Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition - Linux

This is a discussion on Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition - Linux ; This page provides information on how to hack your MyBook World Edition, so as you can improve performance and add new features. MyBook is powered by ARM9 microprocessor, it has 32MB of SDRAM and boots from internal hard drive. The ...

  1. Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition

    This page provides information on how to hack your MyBook World
    Edition, so as you can improve performance and add new features.
    MyBook is powered by ARM9 microprocessor, it has 32MB of SDRAM and
    boots from internal hard drive. The system partition has 2.8GB (only
    260 MB is occupied). This means that you have a lot of resources for
    various improvements.

    At least intermediate Linux experience is required for playing with
    MyBook. Please, if you do not meet this requirement, ask someone
    experienced to help you. Otherwise there is a risk that you will brick
    your MyBook!

    http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/

  2. Re: Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:03:12 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > This page provides information on how to hack your MyBook World Edition,
    > so as you can improve performance and add new features. MyBook is
    > powered by ARM9 microprocessor, it has 32MB of SDRAM and boots from
    > internal hard drive. The system partition has 2.8GB (only 260 MB is
    > occupied). This means that you have a lot of resources for various
    > improvements.
    >
    > At least intermediate Linux experience is required for playing with
    > MyBook. Please, if you do not meet this requirement, ask someone
    > experienced to help you. Otherwise there is a risk that you will brick
    > your MyBook!
    >

    > http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/

    Even better - junk your Western Digital MyBook drive and get something
    that works.

    And - tell your friends not to send you one for Christmas.

  3. Re: Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:38:41 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:03:12 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >

    >> This page provides information on how to hack your MyBook World
    >> Edition, so as you can improve performance and add new features. MyBook
    >> is powered by ARM9 microprocessor, it has 32MB of SDRAM and boots from
    >> internal hard drive. The system partition has 2.8GB (only 260 MB is
    >> occupied). This means that you have a lot of resources for various
    >> improvements.
    >>
    >> At least intermediate Linux experience is required for playing with
    >> MyBook. Please, if you do not meet this requirement, ask someone
    >> experienced to help you. Otherwise there is a risk that you will brick
    >> your MyBook!
    >>

    >> http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/

    > Even better - junk your Western Digital MyBook drive and get something
    > that works.
    >
    > And - tell your friends not to send you one for Christmas.

    PPS. According to the PC World review of this product:

    During testing, we found our drive often failed to obtain an IP address
    from the router, so wasn't accessible. Western Digital is investigating
    this problem, and when we have a definitive answer we'll print an update
    on www.pcpro.co.uk.

    The My Book World Edition is good value, but until Western Digital can
    fix the IP address issue we can't recommend it.

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/11319...my-book-world-
    edition.html
    http://tinyurl.com/29bxnw

  4. Re: Hacking Western Digital MyBook World Edition

    * Kutloze Scheefgepoepte fired off this tart reply:

    > Yes, Seagate?
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux

    "As our reader points out this is a, "fairly **** idea perfectly
    implemented, " ..."

    No surprise there, you are attracted to ****.

    Guess they won't be using Seagate drives in the Google farm!

    *LMAO*

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread