Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files - Linux

This is a discussion on Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy.iso files - Linux ; On Dec 14, 11:54 am, Kier wrote: > > Kier you like to see yourself in print I see. You didn't answer my > > question, because presumeably you don't know. You answer consisted of > > "look at distrowatch, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

  1. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 14, 11:54 am, Kier wrote:

    > > Kier you like to see yourself in print I see. You didn't answer my
    > > question, because presumeably you don't know. You answer consisted of
    > > "look at distrowatch, it's in there" and telling me what an .iso file
    > > is, which I already knew.

    > If you knew, what did you ask for? Stop trolling, if you actually *want*
    > anyone to take you seriously. Obviously you don't.

    YOu misuderstood: I want advice on these specific distros*, and if
    they have the functionality to get on the net.

    Not advice on where to look, but advice from you people here.

    Got it?

    Got Windoze?

    And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me when
    I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the parable of
    the boy that cried wolf?

    RL

  2. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:39:35 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Dec 14, 11:54 am, Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > Kier you like to see yourself in print I see. You didn't answer my
    >> > question, because presumeably you don't know. You answer consisted of
    >> > "look at distrowatch, it's in there" and telling me what an .iso file
    >> > is, which I already knew.

    >> If you knew, what did you ask for? Stop trolling, if you actually *want*
    >> anyone to take you seriously. Obviously you don't.

    > YOu misuderstood: I want advice on these specific distros*, and if
    > they have the functionality to get on the net.

    You know the answer. We've told you: yes, yes, yes. Virtually all distros
    will do that.

    > Not advice on where to look, but advice from you people here.

    That *is* the advice. You need to learn for yourself, not to be spoonfed.
    Why should we tell you everything, when you can find it yourself, easily?
    Do you need to be led everywhere by the hand?

    > Got it?
    >
    > Got Windoze?

    Nope. Why should I? I'm a Linux user, I don't need Windows.

    > And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me when
    > I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the parable of
    > the boy that cried wolf?

    Yes. Which means you should stop trolling.

    --
    Kier

  3. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 14, 12:51 pm, Kier wrote:

    > > YOu misuderstood: I want advice on these specific distros*, and if
    > > they have the functionality to get on the net.

    > You know the answer. We've told you: yes, yes, yes. Virtually all distros
    > will do that.

    "Virtually" Kier? Like virtual reality? You don't know and are
    'selling' LInux again, aren't ya?

    > > Not advice on where to look, but advice from you people here.

    > That *is* the advice. You need to learn for yourself, not to be spoonfed.
    > Why should we tell you everything, when you can find it yourself, easily?
    > Do you need to be led everywhere by the hand?

    Because dumbo people can't be reinstalling Windows from a clean
    reinstall everytime Linux screws up your machine, that's why.

    > > Got it?

    > > Got Windoze?

    > Nope. Why should I? I'm a Linux user, I don't need Windows.

    OK. You and the 10 other people in this crummy group. The rest of the
    world uses Mac or Windows OS.

    > > And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me when
    > > I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the parable of
    > > the boy that cried wolf?

    > Yes. Which means you should stop trolling.

    Fool the lesson was the last time the boy cried wolf he was serious,
    and nobody took him seriously, and the wolf ate the whole gaddamn
    village.

    WHat am I doing here on a Friday night chatting with a fool like you?

    You're fired Kier. Don't come to work Monday. Workman's comp for
    you.

    RL

  4. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    RL, I personally give you the benefit of doubt since I also combine
    trolling with non trolling from time to time.

    My own thinking about all this is that if you were in the US, for
    about $100 or $200, you could buy a used computer that is 10 times
    better than the POS that you have. Not good enough to run Vista, but
    perfect for Linux and OK for XP.

    That's probably a better way to go if your time is worth anything.

  5. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]

    So anyway, it was like, 21:39 CET Dec 14 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    raylopez99 was all like, "Dude,

    > And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me
    > when I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the
    > parable of the boy that cried wolf?

    He got mauled in the end, didn't he? I think we can all learn
    something from there.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    23:03:19 up 19 days, 7:16, 4 users, load average: 0.08, 0.08, 0.02

  6. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, ?Puppy .iso files

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > Well thanks for the moral support Chris Davies. Do tell me what
    > distro did work for you, time and weather permitting.

    Well, I'm a Debian person myself, so I tend to run Debian "testing".
    Mind you, I now have a 700 MHz P3 as my home server, and my laptop is
    a DELL Latitude D820 (dual core, big screen, lots of memory...).

    I'd advise you to stay away from any of the big distros like Ubuntu
    (sadly), Fedora, Mandriva, or SuSE, unless you're prepared to spend the
    time yourself replacing their wonderfully sorted Gnome/KDE configurations
    with XFCE.

    On the other hand, a quick google suggests Xubuntu and others listed on
    http://www.xfce.org/download/distros. Note that I haven't tried them,
    so I can't specifically recommend them from direct experience. However,
    Xubuntu is the one I personally would try on such hardware (it's the
    closest to Debian).

    Good luck,
    Chris

  7. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:05:43 -0800, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Dec 14, 12:51 pm, Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > YOu misuderstood: I want advice on these specific distros*, and if
    >> > they have the functionality to get on the net.

    >> You know the answer. We've told you: yes, yes, yes. Virtually all distros
    >> will do that.
    >>

    > "Virtually" Kier? Like virtual reality? You don't know and are
    > 'selling' LInux again, aren't ya?

    I gave you the exact truth. I told you the answer to your question. As you
    seem rather hard of understanding, here it is again. YES.

    >> > Not advice on where to look, but advice from you people here.

    >> That *is* the advice. You need to learn for yourself, not to be spoonfed.
    >> Why should we tell you everything, when you can find it yourself, easily?
    >> Do you need to be led everywhere by the hand?

    > Because dumbo people can't be reinstalling Windows from a clean
    > reinstall everytime Linux screws up your machine, that's why.

    We're talking about *you*. Do you need to be spoonfed everything? And how
    can Linux screw up anything on a machine you tell us is intended only for
    Linux? Perhaps you were lying.

    >> > Got it?

    >> > Got Windoze?

    >> Nope. Why should I? I'm a Linux user, I don't need Windows.
    >>

    > OK. You and the 10 other people in this crummy group. The rest of the
    > world uses Mac or Windows OS.

    There are over two thousand subscribers to this group alone, and there are
    hundreds more Linux groups. Not to mention all the LUGs, magazine readers,
    Linux podcast listeners, and millions of others using Linux out there.

    >> > And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me when
    >> > I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the parable of
    >> > the boy that cried wolf?

    >> Yes. Which means you should stop trolling.
    >>

    > Fool the lesson was the last time the boy cried wolf he was serious,
    > and nobody took him seriously, and the wolf ate the whole gaddamn
    > village.

    I know. So you should stop trolling, because you are just being a fool.
    The people here have nog memories and little patience for people who ****
    them around, as you have been doing. In the story, the villagers lost out
    - here, you will.

    > WHat am I doing here on a Friday night chatting with a fool like you?

    Beggin for information, which I've given you a dozen times over. So, which
    of us is really the fool?

    > You're fired Kier. Don't come to work Monday. Workman's comp for
    > you.

    Fire me? Ahhahahhahahha! Don't make me laugh.

    You're the only fool here. I have given you reams of advice, all of which
    you have ignored in order to troll. No one here or in comp.os.linux.misc
    is remotely obliged to assist you, or do your bidding. Get that through
    your head and some progress will be made. Or contue to waste you own time
    trolling - you won't waste mine, since I would be amusing myself in COLA
    anyway.

    --
    Kier

  8. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    Ralf Fassel didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    > * raylopez99
    > | > You should be able to find it at
    > | > multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html.
    > ----
    > | You tried to access the address http://www.multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html,

    > GIYF. Try
    > http://multidistro.tlm-project.org/md_en.html
    > without the 'www' which was added in your try.

    Pitiful, isn't it.
    He can't even copy and paste a URL correctly, something a primary school kid
    can do with no trouble.

  9. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, ?Puppy .iso files

    In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    Chris Davies didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    > Rick wrote:
    >> You can get install CDs/DVDs from magazines.
    >> You can research those same magazines for current distros that will work
    >> on your machine.

    > none of these will help on his old hardware. Look again at the spec:
    > it's small.

    My first distro was SuSE 5.2
    And the specs on the machine I installed it on makes his look like a
    mainframe. ANY modern distro would install on his.
    OK, it might need a little more package selection and fine tuning, but ANY
    one compiled for 32bit intel x86 would work.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  10. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 14, 4:05 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Dec 14, 12:51 pm, Kier wrote:
    >
    > > > YOu misuderstood: I want advice on these specific distros*, and if
    > > > they have the functionality to get on the net.

    > > You know the answer. We've told you: yes, yes, yes. Virtually all distros
    > > will do that.

    > "Virtually" Kier? Like virtual reality? You don't know and are
    > 'selling' LInux again, aren't ya?

    He doesn't know every single distro, so the possibility exists that
    one doesn't have the functionality to get on the net. But I doubt it.
    So to answer your question, all distros have the functionality to get
    on the net.

    > > > Not advice on where to look, but advice from you people here.

    > > That *is* the advice. You need to learn for yourself, not to be spoonfed.
    > > Why should we tell you everything, when you can find it yourself, easily?
    > > Do you need to be led everywhere by the hand?

    > Because dumbo people can't be reinstalling Windows from a clean
    > reinstall everytime Linux screws up your machine, that's why.

    That's why every single person in response to every single Linux post
    from you has mentioned LiveCDs. No install.

    > > > Got it?

    > > > Got Windoze?

    > > Nope. Why should I? I'm a Linux user, I don't need Windows.

    > OK. You and the 10 other people in this crummy group. The rest of the
    > world uses Mac or Windows OS.
    >

    > > > And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me when
    > > > I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the parable of
    > > > the boy that cried wolf?

    > > Yes. Which means you should stop trolling.

    > Fool the lesson was the last time the boy cried wolf he was serious,
    > and nobody took him seriously, and the wolf ate the whole gaddamn
    > village.

    That's not the lesson at all. If you seriously think that the lesson
    of the boy who cried wolf was that the village should have taken him
    seriously the last time, then please disconnect from the Internet and
    kill yourself.

    > WHat am I doing here on a Friday night chatting with a fool like you?

    You obviously suck.

  11. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, ?Puppy .iso files

    * Chris Davies fired off this tart reply:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Well thanks for the moral support Chris Davies. Do tell me what
    >> distro did work for you, time and weather permitting.

    > Well, I'm a Debian person myself, so I tend to run Debian "testing".
    > Mind you, I now have a 700 MHz P3 as my home server, and my laptop is
    > a DELL Latitude D820 (dual core, big screen, lots of memory...).
    >
    > I'd advise you to stay away from any of the big distros like Ubuntu
    > (sadly), Fedora, Mandriva, or SuSE, unless you're prepared to spend the
    > time yourself replacing their wonderfully sorted Gnome/KDE configurations
    > with XFCE.

    I got Ubuntu to load on a no-name 380MHz K6 laptop with 96 Mb. Works,
    but I run fluxbox on it.

    --
    Tux rox!

  12. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    * Johan Lindquist fired off this tart reply:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    >
    > So anyway, it was like, 21:39 CET Dec 14 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > raylopez99 was all like, "Dude,
    >
    >> And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me
    >> when I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the
    >> parable of the boy that cried wolf?

    > He got mauled in the end, didn't he? I think we can all learn
    > something from there.

    What, that Ray Dopez is a sheep in wolf's clothing?

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL,Puppy .iso files

    On Dec 14, 1:08 pm, Ignoramus15323 15323.invalid> wrote:
    > RL, I personally give you the benefit of doubt since I also combine
    > trolling with non trolling from time to time.
    >
    > My own thinking about all this is that if you were in the US, for
    > about $100 or $200, you could buy a used computer that is 10 times
    > better than the POS that you have. Not good enough to run Vista, but
    > perfect for Linux and OK for XP.
    >
    > That's probably a better way to go if your time is worth anything.

    Well if I find such a PC I'll buy it. In the meantime I'm going to
    fix the POS I have.

    RL

  14. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    raylopez99 didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    > And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me when
    > I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the parable of
    > the boy that cried wolf?

    Yes, and I REALLY think it's time we reached the chapter where you get
    gobbled up.

  15. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    raylopez99 didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    >> That *is* the advice. You need to learn for yourself, not to be spoonfed.
    >> Why should we tell you everything, when you can find it yourself, easily?
    >> Do you need to be led everywhere by the hand?

    > Because dumbo people can't be reinstalling Windows from a clean
    > reinstall everytime Linux screws up your machine, that's why.

    And when was the last time linux "screwed up" someone's machine ray?
    Hmmm...

    I have a new suspicion about mr lopez...
    Special needs.
    Got to be.
    Inability to engage in polite conversation (or other social situations)
    Inability to follow simple instructions...
    Inability to do even the simplest of websearches...

    He's obviously high on the autistic spectrum with added ADHD and other
    learning difficulties.
    >> Nope. Why should I? I'm a Linux user, I don't need Windows.
    >>

    > OK. You and the 10 other people in this crummy group.

    And the millions of other people who don't bother with this group or usenet
    at all...

    > The rest of the
    > world uses Mac or Windows OS.

    MOST of. Yes, we know windows is the majority desktop OS.
    SO what?

    > Fool the lesson was the last time the boy cried wolf he was serious,
    > and nobody took him seriously, and the wolf ate the whole gaddamn
    > village.

    Yes, but here, there's a difference.
    The wolf is your trolling.
    So there is no threat to the rest of the community if they continue to view
    you as trolling. The only injured person... IS YOU.

    Which is, I imagine, fine by the rest of us...

    Or, to use another saying...
    You reap what you sew.

  16. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Saturday 15 Dec 2007 3:50 pm, Linonut wrote in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    > * Johan Lindquist fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    >>
    >> So anyway, it was like, 21:39 CET Dec 14 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> raylopez99 was all like, "Dude,
    >>
    >>> And yes, I do troll using this account but you got to believe me
    >>> when I say this time I'm not trolling. Didn't you ever hear the
    >>> parable of the boy that cried wolf?

    >> He got mauled in the end, didn't he? I think we can all learn
    >> something from there.

    > What, that Ray Dopez is a sheep in wolf's clothing?

    "....yes, I do troll using this account..."

    Then he says ....you got to believe me when I say this time I'm not
    trolling.

    Tough luck isn't it. Of course had he not trolled at ALL, people might have
    believed him. Another old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me
    twice..etc. And another: Once bitten, twice shy.

    He made his bed, he can lie in it AFAIC.
    Trolls [ALL of them] are the lowest form of life on Usenet.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  17. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    > Tough luck isn't it. Of course had he not trolled at ALL, people might have
    > believed him. Another old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me
    > twice..etc. And another: Once bitten, twice shy.

    And of course, the one I added a couple of posts up...
    "You reap what you sew"
    | in |good to you so far... |

  18. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:49:13 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    > William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    >> Tough luck isn't it. Of course had he not trolled at ALL, people might have
    >> believed him. Another old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me
    >> twice..etc. And another: Once bitten, twice shy.

    > And of course, the one I added a couple of posts up...
    > "You reap what you sew"

    That would be 'sow', I think :-)

    --
    Kier

  19. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    Kier did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:49:13 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    >> William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    >>> Tough luck isn't it. Of course had he not trolled at ALL, people might have
    >>> believed him. Another old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me
    >>> twice..etc. And another: Once bitten, twice shy.

    >> And of course, the one I added a couple of posts up...
    >> "You reap what you sew"

    > That would be 'sow', I think :-)

    /me jabs kier with a needle.
    :-p
    | in |good to you so far... |

  20. Re: Will either of these .iso files allow me to boot Linux? DSL, Puppy .iso files

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:11:20 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    > Kier did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:49:13 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    >>> William Poaster did eloquently scribble:
    >>>
    >>> And of course, the one I added a couple of posts up...
    >>> "You reap what you sew"

    >> That would be 'sow', I think :-)

    > /me jabs kier with a needle.
    > :-p