Removal of Ogg Vorbis and Theora from HTML5: an outrageous disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that HTML5 in no way required Ogg (as denoted by the word “should”
| instead of “must” in the earlier draft). Adding this to the fact that there
| are widely available patent-free implementations of Ogg technology, there is
| really no excuse for Apple and Nokia to say that they couldn’t in good faith
| implement HTML5 as previously formulated. Throw your own theory here: DRM,
| proprietary control, et cetera.
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/12/1...eous-disaster/
http://tinyurl.com/yp5zm6

Apple is a lost cause (it loves proprietary software and DRM), but Nokia
continues to surprise.

Recent:

Is Nokia Looking for Revenue in the Wrong Places?

,----[ Quote ]
| He proposed that iPod and iTunes was an exception, and would be eclipsed by a
| Nokia/Microsoft (MSFT) partnership in short order. *
|
| [...]
|
| That conversation echoes the one that nearly every music player manufacturer
| on the planet has had to date. And Microsoft's DRM and poor business
| decisions has managed to undermine the business of every single one of them,
| especially now that Microsoft's Zune competes with them and yet isn't
| compatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure music software. * *
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5682...s?source=yahoo

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't). *
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09...3c-ogg-is.html

Related:

Nokia to put Microsoft PlayReady onto S60 & S40 cellphone platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia is to support Microsoft's PlayReady content access technology into the
| Nokia S60 and Series 40 mobile device platforms, starting in 2008.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?opti...84&Itemid=1055

Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93898