Re: Another FAILED linux download! AGAIN! - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Another FAILED linux download! AGAIN! - Linux ; On Dec 12, 9:56 am, Ignoramus7955 wrote: > On 2007-12-12, raylopez99 wrote: > > > This is my fifth or sixth failed download. Just when I thought I > > found a LInux distro "Xubuntu", that will work on an ...

  1. Re: Another FAILED linux download! AGAIN!

    wrote:
    > On 2007-12-12, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    > > This is my fifth or sixth failed download. Just when I thought I
    > > found a LInux distro "Xubuntu", that will work on an old Pentium II
    > > machine with a BIOS before 1998, a Linux user tells me that Xubuntu's
    > > "Gutsy Gibbon" (the stupid name for their latest release) won't work
    > > on old machines (see below).

    > Have you actually tried installing it? I have similar linux running on
    > rather old machine.
    >
    > I would give it a shot, personally, I think that it should work. Make
    > sure that your boot partition is small (200 megabytes) and goes first
    > on the drive, that's where the BIOS issues usually show up.

    Thanks, I've never heard of this before (unless you're saying very
    large EIDE drives are not supported by BIOS, which I've heard of
    before).

    Maybe I will try a small partition if all else fails, meaning if I
    can't get Windows NT restarted.

    This kind of sucked since I was actually looking forward to running
    Linux since I was impressed by the "Live CD" version of Mandrivia that
    I had on my Vista new Core Duo (before I got Vista to work). Oh well,
    maybe LInux is just a pretty tease of an OS, nothing more.

    RL

  2. Re: Another FAILED linux download! AGAIN!

    On Dec 12, 1:15 pm, Ignoramus7955
    wrote:

    > Personally, if you were my friend, I would recommend just buying a
    > wholly separate hard drive for $40 or so and installing linux there --
    > if you have anything to lose on the existing drive, that is.
    >
    > If you have nothing to lose on the hard drive, then it is not a big
    > deal.

    So you are saying to install Linux on a new HD (a spare, which I have)
    on another machine (also an x86) then transfer the HD onto the old
    machine, x86 also, to get around the BIOS problem? If so, that's an
    interesting idea and I might do just that.

    RL

  3. Re: Another FAILED linux download! AGAIN!

    On 2007-12-12, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 1:15 pm, Ignoramus7955
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Personally, if you were my friend, I would recommend just buying a
    >> wholly separate hard drive for $40 or so and installing linux there --
    >> if you have anything to lose on the existing drive, that is.
    >>
    >> If you have nothing to lose on the hard drive, then it is not a big
    >> deal.
    >>

    > So you are saying to install Linux on a new HD (a spare, which I have)
    > on another machine (also an x86) then transfer the HD onto the old
    > machine, x86 also, to get around the BIOS problem? If so, that's an
    > interesting idea and I might do just that.

    That was not my idea. My idea was just to use a hard drive where you
    can feel free to screw up and you would not lose anything. I would try
    to do it on your machine. The BIOS issues are specific to your
    machine. I had to deal with this **** for years in the 90's.

  4. Re: Another FAILED linux download! AGAIN!

    Ignoramus7955 wrote:

    > Personally, if you were my friend, I would recommend just buying a
    > wholly separate hard drive for $40 or so and installing linux there --
    > if you have anything to lose on the existing drive, that is.
    >
    > If you have nothing to lose on the hard drive, then it is not a big
    > deal.

    Rl is on a tight budget. In his house, they bake a chub of bologna and
    pretend it's ham.

+ Reply to Thread