How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ? - Linux ; You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your PlayStation 3 gaming console. For those of you who think for a second (and who are scared) that this will replace their PS3 operating system, well you guys ...

  1. How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your
    PlayStation 3 gaming console. For those of you who think for a second
    (and who are scared) that this will replace their PS3 operating
    system, well you guys are wrong, because this will NOT erase your
    PlayStation 3 native operating system (called XMB) and it will run as
    an alternative OS on your PS3 console.

    Ready? Are you excited?

    This guide will help you out if you want to install Ubuntu on the
    PS3 : http://cnet.freetzi.com/PS3Unbutu.html

    Let's go!

  2. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    "monk88825" schreef in bericht
    > You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your
    > PlayStation 3 gaming console. For those of you who think for a second
    > (and who are scared) that this will replace their PS3 operating
    > system, well you guys are wrong, because this will NOT erase your
    > PlayStation 3 native operating system (called XMB) and it will run as
    > an alternative OS on your PS3 console.

    The *true* Linux advocates here have no PS3 console!

    > Ready? Are you excited?

    No!

    > This guide will help you out if you want to install Ubuntu on the
    > PS3 : http://cnet.freetzi.com/PS3Unbutu.html
    >
    > Let's go!

    GFIA, you twit!

  3. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    On Dec 10, 10:34 am, monk88825 wrote:
    > You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your
    > PlayStation 3 gaming console.

    Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
    exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
    console.

    I would love to see Sony introduce a PS3 based computer running
    Linux. You really couldn't call it a PC, perhaps a "Linux Console".
    The Ubuntu Studio could be really exciting. For those not familiar
    with Ubuntu Studio, it's a Ubuntu distribution that includes a number
    of video and audio editing programs, in addition to the usual
    "typical" Linux applications such as Open Office and FireFox.

    > For those of you who think for a second
    > (and who are scared) that this will replace their PS3 operating
    > system, well you guys are wrong, because this will NOT erase your
    > PlayStation 3 native operating system (called XMB) and it will run as
    > an alternative OS on your PS3 console.

    Sounds a bit like a "Live-CD", but reading the instructions it appears
    that it's actually more like using the ability to boot from the USB
    device (memory stick or USB hard drive). It's a nice practical
    solution to getting Linux started quickly.

    > Ready? Are you excited?

    Sounds like I might want to get myself a Sony Playstation 3.

    Just curious,
    does PS3 also support the high density SD-RAM and Memory Sticks (4Gig
    and 8 Gig)?
    does PS3 support high speed "Ulra-SD"?
    What is the maximum memory capacity of the PS3?

    > This guide will help you out if you want to install Ubuntu on the
    > PS3 :http://cnet.freetzi.com/PS3Unbutu.html

    This was a very interesting link. It looks like it's almost as easy
    as installing on "Linux Ready" PCs.
    Perhaps this will put more pressure on OEMs to list "Linux
    Compatibility" as a feature on packaging and in advertising.

    Thanks for this reference.

    > Let's go!

  4. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Dec 10, 10:34 am, monk88825 wrote:
    >> You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your
    >> PlayStation 3 gaming console.

    > Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
    > exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
    > console.
    >
    > I would love to see Sony introduce a PS3 based computer running
    > Linux. You really couldn't call it a PC, perhaps a "Linux Console".
    > The Ubuntu Studio could be really exciting. For those not familiar

    Don't be so naive. A "console" would never work at video editing. No way
    near enough hard drive and memory. Unless, as usual, you are redefining
    words to support your new breakthrough paradigm shift?

    As for Sony producing a LInux PC - come off it. Sony are at the top of
    the heap in the price charts for anything they make.

    > with Ubuntu Studio, it's a Ubuntu distribution that includes a number
    > of video and audio editing programs, in addition to the usual
    > "typical" Linux applications such as Open Office and FireFox.

    The PS3 is good for manipulating graphics on screen in entertainment
    SW. And it does not use Linux for that. In fact you can not use Linux
    for that (accessing its proprietary HW that is) to its potential.

  5. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    >Sounds like I might want to get myself a Sony Playstation 3.
    >
    >Just curious,
    >does PS3 also support the high density SD-RAM and Memory Sticks (4Gig
    >and 8 Gig)?
    >does PS3 support high speed "Ulra-SD"?
    >What is the maximum memory capacity of the PS3?

    I'm pretty sure the PS3 uses a newish flavor of RDRAM that is not
    available on any sort of stick.

  6. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    On 2007-12-10, Rex Ballard wrote:
    > Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
    > exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
    > console.

    One general purpose core, and 7 that are basically DSPs, each with its
    own private memory and no direct access to system memory. Most Linux
    programs won't make any use of those other 7 cores. Nor will the system
    in general--if you are running four compute=bound program, Linux won't
    be able to automatically spin them off to the 7 other cores.

  7. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    Tim Smith writes:

    > On 2007-12-10, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
    >> exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
    >> console.

    > One general purpose core, and 7 that are basically DSPs, each with its
    > own private memory and no direct access to system memory. Most Linux
    > programs won't make any use of those other 7 cores. Nor will the system
    > in general--if you are running four compute=bound program, Linux won't
    > be able to automatically spin them off to the 7 other cores.

    This says one and eight.

    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ion-three1.htm

    "The "Processing Element" of the Cell is a 3.2-GHz PowerPC core equipped
    with 512 KB of L2 cache. The PowerPC core is a type of microprocessor
    similar to the one you would find running the Apple G5. It's a powerful
    processor on its own and could easily run a computer by itself; but in
    the Cell, the PowerPC core is not the sole processor. Instead, it's more
    of a "managing processor." It delegates processing to the eight other
    processors on the chip, the Synergistic Processing Elements."

    and then one of the eight is redundant in case of core failure:

    "There are eight SPEs on the chip, but only seven of them handle
    processing. The eighth SPE is built in as redundancy in case one of the
    other seven fails."

  8. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > On 2007-12-10, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
    >> exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
    >> console.

    > One general purpose core, and 7 that are basically DSPs, each with its
    > own private memory and no direct access to system memory. Most Linux
    > programs won't make any use of those other 7 cores. Nor will the system
    > in general--if you are running four compute=bound program, Linux won't
    > be able to automatically spin them off to the 7 other cores.

    Maybe things have changed since March 2006?

    http://www.news.com/Linux-gets-built...3-6052314.html

    This source hints at some support:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

    Any Linux Operating System has access to 6 of the 7 Synergistic
    Processing Elements

    This one is intriguing:

    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/

    10/19/07: SDK 3.0 is here! The SDK is now generally available for Red
    Hat Enterprise Linux® (RHEL) Version 5.1. Developer versions can be
    downloaded for both RHEL5.1 and Fedora 7. The current Version 2.1 of
    the Cell/B.E. Software Development Toolkit on alphaWorks will be
    removed on 11/19/07.

    Apparently there is an SPU API for Linux:

    http://linux.die.net/man/2/spu_create

    http://linux.die.net/man/2/spufs

    However, I'm not disagreeing with you, as the game writers themselves
    have had to do plenty of work to fully access the PS3 processors, at
    least according to IEEE's Computer magazine.

    --
    Tux rox!

  9. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    On 2007-12-10, Linonut wrote:
    > This source hints at some support:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3
    >
    > Any Linux Operating System has access to 6 of the 7 Synergistic
    > Processing Elements

    > Apparently there is an SPU API for Linux:
    >
    > http://linux.die.net/man/2/spu_create
    >
    > http://linux.die.net/man/2/spufs
    >
    > However, I'm not disagreeing with you, as the game writers themselves
    > have had to do plenty of work to fully access the PS3 processors, at
    > least according to IEEE's Computer magazine.

    Yes, you can access them from Linux. I didn't mean to imply that you
    couldn't. The problem is that they are very specialized processors, and
    they don't share resources with the general core.

    So, here's how you use an SPE. You get some code compiled for it. It
    is a different instruction set than the general core. Some code on the
    general core has to load the code for the SPE into the SPE's memory,
    using a DMA operation (because SPE memory and regular system memory are
    separate, and the general core can't address the SPE memory, and the
    SPEs can't address system memory). If that code you are going to run on
    the SPE needs input data (for example, some compressed video frames you
    need to decompress), you have to DMA that in, too. You can then start
    the SPE running your code.

    When it finishes, the results are in the SPE's memory. Another DMA
    operation to get the data out where you can use it (e.g., to get the
    uncompressed video frames out so you can send them to your display
    device).

    Think of the SPEs as little specialized compute peripherals, connected
    by a fast bus to the main system, and you'll have the right frame of
    mind for figuring out when they are useful and when they aren't.

  10. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    On Dec 10, 12:07 pm, Hadron wrote:
    > Rex Ballard writes:
    > > On Dec 10, 10:34 am, monk88825 wrote:
    > >> You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your
    > >> PlayStation 3 gaming console.

    > > Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
    > > exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
    > > console.

    > > I would love to see Sony introduce a PS3 based computer running
    > > Linux. You really couldn't call it a PC, perhaps a "Linux Console".
    > > The Ubuntu Studio could be really exciting. For those not familiar

    > Don't be so naive. A "console" would never work at video editing. No way
    > near enough hard drive and memory. Unless, as usual, you are redefining
    > words to support your new breakthrough paradigm shift?

    You are probably right. Of course, an external USB drive can be as
    big as you want,
    there are terabyte drives available for as little as $200 each. I
    wasn't sure what the memory capacity was. It seems like the new
    generation of game consoles have much higher capacities, and the PS-3
    is well known for it's ability to generate multiple 3D objects in each
    of it's "Cores".

    > As for Sony producing a LInux PC - come off it. Sony are at the top of
    > the heap in the price charts for anything they make.

    An even better reason for Sony to introduce a Linux PC. Sony has
    often been the true innovator, not everything they introduce is the
    final market winner, but they have often introduced new genres of
    consumer electronics. They introduced the first Consumer Video
    Cassette Recorder, the Audio Cassette, the WalkMan, the CD player, the
    DVD, and the Blue-Ray HDTV disk.

    The other big player could be Phillips, who has often taken existing
    technology, often competitors to Sony, and made them commercially
    viable in the Market Place.

    > > with Ubuntu Studio, it's a Ubuntu distribution that includes a number
    > > of video and audio editing programs, in addition to the usual
    > > "typical" Linux applications such as Open Office and FireFox.

    > The PS3 is good for manipulating graphics on screen in entertainment
    > SW. And it does not use Linux for that. In fact you can not use Linux
    > for that (accessing its proprietary HW that is) to its potential.

    Can anyone confirm this. I thought I read in a web page recently that
    IBM or somebody else had a development package for the multi-cell
    processor used in the PS3. Not sure exactly what the story is on that
    at the moment.

  11. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    ____/ chrisv on Monday 10 December 2007 18:40 : \____

    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    >>Sounds like I might want to get myself a Sony Playstation 3.
    >>
    >>Just curious,
    >>does PS3 also support the high density SD-RAM and Memory Sticks (4Gig
    >>and 8 Gig)?
    >>does PS3 support high speed "Ulra-SD"?
    >>What is the maximum memory capacity of the PS3?

    > I'm pretty sure the PS3 uses a newish flavor of RDRAM that is not
    > available on any sort of stick.

    Many of the features are yet to be unlocked, later to be properly supported out
    of the box. You haven't seen the full potential of Linux on the PS3 yet. Those
    who buy a PS3 will get free upgrades (Linux is free to download and use after
    all).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | McDonald's Certified Sandwich Engineer (MCSE)
    Swap: 1510068k total, 453844k used, 1056224k free, 36356k cached

  12. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:

    > Think of the SPEs as little specialized compute peripherals, connected
    > by a fast bus to the main system, and you'll have the right frame of
    > mind for figuring out when they are useful and when they aren't.

    I gathered that :

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/po...brary/pa-cell/

    Spufs: The Cell Synergistic Processing Unit as a virtual file system

    The Linux programming model for Cell

    --
    Tux rox!

  13. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:

    > On Dec 10, 12:07 pm, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> The PS3 is good for manipulating graphics on screen in entertainment
    >> SW. And it does not use Linux for that. In fact you can not use Linux
    >> for that (accessing its proprietary HW that is) to its potential.

    > Can anyone confirm this. I thought I read in a web page recently that
    > IBM or somebody else had a development package for the multi-cell
    > processor used in the PS3. Not sure exactly what the story is on that
    > at the moment.

    My first thought is that we should add "Cell Processor expert" to the
    list of Hadron's qualifications.

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/po...brary/pa-cell/

    A joint team of Sony, IBM, and Toshiba employees based in Austin,
    Texas, did the groundwork for the Linux kernel port. The current set
    of kernel patches is based on the latest 2.6.xx snapshot kernel and
    is maintained by the IBM LTC (Linux Technology Center) team in
    Böblingen, Germany.

    That's in 2005.

    A joint team of Sony, IBM and Toshiba employees based in Austin,
    Texas did the groundwork for the Linux kernel port . The partnership,
    known also as STI, has been working on Cell since 2001.

    Hadron is turning out to be a real Renaissance man. When will the list
    of his qualifications ever end?

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    Linonut writes:

    > * Rex Ballard fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Dec 10, 12:07 pm, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> The PS3 is good for manipulating graphics on screen in entertainment
    >>> SW. And it does not use Linux for that. In fact you can not use Linux
    >>> for that (accessing its proprietary HW that is) to its potential.

    >> Can anyone confirm this. I thought I read in a web page recently that
    >> IBM or somebody else had a development package for the multi-cell
    >> processor used in the PS3. Not sure exactly what the story is on that
    >> at the moment.

    > My first thought is that we should add "Cell Processor expert" to the
    > list of Hadron's qualifications.

    That would be your first thought since you have gone quite loony
    recently.

    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/po...brary/pa-cell/
    >
    > A joint team of Sony, IBM, and Toshiba employees based in Austin,
    > Texas, did the groundwork for the Linux kernel port. The current set
    > of kernel patches is based on the latest 2.6.xx snapshot kernel and
    > is maintained by the IBM LTC (Linux Technology Center) team in
    > Böblingen, Germany.
    >
    > That's in 2005.

    So what? What has that got to do with anything we are discussing?

    > A joint team of Sony, IBM and Toshiba employees based in Austin,
    > Texas did the groundwork for the Linux kernel port . The partnership,
    > known also as STI, has been working on Cell since 2001.
    >
    > Hadron is turning out to be a real Renaissance man. When will the list
    > of his qualifications ever end?

    What are you talking about? I was referring to how the PS3 limiatations
    would make it unsuitable as a dedicated video editing console.

    All you have done is post two seemingly random sets of details that has
    nothing to do with the thread in hand.

    You have also noticed that I have expressed my interest in getting a PS3
    after xmas and installing Linux on it?

    Just what point are you trying to make here?

    The only link of importance I posted in this thread was questioning
    something Tim said:

    ,----
    | This says one and eight.
    |
    | http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ion-three1.htm
    |
    | "The "Processing Element" of the Cell is a 3.2-GHz PowerPC core equipped
    | with 512 KB of L2 cache. The PowerPC core is a type of microprocessor
    | similar to the one you would find running the Apple G5. It's a powerful
    | processor on its own and could easily run a computer by itself; but in
    | the Cell, the PowerPC core is not the sole processor. Instead, it's more
    | of a "managing processor." It delegates processing to the eight other
    | processors on the chip, the Synergistic Processing Elements."
    |
    | and then one of the eight is redundant in case of core failure:
    |
    | "There are eight SPEs on the chip, but only seven of them handle
    | processing. The eighth SPE is built in as redundancy in case one of the
    | other seven fails."
    `----

    As usual you just make things up for some reason.

  15. Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:01:59 -0500, Linonut wrote:

    > Hadron is turning out to be a real Renaissance man. When will the
    > list of his qualifications ever end?

    Performed as a sheep in kindergarten nativity play

+ Reply to Thread