Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files - Linux

This is a discussion on Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files - Linux ; I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics). Will the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

  1. Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files

    I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).

    Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load
    these later, that's not a big deal).

    In short, what will the below files allow me to do?

    Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    This is not a modern machine.

    "thanks"

    RL

    puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB

    current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

  2. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:38:15 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    > RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    > (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).
    >
    > Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    > Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    > have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load
    > these later, that's not a big deal).

    Of course they have apps on them, they have the entire distro on them.
    Both are very small, not as fancy as full-size distros, but perfectly
    functional. If you'd bothered to look them up on distrowatch or gone over
    to their websites you'd know that.

    > In short, what will the below files allow me to do?

    They're not 'files'. They're ISO images. Burn them as bootable CD images.
    You do know how, don't you?

    > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    > in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    > This is not a modern machine.

    We know that.

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy.iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:38:15 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    > RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    > (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).
    >
    > Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    > Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    > have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load these
    > later, that's not a big deal).
    >
    > In short, what will the below files allow me to do?
    >
    > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do, in
    > your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware. This
    > is not a modern machine.
    >
    > "thanks"
    >
    > RL
    >
    > puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB
    >
    > current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

    How much RAM do you have?

  4. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    > RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    > (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).

    Why not just try one of the many Linux-on-a-CD's,
    eg Knoppix or Fedora KDE Live CD?
    These will give you a good idea how Linux will run on your machine.

  5. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:38:15 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    > RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    > (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).
    >
    > Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    > Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    > have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load
    > these later, that's not a big deal).
    >
    > In short, what will the below files allow me to do?
    >
    > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    > in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    > This is not a modern machine.
    >
    > "thanks"
    >
    > RL
    >
    > puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB
    >
    > current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

    1) how much RAM?
    2) they will probably boot
    3) using a Live CD, it is not even necessary to have a hard drive. All
    that is needed is the ability to boot from the CD.
    4) they both containall the apps you're likely to need - certainly
    several web browsers.
    5) burn them as 'ISO image' rather than as a data CD.

  6. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy.iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:38:15 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    > RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    > (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).
    >
    > Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    > Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    > have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load these
    > later, that's not a big deal).
    >
    > In short, what will the below files allow me to do?
    >
    > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do, in
    > your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware. This
    > is not a modern machine.
    >
    > "thanks"
    >
    > RL
    >
    > puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB
    >
    > current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

    Why don't you just burn the ISOs to CD and try them? You might actually
    learn someting.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:38:15 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    > RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    > (real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).
    >
    > Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    > Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    > have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load
    > these later, that's not a big deal).
    >
    > In short, what will the below files allow me to do?
    >
    > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    > in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    > This is not a modern machine.
    >
    > "thanks"
    >
    > RL
    >
    > puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB
    >
    > current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

    You may also be interested in the 'multi distro' CD. It's a Live CD which
    includes half a dozen or so distros all on one CD. You boot to a menu and
    select which one to boot. You should be able to find it at
    multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html.

  8. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 13, 3:53 pm, Kier wrote:

    > > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    > > in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    > > This is not a modern machine.

    > We know that.

    Kier you like to see yourself in print I see. You didn't answer my
    question, because presumeably you don't know. You answer consisted of
    "look at distrowatch, it's in there" and telling me what an .iso file
    is, which I already knew.

    "thanks" (for nothing)

    RL

  9. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 13, 5:06 pm, Timothy Murphy
    wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:

    > Why not just try one of the many Linux-on-a-CD's,
    > eg Knoppix or Fedora KDE Live CD?
    > These will give you a good idea how Linux will run on your machine.

    Because I can't find one (I'm in the Balkans now, people still drive
    horses where I'm posting from), and, I can't even download one on my
    supposed "DSL" connection (averages, after the frequent cuts in
    service, about 100 kb/s, but the main problem is the linux mirrors are
    mostly bandwidth limited by the owners, on purpose, so you have to pay
    them to give you a faster connection. Typically these Linux mirrors
    are topping off at about 30 kb/s, which will take many hours to
    download a 600 MB .ISO file)

    RL

  10. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 13, 6:52 pm, Rick wrote:

    > Why don't you just burn the ISOs to CD and try them? You might actually
    > learn someting.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Why don't you stfu? Have nothing to say, then say nothing bozo.

    RL

  11. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 13, 10:23 pm, ray wrote:
    > You may also be interested in the 'multi distro' CD. It's a Live CD which
    > includes half a dozen or so distros all on one CD. You boot to a menu and
    > select which one to boot. You should be able to find it at
    > multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html.

    Ray,

    sounds good, but I got this error:

    You tried to access the address http://www.multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html,
    which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address
    (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the
    page.

    RL

  12. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 13, 3:57 pm, General Schvantzkopf
    wrote:

    > > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do, in
    > > your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware. This
    > > is not a modern machine.

    > > "thanks"

    > > RL

    > > puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB

    > > current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

    > How much RAM do you have?

