Denmark Pretends MSOOXML Already an "Open Standard" & Mandates a Trial of
ODF/MSOOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Denmark has announced that open standards are going to be a requirement going
| forward there, starting in January, which is being hailed as a great step
| forward for openness. However, if you look closely, you will see that it is
| pretending that MSOOXML has already been approved as an open standard,
| equivalent to ODF. ODF is already an ISO approved standard. MSOOXML is not.
| It was specifically disapproved, and the next meeting will be in February,
| which is after the January starting date in Denmark. In short, Denmark simply
| doesn't care about ISO approval.
|
| Denmark ranks the two as the same, and mandates a trial of both. I wonder
| what the outcome of that trial will be? Why even bother to pretend?
|
| [...]
|
| Ah! New procurements need to be able to handle at least one. Get it? MSOOXML
| is thus anointed as an "open standard" before ISO approval, and everyone can
| use only that. How does Microsoft do what it does? And why even bother to
| vote in February if ISO approval is not required before a government mandates
| use of an as-yet-unapproved "standard"?
`----

Related:

ISO boards face OOXML deadline pressure

,----[ Quote ]
| In Denmark, a source reportedly said that Microsoft pressured him to send an
| expression of support to Dansk Standard, the Danish standards board. By
| Groklaw's translation, Version2 reported: "'If I had not sent in a positive
| comment, it would have had consequences for our relations with Microsoft', he
| says. Our source points to e.g. leads, support and seminars as areas that
| might be jeopardised if 'he did not behave'." ¬* ¬*
|
| The Danish MP reportedly wants assurance that only technical factors were
| considered by Dansk Standard and that political or economic influences were
| not brought to bear. ¬*
|
| Also, a member of the Danish parliament has reportedly lodged a pointed
| question with a government minister as to whether the government has had any
| contact with Dansk Standard with regard to the ISO vote on OOXML. ¬*
|
| In Norway, Microsoft apparently mounted an astroturfing campaign against the
| Norwegian standards body Standard Norge. Out of 59 comments received by
| Standard Norge, 37 were a Vole form letter that many of its Norwegian
| business partners didn't even bother to sign before sending them in. ¬*
`----

Denmark Votes No with Comments to OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| It's official. Denmark will vote no with comments on OOXML.
`----

OOXML News From Denmark

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that pressure was put on partners there as well, although
| Microsoft denies that was the intent.
`----

The Microsoft OOXML ‚ÄėCorruption Train‚Äô Reaches Denmark

,----[ Quote ]
| A committee from Danish Standardisation is going to decide whether to
| recommend a Microsoft standard as an open standard internationally. A
| majority in the committee have close connections to Microsoft, however….17
| out of the 31 members in the committee are so called Microsoft partners….The
| European interest organisation Foundation for a Free Information
| Infrastructure accuses Microsoft of influencing the decision process by
| asking partners to join the national decision committee. ¬* ¬* ¬*
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/27/denmark-ooxml/

Danish school kid's verdict on the OLPC laptop: It's cool!

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think we could make good use of it in my class," said Karl Emil as he
| tries to grab the XO from us in order to take it to school the following day.
`----

South Africa, Netherlands and Korea striding toward ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| France is making the strongest move to ODF and its native office suite,
| OpenOffice. Nearly half a million government employees are being switched to ¬*
| OpenOffice.
`----

ODF Alliance hails record growth in application support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| In total, there are now more than two dozen ODF-supporting text, spreadsheet,
| and presentation applications announced in the past three months
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...pport-for-odf/

ODF a National Standard in Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposal for ODF to be accepted as a Malaysian Standard by SIRIM,
| Department of Standards Malaysia and ultimately the Minister of Science,
| Technology & Innovation is dormant for more than a year now. Four months
| after the Malaysian proposal went to sleep, Italy made ODF a National
| Standard. Eight months after that, Korea has followed suit. With this Korean
| news, perhaps the Malaysian proposal will be awakened. ¬* ¬*
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007...national-.html

Obama Voices Support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenDocument Format supporters are welcoming presidential hopeful Sen. Barack
| Obama's promise to put government data online in universally accessible
| formats should he be elected.ODF a National Standard in Korea ¬*
`----
¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*

Open IT has arrived: US presidential candidates campaigning for it

,----[ Quote ]
| When U.S. presidential candidates start promoting their open-source and
| open-document platforms, you know that the open-source movement has finally
| arrived. ¬*
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...g=2547-1_3-0-5

South Africa adopts ODF as govt standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African government yesterday announced the adoption of OpenDocument
| Format (ODF) as a standard for government communications.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=$id&src=digg

Malaysia formally embraces open doc format

,----[ Quote ]
| The Malaysian government today announced plans to adopt open standards and
| the Open Document Format (ODF) within the country's public sector.
|
| [...]
|
| In July this year, Japan became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region
| to embrace open software standards. Last August, the United Nations urged
| countries in the region to adopt the ODF. ¬*
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2030781,00.htm

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards. ¬* ¬*
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Netherlands Picks ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Frank Heemskerk, Minister of Economic Affairs, announced today that ODF will
| be the standard for reading, publishing and the exchange of information for
| all governmental organisations. The deadline is January 2009. ¬*
`----

http://gotze.eu/2007/09/netherlands-picks-odf.html

OpenDocument and Qt fonts goodness

,----[ Quote ]
| Like South Africa Adopts ODF, German Foreign Office comes out in favor of ODF
| and there are various articles going over how Holland and Belgium are
| steadilly switching governments but also schools over to ODF. ¬*
`----

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2007...onts-goodness/

Opendocument_adoption

,----[ Quote ]