[News] Supercomputer in Iran Runs GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Supercomputer in Iran Runs GNU/Linux - Linux ; Iranian scientists develop country's most powerful supercomputer ,----[ Quote ] | Iranian scientists claim to have used 216 microprocessors made by Advanced | Micro Devices to build the country's most powerful supercomputer, despite a | ban on the export of ...

  1. [News] Supercomputer in Iran Runs GNU/Linux

    Iranian scientists develop country's most powerful supercomputer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Iranian scientists claim to have used 216 microprocessors made by Advanced
    | Micro Devices to build the country's most powerful supercomputer, despite a
    | ban on the export of U.S. computer equipment to the Middle Eastern nation..
    `----

    http://www.itnews.com.au/News/66655,...rcomputer.aspx

    Related:

    Science and Art Foundation's wonderful work in Bam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The classes started on 16th December 2006 and they began to
    | learn about Sharif Linux. *This is an open source operating
    | system, which enables Persian speakers to use the net
    | effectively, as all the menus and help are in Persian.
    `----

    http://www.payvand.com/news/07/may/1099.html

    34 Linux Persian Project plans operational on 10bn Rls budget

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Manager of Linux Persian Project spoke here Monday of putting to use
    | 34 plans of that project that were commissioned to firms through
    | tender on an approximately ten billion rial ($900k) budget.
    `----

    http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archive...ject_plans.php

    Farsi Linux for Children & Young Adults published

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sharif Farsi Linux for Children and Young Adults is designed for
    | primary school and intermediate high school student.
    |
    | The software is designed based on an order by UNICEF and is cosponsored by
    | the Sciences & Arts Foundation initially in a bid to be used by Bam
    | children and young adults at that quake stricken city's schools.
    `----

    http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archive...dren_young.php

    Centers established to observe open source software copyright

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Deputy ICT Minister in Infrastructure IT Affairs added, "The
    | expansion of open source software production is seen mainly as
    | the activity of the country's universities and we intend to
    | subdivide its various fields of activities among countries with
    | IT faculties."
    `----

    http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archive...to_observe.php

    National Linux Project halted again

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He added, "Sales and training of National Operating System in the
    | country in a bid to familiarize the users' society with it, is
    | currently underway at nationwide level."
    | Pointing out that taking effective advantage of open source software
    | is in need of back up support and proper training, he reiterated,
    | "Presently Tehran Technical Complex, Data Processing College, Iran
    | Institute, and Sharif University's Advanced ICT Center have
    | provided the arrangements for Linux and open text software
    | training and side services."
    `----

    http://www.taliyanews.com/en/archive...ect_halted.php

    ITRC's IT Research Center In Iran Moves To Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Prof. Dr. Hamid R. Rabiee, deputy for Development of Scientific
    | Relations in Iran Telecommunication Research Center, announced
    | during an interview with ILNA, that the project for FOSS migration
    | has become operational.
    |
    | He insisted on the project's continiuity and pointed out that
    | "Such projects need time and are ongoing by nature so anyone who
    | is expexcting an end to the project is mistaken. The project's
    | outputs are already substancial but it should carry on..."
    `----

    http://www.localfoss.org/ITRCs_IT_Re...Moves_To_Linux

    TCI Min pursuing Persian Linux Project

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Emphasizing that many of the main services of the ICT are Linux-based,
    | he reiterated, "That ministry is determined to migrate towards Linux."
    |
    | Referring to the establishment of an infrastructure Software Work Group
    | at the Secretariat of the ICT Ministry, he said, "This work group is
    | established aimed at facilitating the migration of the ICT Ministry
    | towards full usage of Linux."
    `----

    http://www.taliyanews.ir/en/news/fullstory.asp?n=3900

    Iranians claim to have cracked Vista and sell it at $8 a pop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Taliya News reckons Iranian spods have hacked their way through
    | the software and have "managed to beat" all the Volish
    | "anti-copying tricks" so that they can flog copies of the
    | software at prices people are prepared to pay.
    `----

  2. Re: Supercomputer in Iran Runs GNU/Linux

    On Dec 11, 8:09 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:
    > Iranian scientists develop country's most powerful supercomputer
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Iranian scientists claim to have used 216 microprocessors made by Advanced
    > | Micro Devices to build the country's most powerful supercomputer, despite a
    > | ban on the export of U.S. computer equipment to the Middle Eastern nation..
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itnews.com.au/News/66655,...develop-countr...

    From the article:

    The Iranian system will be used for weather forecasting and
    meteorological research. Iranian scientists developed software for
    systems management and monitoring, but use a medium scale computer
    model called MM5 for creating atmospheric simulations and weather
    forecasts. MM5 is freely available and supported by a division of the
    National Center for Atmospheric Research in the U.S. Other software
    includes the Advanced Regional Prediction System that was initially
    developed at the University of Oklahoma, under a program of the
    National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center.

    Besides weather forecasting, supercomputers are used in the oil and
    gas industry, drug making, computer assisted design and the
    aerodynamics industry, as well as in scientific research. The Iranian
    research center built the country's first supercomputer in 2001.
    Another supercomputer was built in 2003 for processing satellite
    images for the Iranian Space Agency.

    This journalist must have been reading the list of applications from
    the Iranians' brochure. Never mentioned "plutonium implosion device"
    or "radiative transfer of x-rays under thermonuclear conditions".
    Never mentioned the word "bomb", either.

  3. Re: Supercomputer in Iran Runs GNU/Linux

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 12 December 2007 22:13 : \____

    http://technocrat.net/d/2007/12/12/31494

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"