The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| While this technology is still in its infancy, it holds tremendous potential
| for opening new possibilities in computing and yet another opportunity for
| Linux. DeviceVM's SplashTop should really start to gain adoption next year,
| but with all that they have accomplished this year as a privately-held small
| company, SplashTop has been one of the greatest Linux innovations of 2007.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=940&num=5

Eee PC's sales success drawing a crowd

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales of Asustek Computer's Eee PC have soared in its first few months on the
| market, but success may be its undoing. Rivals are already developing
| products to compete with the low-cost laptop PC, market researcher Gartner
| says.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...08547&rid=-219

Related:

ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
| hat last part is perhaps the most interesting; ASUS are calling it Express
| Gate, but it’s basically a fast-boot alternative that, in just five seconds,
| bypasses Windows and gives you a web-browser running in a custom Linux OS. *
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wi...ard-267643.php

Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC.
Traditional PCs Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek

,----[ Quote ]
| “I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because there will
| be further [Asus Eee] products in the future,” said Jonney Shih, chief
| executive of Asustek, in an interview with DigiTimes web-site.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...th_Eee_PC.html

Asus Eee PC doing well

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that this holiday season the gPC is not the only mainstream Linux
| PC to get a lot of attention. The Asus Eee PC, a $400 laptop that runs a
| basic version of Linux, is sold out at Amazon and Best Buy, where it has
| received a 4.5/5 user rating at both places.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2007/1...pc-doing-well/

The Asus Eee Laptop Series Selling Off the Shelves World Wide

,----[ Quote ]
| The sturdy and light weight Asus Eee has captured the hearts and minds of US
| consumers, students and educators. The Eee series has all the features of its
| competitors, but its affordable price is turning heads. The Eee units are
| literally selling off the shelves world-wide.
|
| [...]
|
| The popular Eee is not without its critics. IT Wire reports that Asus Eee may
| have misrepresented the Linux loaded capabilities. According to IT Wire, some
| Linux advocates say the Eee uses Xandros a Debian-based distribution that
| charges a license fee and has an agreement with Microsoft similar to the one
| signed by Novell.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news115288648.html

Asus EeePC sold out across Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| The word from our ear on the ground is that the Asus EeePC sub-notebook,
| which made its Australian debut in the Myer department store chain on 2
| December, was sold out completely across stores in the major capitals by
| Sunday.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15610/1023/

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less? *
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little. *
`----

http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]

`----