. ELCOT decided to
    > | move its own systems from Windows to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE
    > | Linux Enterprise Desktop.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...pecial11.shtml

    > ELCOT rolled out SUSE Linux Enterprise Server to the school servers, which are now 100% Linux-based. The company then worked with teachers to design a preloaded set of applications, which could be delivered to the 30,000 new PCs, along with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. All the new PCs that the organization purchases for schools come preloaded with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. Umashankar said, “Novell has provided excellent support for training, helping us to apply a Tamil voice-over to their computer-based training software, and delivering dual-language instruction manuals. The training is intuitive, and we are confident that the new solution will be popular with both teachers and students.”

+ Reply to Thread