wrote
on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:48:05 +0000
<79850412.8qgrQFxBY8@schestowitz.com>:
> The DRM maze for consumers
>
> ,----[ Headings ]
> | WESTERN DIGITAL - FILE LOCK OUT
> |
> | ZUNE - SHARE AND SHARE NOT ALIKE
> |
> | NOKIA - FREE MUSIC?
> |
> | GOOGLE - NOW YOU SEE IT, NOW YOU DON'T
> |
> | SONY - THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM
> |
> | ITUNES - DRM HERE BUT NOT THERE
> |
> | CONSOLES - HI-DEF FUTURE?
> |
> | VIRGIN - SHUT OUT
> `----

> Someone ought to advice the MSBBC to use stylesheets
> for capitalisation, rather than write in ALL CAPS.

There's a few other problems. I'm not about to throw this
at Tidy.

[1]
NOKIA - FREE MUSIC?

Bad. The proper fix would be to use

Nokia - free music?

with something like

.ch1 { text-transform: uppercase; font-weight: bolder; }

in the style sheet. It is possible the might be for
the benefit of older browsers, though -- but if so,
the BBC engine should probably recognize those browsers
and generate HTML to fit. A modern CSS-aware browser
doesn't need .

An alternative, which is less flexible, is to use

or

-- both these and
are bog standard HTML,
so it's not a big issue unless one absolutely needs
to save a few bits during page transmission.

[2]

Western digital....

But the firm has now blocked...

The company says it has...

But the block makes no distinction between...

This is just sloppy, and in fact the second and fourth
paragraphs are not even complete sentences. Never mind
the HTML technical issues -- can't BBC hire reasonably
competent *English* *writers*?

Hello, clue phone, line 2.

[3] Table crap everywhere. I'm probably one of the few
still using frames on my website but that's mostly
because I've not updated it in a coons' age; that's an
old but reasonable way of doing it. A modern method
might use something similar (but cleaner) to what NOW
is using on www.now.org -- as far as I can tell they're
using nested

constructs -- or simply throw the problem
at an XSL translator. I'll admit a modified SGML format
is attractive to me, and I have a working variant on
my internal website.

[4] Very naughty (though not nearly as naughty as DRM):

If one needs embedded style at all:

but a better method is to simply identify the
and shove this all into a style sheet:

and put

.big1 { width: 629; vertical-align: top; }

in the CSS. Of course that's assuming tables are desired
at all.

[4] Embedded style sheets. This is only a small fault, as the
stylesheet actually is a bunch of imports. However,
if BBC is going to use this method, it's probably better
to use a bunch of

href="/css/blah/blah/blah.css"/>

for each style sheet[*], or just have an external
stylesheet handling the imports. It's possible this
is an artifact of their User-Agent: decoding, but
an external stylesheet is cacheable, saving a page load.

[5] The white space should probably be compressed. Presumably
there's a macro processor involved.

[6] looks ridiculous, though it might
be justifiable (barely) from a status bar standpoint.

[7] A large chunk of the text is embedded in .

[massive snip for brevity]
[*] The reason for rather than is because
of a rather stupid browser whose name I won't mention (but the
two words start with "IE").