how to know if there is no more memory - Linux

This is a discussion on how to know if there is no more memory - Linux ; bull@localhost.loca ldomain writes: [...] > How can we know if there is enough memory available(not including > virtual memory), because maybe we want to read large data from > disk, and we don't want to use virtual memory ,which i ...

  1. Re: how to know if there is no more memory

    bull@localhost.localdomain writes:

    [...]

    > How can we know if there is enough memory available(not including
    > virtual memory), because maybe we want to read large data from
    > disk, and we don't want to use virtual memory ,which i think it's
    > not good for efficiency.

    Try random(3). It is as accurate regarding the _currently_ (ie not 'in
    the past') unused amount of memory than any other option and probably
    easier to use.

  2. Re: how to know if there is no more memory

    bull@localhost.localdomain writes:

    [...]

    > How can we know if there is enough memory available(not including
    > virtual memory), because maybe we want to read large data from
    > disk, and we don't want to use virtual memory ,which i think it's
    > not good for efficiency.

    Try random(3). It is as accurate regarding the _currently_ (ie not 'in
    the past') unused amount of memory as any other option and probably
    easier to use.

  3. how to know if there is no more memory

    Hi,guys:
    recently i have been thinking about a question.How can we know
    if there is enough memory available(not including virtual memory),because
    maybe we want to read large data from disk, and we don't want to use virtual
    memory ,which i think it's not good for efficiency. Does linux provide any function or
    can you cool guys give me some tips
    thanks very much

+ Reply to Thread