Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety - Linux

This is a discussion on Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety - Linux ; Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has been crippled by DRM for your safety. ...the remote-access HDD won't share media files over network connections. Which is, as you can see here, the entire stinking point of ...

  1. Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

    Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has
    been crippled by DRM for your safety. ...the remote-access HDD won't
    share media files over network connections. Which is, as you can see
    here, the entire stinking point of it.

    It's a scary world full of potentially unlicensed media. We're
    fortunate there's a hard drive vendor willing to step forward and do
    some indiscriminate policing for us....

    WD's list of banned file types encompasses over 35 extensions. This
    includes AAC, MP3, AVI, DivX, WMV, and QuickTime files. And - why not?
    -- Windows TMP files too.

    The storage device is billed as a "surprisingly simple and secure way
    to access and share data and photos" using your home or office
    network. And technically that's true -- namely, the "way" in question
    is not letting you do it. Abstinence is simple and secure. You've got
    to hand it to Western Digital.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...led_harddrive/

  2. Re: Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:00:27 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has been
    > crippled by DRM for your safety.

    Another disk drive manufacturer that thinks it doesn't have to compete in
    the market place.

    You really have to wonder where these corporate suits are coming from,
    and where they think they are going.

    When will they learn that you can't buck the market?

  3. Re: Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Robin T Cox

    wrote
    on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:36:11 GMT
    :
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:00:27 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has been
    >> crippled by DRM for your safety.

    > Another disk drive manufacturer that thinks it doesn't have to compete in
    > the market place.
    >
    > You really have to wonder where these corporate suits are coming from,
    > and where they think they are going.
    >
    > When will they learn that you can't buck the market?

    Are they selling to the end user or to the film interests?

    The market may not be what we think it is.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  4. Re: Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 10 December 2007 22:10 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Robin T Cox
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:36:11 GMT
    > :
    >> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:00:27 -0800, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has been
    >>> crippled by DRM for your safety.

    >> Another disk drive manufacturer that thinks it doesn't have to compete in
    >> the market place.
    >>
    >> You really have to wonder where these corporate suits are coming from,
    >> and where they think they are going.
    >>
    >> When will they learn that you can't buck the market?
    >>

    > Are they selling to the end user or to the film interests?

    That's just how it works. Friend helps friend in Beverly Hills. It won't stop
    until you stand up and demand change.

    > The market may not be what we think it is.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    Swap: 1510068k total, 370048k used, 1140020k free, 63056k cached

  5. Re: Western Digital drive is DRM-crippled for your safety

    schreef in bericht

    > Western Digital's 1TB My Book World Edition external hard drive has
    > been crippled by DRM for your safety. ...the remote-access HDD won't
    > share media files over network connections. Which is, as you can see
    > here, the entire stinking point of it.
    >
    > It's a scary world full of potentially unlicensed media. We're
    > fortunate there's a hard drive vendor willing to step forward and do
    > some indiscriminate policing for us....
    >
    > WD's list of banned file types encompasses over 35 extensions. This
    > includes AAC, MP3, AVI, DivX, WMV, and QuickTime files. And - why not?
    > -- Windows TMP files too.
    >
    > The storage device is billed as a "surprisingly simple and secure way
    > to access and share data and photos" using your home or office
    > network. And technically that's true -- namely, the "way" in question
    > is not letting you do it. Abstinence is simple and secure. You've got
    > to hand it to Western Digital.
    >

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...led_harddrive/

    Get this!
    http://hdd-shredder.nl/