The World Series of Linux: Round 1

,----[ Quote ]
| But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the
| championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will
| determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS
| to compete to pick the best out of those distributions.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/204802194

Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing:

First Kubuntu Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also
| for enthusiasts. For beginners there is a draw. So I would recommend to use
| the distribution that is used by a friend who is willing to help you with
| your first step. From the results it seems like a beginner cannot do much
| wrong.
`----

http://www.yeap.de/blog2.0/archives/...pressions.html

Microsoft clings on to no leader (Ubuntu on the desktop and Red Hat on the
server).

The Big Three of Linux - a 52-week view

,----[ Qyote ]
| What are Red Hat, Novell, and Canonical going to have to do in the next 52
| weeks to in order to dominate the desktop and server Linux market?
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...-52-week-view/

Novell is the only one among these 3 which sold out to Microsoft. Despite the
misconduct, Novell will report on its financial state later today (expect
lies).

Related:

Shuttleworth: Microsoft Fracturing the Open-Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| "That's extortion and we should call it what it is," he said. "To say, as
| [Microsoft CEO Steve] Ballmer did, that there is undisclosed balance sheet
| liability, that's just extortion and we should refuse to get drawn into that
| game. On the other side, if Microsoft is concerned about its intellectual
| property, there is no one in the free software community that wants to
| violate anyone's IP. Disclose the patents and we'll fix the code.
| Alternatively, move on." * * *
|
| Microsoft has said it does disclose which patents are being violated, but
| only in one-on-one conversations with vendors. To Shuttleworth, that is not
| disclosure, because patents are public documents. *
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

[Mark Shuttleworth Interview]

,----[ Quote ]