Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files - Linux

This is a discussion on Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files - Linux ; Kier writes: > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:11:20 +0000, spike1 wrote: > >> Kier did eloquently scribble: >>> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:49:13 +0000, spike1 wrote: >> >>>> William Poaster did eloquently scribble: >>>>> Tough luck isn't it. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 52 of 52

  1. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Kier writes:

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:11:20 +0000, spike1 wrote:
    >
    >> Kier did eloquently scribble:

    >>> That would be 'sow', I think :-)

    >> /me jabs kier with a needle.
    >> :-p

    > Youch!

    Arr, how sweet. A COLA love in.

  2. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:12:38 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Kier writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:11:20 +0000, spike1 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kier did eloquently scribble:

    >>> /me jabs kier with a needle.
    >>> :-p

    >> Youch!

    > Arr, how sweet. A COLA love in.

    Are you quite incapable of keeping your snout out of anything here? Or is
    it your mission in life to be a complete twat when a two posters exchange
    a joke?

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Kier writes:

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 15:12:38 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Kier writes:

    >>> Youch!

    >> Arr, how sweet. A COLA love in.

    > Are you quite incapable of keeping your snout out of anything here? Or is
    > it your mission in life to be a complete twat when a two posters exchange
    > a joke?

    What joke?

    --
    La ocasión es como el fierro: se ha de machacar caliente.
    -- José Hernandez. (1834-1886) Poeta argentino. De "El gaucho

  4. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    >> Are you quite incapable of keeping your snout out of anything here? Or is
    >> it your mission in life to be a complete twat when a two posters exchange
    >> a joke?

    > What joke?

    None of your sodding business
    As usual.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  5. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Hadron wrote:
    > Kier writes:

    >> Are you quite incapable of keeping your snout out of anything here?
    >> Or is it your mission in life to be a complete twat when a two
    >> posters exchange a joke?

    > What joke?

    The joke where spike injected Kier with Ebola or AIDS or Malaria or TB or
    one of those other African distros.

  6. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    "DFS" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Kier writes:

    >>> Are you quite incapable of keeping your snout out of anything here?
    >>> Or is it your mission in life to be a complete twat when a two
    >>> posters exchange a joke?

    >> What joke?

    > The joke where spike injected Kier with Ebola or AIDS or Malaria or TB or
    > one of those other African distros.

    Aha "sew" that's the joke!! (girly giggle).

  7. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:10:08 -0500, DFS wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Kier writes:

    >>> Are you quite incapable of keeping your snout out of anything here?
    >>> Or is it your mission in life to be a complete twat when a two
    >>> posters exchange a joke?

    >> What joke?

    > The joke where spike injected Kier with Ebola or AIDS or Malaria or TB or
    > one of those other African distros.

    You are dredging even further down the bottom of the barrel than Hadron.
    Disgusting. Particularly when you are a constant spelling lamer.

    --
    Kier

  8. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:14:35 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> What joke?

    >> The joke where spike injected Kier with Ebola or AIDS or Malaria or TB or
    >> one of those other African distros.

    > Aha "sew" that's the joke!! (girly giggle).

    You're a pathetic twat. Any friendly exchange between Linux advocates is
    painful to you, is it? Get a life.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Sunday 16 Dec 2007 11:11 am, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote in
    comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > Kier did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:49:13 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    >>> William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    >>>
    >>> And of course, the one I added a couple of posts up...
    >>> "You reap what you sew"

    >> That would be 'sow', I think :-)

    > /me jabs kier with a needle.
    > :-p

    LOL!

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  10. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Chris Davies writes:
    >Go and re-read the OP's post again. It's not a recent enough machine to
    >do anything useful with either KDE or Gnome.
    >
    >He's going to need a lightweight WM (I believe XFCE is the currently
    >recommended solution for that.)

    Another distro aimed at low-end machines is www.wolvix.com

  11. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Chris Davies writes:
    >Go and re-read the OP's post again. It's not a recent enough machine to
    >do anything useful with either KDE or Gnome.
    >
    >He's going to need a lightweight WM (I believe XFCE is the currently
    >recommended solution for that.)

    Another distro aimed at low-end machines is www.wolvix.org
    using XFCE and Fluxbox

  12. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files

    In article <214036df-2095-4cef-98dd-18a8013aa3cc@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    raylopez99 wrote:

    I've been a long time away. But I just couldn't resis jumping in...

    >I want to boot Linux on a Pentium II 1998 or so machine, with limited
    >RAM and a small HD (about 20 GB or so), a CD-ROM and floppy, and a
    >(real) modem (I think it's US Robotics).

    Why? Such hardware is truly a waste of time and energy when one can get
    a decent modern machine for well under $200 (sans monitor) with a good
    sale.

    >Will the below .iso files, if I burn them onto a CD, allow me to boot
    >Linux and surf the web (I assume that the files, being so small, don't
    >have any apps on them, like a web browser, but somehow I can load
    >these later, that's not a big deal).
    >
    >In short, what will the below files allow me to do?
    >
    >Please don't speculate. Don't tell me what you think they should do,
    >in your mind's eye. Read the above carefully. Look at my hardware.
    >This is not a modern machine.

    Which is why you are wasting your time. BTW everyone can only speculate
    because they don't have your hardware.

    Also you don't specify the amount of RAM. It's the critical factor when
    operating with low horsepower old machines. You get a completely
    different experience with 32MB of RAM than you do with 512 MB.

    So it's all speculation anyway.

    >"thanks"
    >
    >RL
    >
    >puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso (Puppy Linux) 95 MB
    >
    >current.iso (Damn Small Linux) 49.9 MB

    My students have booted both of these on 2000/2001 era machines with AMD
    K6 450 Mhz with 64 MB RAM and 6GB hard disk. They work. They are slow.

    But don't expect decent performance. The hardware is simply too old.

    BAJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3