[News] [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup - Linux ; RIAA files supplemental brief in Atlantic v. Howell; argues personal copies ripped to computer are unauthorized ,----[ Quote ] | The RIAA's brief makes the novel contention, contradicting its lawyers' | arguments at the Supreme Court in MGM v. Grokster, ...

  1. [News] [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup

    RIAA files supplemental brief in Atlantic v. Howell; argues personal copies
    ripped to computer are unauthorized

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The RIAA's brief makes the novel contention, contradicting its lawyers'
    | arguments at the Supreme Court in MGM v. Grokster, that making personal
    | copies of songs from one's CD onto one's computer is an infringement.
    `----

    http://recordingindustryvspeople.blo...-brief-in.html

    Everyone is a 'pirate' and a 'criminal'. Prove them wrong.

    Recent:

    German Supreme Court rejects copyright fee for printers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Printer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard has announced that the German Supreme
    | Court ruled in a hearing that the firm will not have to pay a flat fee to
    | German copyright collective VG Wort to cover copyrights.
    `----

    Overly-broad copyright law has made USA a "nation of infringers"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tehranian's paper points out just how pervasive copyright has become in our
    | lives. Simply checking one's e-mail and including the full text in response
    | could be a violation of copyright.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nfringers.html

    Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse
    Tracker

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The manual's appendix and online support site provide setup instructions for
    | SAMBA, allowing access over IP instead of with the DRM-infested and
    | poorly-reviewed client app, elsewhere claimed to be "required." ┬*
    |
    | MOAR! Samba not enough? Gut the firmware and install made-to-measure Linux:
    | An entire community of folks is here to help you hack your MyBook:
    | mybookworld.wikidot.com. ┬*
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/1...n-digital.html

  2. Re: [News] [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup

    > Everyone is a 'pirate' and a 'criminal'. Prove them wrong.

    Easy.

    Unless I supply content (for which I am not the copyright holder) to
    *others*, then I can do pretty much whatever the Hell I want with it
    without any danger of breaching copyright law.

    These RIAA goons really crack me up. They'll be deploying RIAA thugs
    in every home to "police" our use of audio CDs next; tazers ready to
    "punish" those foolish enough to want to listen to their precious IP
    on anything but a CD player.

    If the US government really is the democracy that it pretends to be,
    then it would have shut down crime syndicates like the RIAA and MPAA
    years ago.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

  3. Re: [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup

    On Dec 11, 6:56 pm, "[H]omer" wrote:

    > These RIAA goons really crack me up. They'll be deploying RIAA thugs
    > in every home to "police" our use of audio CDs next; tazers ready to
    > "punish" those foolish enough to want to listen to their precious IP
    > on anything but a CD player.
    >
    > If the US government really is the democracy that it pretends to be,
    > then it would have shut down crime syndicates like the RIAA and MPAA
    > years ago.

    Trouble is, the RIAA and the MPAA has the politicians in their
    pocketbooks. Any politician who would dare betray the RIAA and/or MPAA
    would be smeared, slandered, and slammed by the RIAA and MPAA and
    their puppets in the controlled corporate media.

  4. Re: [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup

    Darth Chaos wrote:

    > On Dec 11, 6:56 pm, "[H]omer" wrote:
    >
    >> These RIAA goons really crack me up. They'll be deploying RIAA thugs
    >> in every home to "police" our use of audio CDs next; tazers ready to
    >> "punish" those foolish enough to want to listen to their precious IP
    >> on anything but a CD player.
    >>
    >> If the US government really is the democracy that it pretends to be,
    >> then it would have shut down crime syndicates like the RIAA and MPAA
    >> years ago.

    > Trouble is, the RIAA and the MPAA has the politicians in their
    > pocketbooks. Any politician who would dare betray the RIAA and/or MPAA
    > would be smeared, slandered, and slammed by the RIAA and MPAA and
    > their puppets in the controlled corporate media.

    The evil businessman runs this country. No news there.

  5. Re: [OT] RIAA Forbids Backup

    Darth Chaos espoused:
    > On Dec 11, 6:56 pm, "[H]omer" wrote:
    >
    >> These RIAA goons really crack me up. They'll be deploying RIAA thugs
    >> in every home to "police" our use of audio CDs next; tazers ready to
    >> "punish" those foolish enough to want to listen to their precious IP
    >> on anything but a CD player.
    >>
    >> If the US government really is the democracy that it pretends to be,
    >> then it would have shut down crime syndicates like the RIAA and MPAA
    >> years ago.

    > Trouble is, the RIAA and the MPAA has the politicians in their
    > pocketbooks. Any politician who would dare betray the RIAA and/or MPAA
    > would be smeared, slandered, and slammed by the RIAA and MPAA and
    > their puppets in the controlled corporate media.

    Which is the point, really. You have no democracy when all your boroughs
    are rotten, or at least, enough of them to ensure that criminals go not
    only unpunished but in fact assisted by the government.