[News] MontaVista Brings Linux to More Hardware - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] MontaVista Brings Linux to More Hardware - Linux ; MontaVista Provides Real-Time Embedded Linux for AMCC PowerPC 405EX and 405EXr Processors ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista Software, Inc announced two new Linux support packages (LSPs) that | make MontaVista Linux Professional Edition 5.0 available for the new AMCC | ...

  1. [News] MontaVista Brings Linux to More Hardware

    MontaVista Provides Real-Time Embedded Linux for AMCC PowerPC 405EX and 405EXr
    Processors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MontaVista Software, Inc announced two new Linux support packages (LSPs) that
    | make MontaVista Linux Professional Edition 5.0 available for the new AMCC
    | PowerPC 405EX and 405EXr processors.
    `----

    http://linux.sys-con.com/read/472659_p.htm

    Related:

    Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Architectures: Linux Windows
    | PC x86 Y Y
    | PC AMD64 Y Y
    | PC IA-64 Y Y
    | Alpha Y N
    | PPC Y N
    | PPC64 Y N
    | SPARC32 Y N
    | SPARC64 Y N
    | ARM Y N
    | HP PA-RISC Y N
    | Motorola 680x0 Y N
    | MIPS Y N
    | MIPS (DEC) Y N
    | PowerPC Y N
    | IBM S/390 Y N
    | others Y N
    `----

    http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20C...20vs%20Windows

  2. Re: [News] MontaVista Brings Linux to More Hardware

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:52:16 +0000
    <13316259.gkD1nJTNib@schestowitz.com>:
    > MontaVista Provides Real-Time Embedded Linux for AMCC PowerPC 405EX and 405EXr
    > Processors
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | MontaVista Software, Inc announced two new Linux support packages (LSPs) that
    > | make MontaVista Linux Professional Edition 5.0 available for the new AMCC
    > | PowerPC 405EX and 405EXr processors.
    > `----
    >
    > http://linux.sys-con.com/read/472659_p.htm
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Architectures: Linux Windows
    > | PC x86 Y Y
    > | PC AMD64 Y Y
    > | PC IA-64 Y Y
    > | Alpha Y N

    Aw drat, they dropped it. ;-)

    > | PPC Y N

    Ditto.

    > | PPC64 Y N
    > | SPARC32 Y N
    > | SPARC64 Y N
    > | ARM Y N
    > | HP PA-RISC Y N
    > | Motorola 680x0 Y N
    > | MIPS Y N
    > | MIPS (DEC) Y N
    > | PowerPC Y N
    > | IBM S/390 Y N
    > | others Y N

    A lot of others -- 17 at last count, minus the ones already
    detailed here.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  3. Re: [News] MontaVista Brings Linux to More Hardware

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 11 December 2007 02:32 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:52:16 +0000
    > <13316259.gkD1nJTNib@schestowitz.com>:
    >> MontaVista Provides Real-Time Embedded Linux for AMCC PowerPC 405EX and
    >> 405EXr Processors
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | MontaVista Software, Inc announced two new Linux support packages (LSPs)
    >> | that make MontaVista Linux Professional Edition 5.0 available for the new
    >> | AMCC PowerPC 405EX and 405EXr processors.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://linux.sys-con.com/read/472659_p.htm
    >>

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Architectures: Linux Windows
    >> | PC x86 Y Y
    >> | PC AMD64 Y Y
    >> | PC IA-64 Y Y
    >> | Alpha Y N

    > Aw drat, they dropped it. ;-)
    >
    >> | PPC Y N

    > Ditto.
    >
    >> | PPC64 Y N
    >> | SPARC32 Y N
    >> | SPARC64 Y N
    >> | ARM Y N
    >> | HP PA-RISC Y N
    >> | Motorola 680x0 Y N
    >> | MIPS Y N
    >> | MIPS (DEC) Y N
    >> | PowerPC Y N
    >> | IBM S/390 Y N
    >> | others Y N

    > A lot of others -- 17 at last count, minus the ones already
    > detailed here.

    If Microsoft was a restaurant, the only think on the menu would be Pepsi,
    fries, and ribs.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Cpu(s): 24.8%us, 4.1%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.3%id, 3.4%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  4. Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    Note subject change. OK, so I'm exaggerating just
    a teeensy weeensy bit....

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:21:25 +0000
    <1245982.ft8qJq9KKO@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 11 December 2007 02:32 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:52:16 +0000
    >> <13316259.gkD1nJTNib@schestowitz.com>:
    >>> MontaVista Provides Real-Time Embedded Linux for AMCC PowerPC 405EX and
    >>> 405EXr Processors
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://linux.sys-con.com/read/472659_p.htm
    >>>

    >>> Related:
    >>>
    >>> Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Aw drat, they dropped it. ;-)

    >> Ditto.

    >> A lot of others -- 17 at last count, minus the ones already
    >> detailed here.

    > If Microsoft was a restaurant, the only think on the menu would be Pepsi,
    > fries, and ribs.

    Even McDonald's has more than that. :-) But one does
    have one's choice of sauces.

    [1] Extra Light Basic Water Sauce. The ribs are fried
    in a bucket of water. Um...wait, maybe that's more
    like boiled. Served on a stick.

    [2] Home Premium Water Sauce. The ribs are lovingly
    torched -- sorry, fried -- with a flamethrower,
    then dunked in salt water. Fries -- also done with
    a flamethrower, to ensure compatibility -- served on
    the side.

    [3] Business Water Sauce. The ribs are lovingly torched
    with a flamethrower, then basted with sugar water.
    Fries served on the side.

    [4] Ultimate. The ribs are lovingly torched with a
    flamethrower, then basted with sweet and salty sauce,
    which looks a bit, well, watery. Fries served on
    the side.

    [5] Starter Edition. One gets one bone, one Fry Cube(tm)
    (about the size of a sugar cube) and an eyedropper's
    worth of water. Bon[e] Appetit. (Non-US only.)

    [6] Enterprise Edition. The ribs are taken from a huge
    vat full of boiling sweet and salty sauce, mixed with
    mashed fries[*], and placed in a bucket. Serves 6.

    [7] Water-free editions are available in Europe. Bring
    your own sauce.

    [8] Longhorn Edition. The ribs are blowtorched then
    filled with water, which can be mixed with the sauce
    of one's meal, in tiny controlled driblets.

    [9] Linux Edition. One has wayyyyyyy too much choice here:

    - No meat (bring your own or go vegetarian/vegan)
    - Burger.
    - Flank Steak.
    - Filet Mignon (beef tenderloin)
    - T-bone steak
    - Sandwiches
    - Lobster Thermadore
    - Chicken burger
    - Wok-fried chicken
    - Chicken cacciatore
    - Spaghetti & Meatballs
    - Pasta w/Pesto sauce
    - Swedish Meatballs
    - Eggs Benedict
    - Scrambled Eggs
    - Sunny Side Up
    - Poached Eggs
    - Omelets (various types)
    - "Road Kill Chili" (highly spiced beef)
    - Tacos
    - Tostadas
    - Enchiladas
    - Enchiritos

    - No side dish (bring your own)
    - Vegetables
    - Cole Slaw
    - Potatoes (hash browns, mashed, red, fries)
    - Chorizo [+]
    - Rice
    - Ham
    - Couscous

    - No soup (bring your own)
    - Hot water (bring your own instant flavor packet)
    - Bean soup
    - Beef Barley soup
    - Tomato soup
    - Clam chowder
    - Minestrone

    - No sauce (bring your own)
    - Sweet sauce
    - Hot and sour sauce
    - Steak sauce
    - Peanut sauce
    - Jalapeno sauce
    - Habanero sauce

    - No beverage (bring your own)
    - Water, plain
    - Hot water (bring your own tea bag or instant coffee)
    - Water, seltzered (this is basically what soda is prior
    to the syrup -- bring your own syrup)
    - Ice, crushed, served in a sno-cone with choice of flavorings
    (see also Desserts)
    - Ice, block (not really intended for drinking but might
    be useful afterwards)
    - Pepsi (Pepsi, Diet, Pepsi One, Wild Cherry, Vanilla, Gatorade,
    Mountain Dew, ...)
    - Coke (Coke, Diet, Sprite, Coca-cola zero, ...)
    - Hansen's
    - Iced tea
    - Beer (lager, ale)
    - Milk (regular, low fat, reduced fat, skim)
    - Milk, chocolate
    - Coffee (regular, expresso, latte, mocha, etc.)
    - Various hot teas
    - Various red wines
    - Various white wines
    - Various other spirit products (vodka, creme de menthe,
    tequila [with or without worm], whiskey, ...)

    - No dessert (bring your own or "I don't need that")
    - Cookies & cupcakes
    - Cake (angelsfood, devilsfood, cheese, pineapple upside-down, ...)
    - Pie (various)
    - Custards
    - Brownies (fudgy, white chocolate, w/marijuana (not recommended
    in all countries), ...)
    - Mint
    - Cotton Candy
    - Fudge
    - Chocolate fondue

    :-)
    [*] it's an acquired taste.

    [+] a form of sausage popular in Spain and Portugal. Usually
    mixed with scrambled eggs, the few times I've seen it
    offered.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  5. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    On Dec 11, 9:44 am, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
> [...]

    > - Various red wines
    > - Various white wines
    > - Various other spirit products (vodka, creme de menthe,
    > tequila [with or without worm], whiskey, ...)
    >
    > - No dessert (bring your own or "I don't need that")
    > - Cookies & cupcakes
    > - Cake (angelsfood, devilsfood, cheese, pineapple upside-down, ...)
    > - Pie (various)
    > - Custards
    > - Brownies (fudgy, white chocolate, w/marijuana (not recommended
    > in all countries), ...)
    > - Mint
    > - Cotton Candy
    > - Fudge
    > - Chocolate fondue
    >

    > :-)
    >
    >[*] it's an acquired taste.
    >
    > [+] a form of sausage popular in Spain and Portugal. Usually
    > mixed with scrambled eggs, the few times I've seen it

    Ghost, you really have too much time on your hands. You should become
    a Linux developer.

  6. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

> [...]
    > Mountain Dew, ...)
    > - Coke (Coke, Diet, Sprite, Coca-cola zero, ...)
    > - Hansen's
    > - Iced tea
    > - Beer (lager, ale)
    > - Milk (regular, low fat, reduced fat, skim)
    > - Milk, chocolate
    > - Coffee (regular, expresso, latte, mocha, etc.)
    > - Various hot teas
    > - Various red wines
    > - Various white wines
    > - Various other spirit products (vodka, creme de menthe,
    > tequila [with or without worm], whiskey, ...)
    >
    > - No dessert (bring your own or "I don't need that")
    > - Cookies & cupcakes
    > - Cake (angelsfood, devilsfood, cheese, pineapple upside-down, ...)
    > - Pie (various)
    > - Custards
    > - Brownies (fudgy, white chocolate, w/marijuana (not recommended

    Gaaah!

    [H]omer [H]ungry!

    Must feed now!

    Oh, and you missed my favourites:

    ~~~~~~~/ Menu \~~~~~~~

    ···Starter···

    Eggs Florentine

    ···Main Course···

    Tortellini Alfredo served with an Olive Focaccia

    ···Desert···

    Zabaglione

    ···Wine···

    Rocca di Montegrossi, 2004 Chianti Classico.

    ··········

    Cappuccino and Amaretto biscuits.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Damn your eyes, Ghost - my nearest Italian restaurant is 25 miles away.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

  7. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:27:55 +0000
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >
    >> - No meat (bring your own or go vegetarian/vegan)
    >> - Burger.
    >> - Flank Steak.
    >> - Filet Mignon (beef tenderloin)

    [snip for brevity]

    > Gaaah!
    >
    > [H]omer [H]ungry!
    >
    > Must feed now!
    >

    > Oh, and you missed my favourites:
    >
    > ~~~~~~~/ Menu \~~~~~~~
    >
    > Starter
    >
    > Eggs Florentine
    >
    > Main Course
    >
    > Tortellini Alfredo served with an Olive Focaccia
    >
    > Desert
    >
    > Zabaglione
    >
    > Wine
    >
    > Rocca di Montegrossi, 2004 Chianti Classico.
    >

    > Cappuccino and Amaretto biscuits.
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > Damn your eyes, Ghost - my nearest Italian restaurant is 25 miles away.

    *chuckles* Not responsible for ruined keyboards or growling stomachs.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because Windows' Blue Screen Of Death is just
    way too frightening to novice users.

  8. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:31:17 -0800 (PST)
    <7e122ceb-bb92-40e9-943a-87b1b16157b7@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>:

    [snip for brevity]

    > Ghost, you really have too much time on your hands. You should become
    > a Linux developer.

    I already am. That's why I have so much free time on my hands. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because Windows' Blue Screen Of Death is just
    way too frightening to novice users.

  9. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:

    > Ghost, you really have too much time on your hands. You should
    > become a Linux developer.

    Or a chef.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

  10. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 11 December 2007 21:11 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:31:17 -0800 (PST)
    > <7e122ceb-bb92-40e9-943a-87b1b16157b7@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>:
    >
    > [snip for brevity]
    >
    >> Ghost, you really have too much time on your hands. You should become
    >> a Linux developer.

    > I already am. That's why I have so much free time on my hands. :-)

    Does Linux programming just take care of /itself/? (as in 'just add water'...
    http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/ )

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Those who can, Open-Source
    22:20:02 up 1 day, 11:08, 3 users, load average: 1.10, 1.97, 1.88

  11. Re: Welcome to The Ghost's Restaurant! What's your pleasure? :-)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:28:31 +0000
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:
    >
    >> Ghost, you really have too much time on your hands. You should
    >> become a Linux developer.

    > Or a chef.

    Well, I can read a cookbook. That doesn't make me a master
    chef any more than cracking open an owner's manual makes
    one a master mechanic. :-)

    But I *am* an artist, when it comes to debugging code;
    I can't say exactly why except I notice odd little details
    which turn out to be the key to the problem.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.