    I have I think either 256 MB or 512 MB (I'm not near the target
    machine so I can't be more precise)

    RL

  13. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    * raylopez99
    ----
    | You tried to access the address http://www.multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html,

    GIYF. Try
    http://multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html
    without the 'www' which was added in your try.

    R'

  14. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:58:09 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Dec 13, 6:52 pm, Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> Why don't you just burn the ISOs to CD and try them? You might actually
    >> learn someting.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Why don't you stfu? Have nothing to say, then say nothing bozo.

    As always, you prove you don't really want to get Linux working on this
    mahcine of yours.

    I have told you before...
    You can get install CDs/DVDs from magazines.
    You can research those same magazines for current distros that will work
    on your machine.
    You can burn the ISOs you have, install them and try them out.
    And yet all you do is whine.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    * raylopez99 fired off this tart reply:

    Buh bye. I'm washing this bird poop from my eyes.

    --
    Tux rox!

  16. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > Why not just try one of the many Linux-on-a-CD's,
    > eg Knoppix or Fedora KDE Live CD?
    > These will give you a good idea how Linux will run on your machine.

    Go and re-read the OP's post again. It's not a recent enough machine to
    do anything useful with either KDE or Gnome.

    He's going to need a lightweight WM (I believe XFCE is the currently
    recommended solution for that.)

    raylopez99, I can't offer you guidance on the two ISO files you suggested,
    but I can try to help you avoid things that definitely won't work. (Until
    very recently I used to run my home server on a 233 MHz Pentium, also
    circa late nineties. I didn't bother with graphics, though, unless I
    was desperate - but it could run^H^H^H crawl mozilla. So I think I know
    where you're at.)

    Chris

  17. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, ?Puppy .iso files

    Rick wrote:
    > You can get install CDs/DVDs from magazines.
    > You can research those same magazines for current distros that will work
    > on your machine.

    none of these will help on his old hardware. Look again at the spec:
    it's small.

    Chris

  18. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:55:15 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Dec 13, 3:53 pm, Kier wrote:
    >>
    >> > Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    >> > in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    >> > This is not a modern machine.

    >> We know that.
    >>

    > Kier you like to see yourself in print I see. You didn't answer my
    > question, because presumeably you don't know. You answer consisted of
    > "look at distrowatch, it's in there" and telling me what an .iso file
    > is, which I already knew.

    If you knew, what did you ask for? Stop trolling, if you actually *want*
    anyone to take you seriously. Obviously you don't.

    --
    Kier

  19. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    > > Kier you like to see yourself in print I see. You didn't answer my
    > > question, because presumeably you don't know. You answer consisted of
    > > "look at distrowatch, it's in there" and telling me what an .iso file
    > > is, which I already knew.

    > If you knew, what did you ask for? Stop trolling, if you actually *want*
    > anyone to take you seriously. Obviously you don't.
    >
    > --
    > Kier

    I gave RL the benefit of the doubt the first time I exchanged posts
    with him, but he was uniformly rude and insulting. I don't think he's
    in cahoots with flatfish, however, he just can't figure out that you
    can't expect people to help you if you insult them.

  20. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 14, 8:56 am, Chris Davies wrote:
    > Go and re-read the OP's post again. It's not a recent enough machine to
    > do anything useful with either KDE or Gnome.
    >
    > He's going to need a lightweight WM (I believe XFCE is the currently
    > recommended solution for that.)
    >
    > raylopez99, I can't offer you guidance on the two ISO files you suggested,
    > but I can try to help you avoid things that definitely won't work. (Until
    > very recently I used to run my home server on a 233 MHz Pentium, also
    > circa late nineties. I didn't bother with graphics, though, unless I
    > was desperate - but it could run^H^H^H crawl mozilla. So I think I know
    > where you're at.)

    AT LAST! Somebody who can read an English sentence properly. An
    Englishman no less. Logic is their forte, unlike the Americans.

    Well thanks for the moral support Chris Davies. Do tell me what
    distro did work for you, time and weather permitting. What I plan to
    do is as soon as I'm near the target machine (it's on the east coast
    USA, and I'm in the Balkans at the moment): I will try and get it
    working with the Windows NT OS and hardware that it's running on now
    (I think it might be as simple as changing the case and/or power
    supply fan, which might have burnt out), and failing that, will try
    and install Puppy Linux, DSL, and Mandriva, in that order, using
    three .ISO files I painfully downloaded here (took between 2.5 to 4
    hours for each download even with my "DSL" modem). Failing that, I
    might just buy SUSE or try and get something similar from the local
    computer store, and, failing that, I might just reinstall Windows 98
    (which I have) or NT (if I can find the disk for NT 4.0) after wiping
    the HD clean.

    Linux appeals to me since this user is so primitive (they do just
    email and light word processing) that they don't bother with any kind
    of virus protection or firewall (arguably a firewall is not that
    critical for a dial-up modem setup, but virus protection sure is), and
    switching to Linux might insulate them from the many virsus that seem
    to be in their computer, the last time I checked.

    Thanks,

    RL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast