[News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education - Linux ; Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 3000 Debian GNU Linux computers ,----[ Quote ] | The Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying more 3000 Debian GNU / Linux | computers , with four multimedia terminals and compatible printers ...

  1. [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 3000 Debian GNU Linux computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying more 3000 Debian GNU / Linux
    | computers , with four multimedia terminals and compatible printers for
    | installing at 3000 rural schools, with 36 months contractual support. This
    | next bidding adds up to the previous 90000 Debian GNU / Linux computers,
    | network and printers.
    `----

    http://times.debian.net/1199

    Related:

    Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All computers will be installed at 9000 brazilian schools.
    `----

    http://www.techforce.com.br/index.ph...bian_computers

    EnabledPeople & partners deploys 50,000 Linux desktops in Brazil January 6

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BitWay Computadores, Imtech Brazil and EnabledPeople launch
    | massive deployments of Linux PCs with preinstalled Linux XP
    | Desktop software for Brazil goverment program
    `----

    http://www.enabledpeople.com/blog/20...eptember-2006/
    http://tinyurl.com/yfy37p

    Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
    | Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
    | the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
    | across the country in the near future.
    `----

    http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

    Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
    | Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
    | software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
    | stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
    | significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...%2F14%2F266177

    Kubuntu Takes Over the Canary Islands

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Canary Islands have two derivatives of Kubuntu, one which is being
    | installed in all their schools and one used by the largest university.
    `----

    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1142

    All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
    | and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
    | the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop. ¬*
    `----

    CICT to computerize 320 public high schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The PCs are loaded with several open-source tools including EdUbuntu (a
    | version of Ubuntu designed for schools), OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL and
    | Mozilla Firefox, among others. ¬*
    `----

    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=95414

    Kerala On Linux Express Highway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    | express highway.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

    “Linux is more stable, it is crash resistant, and its compatibility and
    interoperability is as high as Microsoft‚ÄĚ

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here is what Wassan has to say on the strategic equilibrium that he is
    | working on for government and enterprises. He feels it is vital for
    | opening up an opportunity for Linux to compete and develop a stronghold
    | on the market
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Majority of the schools in Kerala, for instance, have already switched over
    | to Linux and this has been possible only with the help of government support.
    | Moreover, 18 of 28 Indian states use Linux or have pilot projects for to be
    | used in government depart¬*ments and education sector. ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | We have developed a partner¬*ship with eSys India who already has its own base
    | of large number of channel partners. Our products and software are supplied
    | to the end-customers through the retail partners of eSys. We are in a
    | dialogue to develop alliances with more and more distributors so that our
    | reach to the customers is increased. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://dqchannels.ciol.com/content/c.../107070601.asp

  2. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 3000 Debian GNU Linux
    > computers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying more 3000 Debian GNU /
    > | Linux computers , with four multimedia terminals and compatible printers
    > | for installing at 3000 rural schools, with 36 months contractual
    > | support. This next bidding adds up to the previous 90000 Debian GNU /
    > | Linux computers, network and printers.
    > `----
    >
    > http://times.debian.net/1199
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux
    > computers

    For the windummy controlled retards
    in Gartner$, Yankee$ and IDC$, you just need to
    total these kind of big Linux wins and you see its around 1 to 2 million
    per month of new Linux installs.

    If you want to lie about it, go for the 'Linux' sold approach and pick
    up the legal liability for mis-stating Linux sold. Linux is not
    sold, it is distributed as its released under the GPL.
    Only Linux support is ever sold.

  3. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    ____/ 7 on Monday 10 December 2007 23:20 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 3000 Debian GNU Linux
    >> computers
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying more 3000 Debian GNU /
    >> | Linux computers , with four multimedia terminals and compatible printers
    >> | for installing at 3000 rural schools, with 36 months contractual
    >> | support. This next bidding adds up to the previous 90000 Debian GNU /
    >> | Linux computers, network and printers.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://times.debian.net/1199
    >>

    >> Related:
    >>
    >> Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux
    >> computers

    > For the windummy controlled retards
    > in Gartner$, Yankee$ and IDC$, you just need to
    > total these kind of big Linux wins and you see its around 1 to 2 million
    > per month of new Linux installs.
    >
    > If you want to lie about it, go for the 'Linux' sold approach and pick
    > up the legal liability for mis-stating Linux sold. Linux is not
    > sold, it is distributed as its released under the GPL.
    > Only Linux support is ever sold.

    There's no law against 'analysts', which is many cases is just a fancy word
    for "shill for hire". Watch the internal documents from Microsoft (Effective
    Evanglism). Even Microsoft admits this. They are accomplices in a sense.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
    Cpu(s): 20.2%us, 3.4%sy, 0.9%ni, 71.6%id, 3.5%wa, 0.2%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  4. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    7 wrote:

    >> Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux
    >> computers

    > For the windummy controlled retards
    > in Gartner$, Yankee$ and IDC$, you just need to
    > total these kind of big Linux wins and you see its around 1 to 2
    > million per month of new Linux installs.

    Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux installs
    per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    > If you want to lie about it,

    You're the only liar (well you and most cola 'advocates'). You're the ones
    making up numbers and 'facts' you can't support:

    * Linux is 50x faster than Windows (you and OldTech)
    * Dell Ubuntu shipments were 70% of the total (Rex Ballard)
    * 20% to 50% of tech users run Linux (we can thank Numbonut for this howler)
    * Vista requires 10x to 20x the resources of Linux (Rasker)

    > go for the 'Linux' sold approach and pick
    > up the legal liability for mis-stating Linux sold. Linux is not
    > sold, it is distributed as its released under the GPL.

    Windows is not sold, either.

  5. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    DFS wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >>> Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux
    >>> computers

    >> For the windummy controlled retards
    >> in Gartner$, Yankee$ and IDC$, you just need to
    >> total these kind of big Linux wins and you see its around 1 to 2
    >> million per month of new Linux installs.

    > Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux installs
    > per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    That makes you the liar then.
    Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    >> If you want to lie about it,

    > You're the only liar (well you and most cola 'advocates'). You're the
    > ones making up numbers and 'facts' you can't support:
    >
    > * Linux is 50x faster than Windows (you and OldTech)
    > * Dell Ubuntu shipments were 70% of the total (Rex Ballard)
    > * 20% to 50% of tech users run Linux (we can thank Numbonut for this
    > howler) * Vista requires 10x to 20x the resources of Linux (Rasker)
    >
    >> go for the 'Linux' sold approach and pick
    >> up the legal liability for mis-stating Linux sold. Linux is not
    >> sold, it is distributed as its released under the GPL.

    > Windows is not sold, either.

    Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to windummies.

  6. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:23:24 GMT
    :
    > DFS wrote:

    >>> For the windummy controlled retards
    >>> in Gartner$, Yankee$ and IDC$, you just need to
    >>> total these kind of big Linux wins and you see its around 1 to 2
    >>> million per month of new Linux installs.

    >> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux installs
    >> per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    > BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    > That makes you the liar then.
    > Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    Assuming IBM doesn't succeed in its lawsuit:

    http://www.sys-con.com/read/472213.htm

    Granted, the patents don't even come close to the Eee (unless
    the power supply one has something I don't know about), but
    it's probably going to do nasty things to the Eee's sales.

    >>> If you want to lie about it,

    >> You're the only liar (well you and most cola 'advocates'). You're the
    >> ones making up numbers and 'facts' you can't support:
    >>
    >> * Linux is 50x faster than Windows (you and OldTech)
    >> * Dell Ubuntu shipments were 70% of the total (Rex Ballard)
    >> * 20% to 50% of tech users run Linux (we can thank Numbonut for this
    >> howler) * Vista requires 10x to 20x the resources of Linux (Rasker)
    >>
    >>> go for the 'Linux' sold approach and pick
    >>> up the legal liability for mis-stating Linux sold. Linux is not
    >>> sold, it is distributed as its released under the GPL.

    >> Windows is not sold, either.

    > Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to windummies.

    I'm not 100% sure about that, mostly because I think the
    "Windummy" is a "Computerdummy" as well, buying a unit
    off-the-shelf that happens to have already-installed
    crap thereon -- with license.

    This is hopefully changing, of course, and Vista's, erm,
    slightly less than enthusiastic reception is probably
    making people ask a few interesting questions of their
    salespeople.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  7. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    7 wrote:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux
    >> installs per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    > BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    > That makes you the liar then.
    > Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    What do wildly projected 2008 sales of a new gadget have to do with your
    wild-ass claim? Go ahead and give us some proof of 6 to 12 million new
    Linux installs since mid-July 2007.

    You can't. You make up the numbers, like Linux loonies always do.

    > Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to
    > windummies.

    Windows is not sold.

  8. Re: Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    On Dec 10, 6:51 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > 7 wrote:
    > > DFS wrote:
    > >> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux
    > >> installs per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    > > BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    > > That makes you the liar then.
    > > Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    > What do wildly projected 2008 sales of a new gadget have to do with your
    > wild-ass claim? Go ahead and give us some proof of 6 to 12 million new
    > Linux installs since mid-July 2007.
    >
    > You can't. You make up the numbers, like Linux loonies always do.
    >
    > > Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to
    > > windummies.

    > Windows is not sold.

    Man, oh man.
    Something sure does seem to be getting under DFS's hide these days.
    I wonders if Steve and Bill are threatening to take away DFS's XBox
    360 and ground him in his room for a week for not advocating Windows
    Vista like he should be.

  9. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:51:37 -0500
    :
    > 7 wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux
    >>> installs per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    >> BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    >> That makes you the liar then.
    >> Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    > What do wildly projected 2008 sales of a new gadget have to do with your
    > wild-ass claim? Go ahead and give us some proof of 6 to 12 million new
    > Linux installs since mid-July 2007.
    >
    > You can't. You make up the numbers, like Linux loonies always do.

    ASUSTek has a problem in this area as they do not appear
    to be part of the US stock exchange.

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15630/1144/

    does, however, suggest a pessimistic estimate of
    "3 million next year" -- since the report is dated
    2007-12-04 that's presumably 2008. If this holds
    true that suggests a raw revenue stream of $1.5B.

    There are some interesting quirks here, since the
    above suggests the Eee ships with a variant of Xandros,
    but Microsoft has generously (!) offered a 30% discount
    for anyone who wants to install WinXP thereon, if I'm
    reading the above correctly.

    http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../29/2003390407

    suggests as many as 5 million - or $2.5B.

    However, the Xbox is even more popular. According to
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/24899/102/
    Microsoft "shifted"[*] 6 million consoles from Feb 28
    to June of 2006. At that rate, there should be about
    42 million consoles by the start of 2008 and 56 million
    by the end of 2008.

    Of course that's a very big ASSumption, so I'd have to dig
    a bit for more reliable figures. But it's clear I can
    count on 3 million Eees at a minimum and 5 million as
    a reasonably reliable estimate -- if Asus can keep up
    with demand.

    XBox certainly can.

    >> Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to
    >> windummies.

    > Windows is not sold.

    The entire system (including Windows) is sold, and that's
    more or less as it should be, since the user doesn't
    really give a rat's rear as to what subcomponents are on
    the system except that they can perform the task required,
    be it browsing the Web, analyzing spreadsheets, writing
    and organizing papers, chatting with hundreds of their
    closest friends, receiving mail, syncing with their mobile,
    or playing the latest KillerGame(tm).

    Of course, he *will* care if the system gets infected with
    unwanted spyware, malware, and evilware, of course.
    [*] Interesting terminology, that.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  10. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    The Ghost In The Machine espoused:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:23:24 GMT
    >:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux installs
    >>> per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    >> BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    >> That makes you the liar then.
    >> Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    > Assuming IBM doesn't succeed in its lawsuit:
    >
    > http://www.sys-con.com/read/472213.htm
    >
    > Granted, the patents don't even come close to the Eee (unless
    > the power supply one has something I don't know about), but
    > it's probably going to do nasty things to the Eee's sales.

    Another patent attack... I thought that IBM had always claimed that
    their patent portfolio was for defensive purposes - clearly that's no
    longer the case.

    I would think that every major player will look at everything which is
    selling very well and attempt to tax it through a patent portfolio.
    This whole approach needs to stop.

    >>> You're the only liar (well you and most cola 'advocates'). You're the
    >>> ones making up numbers and 'facts' you can't support:
    >>>
    >>> * Linux is 50x faster than Windows (you and OldTech)
    >>> * Dell Ubuntu shipments were 70% of the total (Rex Ballard)
    >>> * 20% to 50% of tech users run Linux (we can thank Numbonut for this
    >>> howler) * Vista requires 10x to 20x the resources of Linux (Rasker)

    >>> Windows is not sold, either.

    >> Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to windummies.
    >>

    > I'm not 100% sure about that, mostly because I think the
    > "Windummy" is a "Computerdummy" as well, buying a unit
    > off-the-shelf that happens to have already-installed
    > crap thereon -- with license.
    >
    > This is hopefully changing, of course, and Vista's, erm,
    > slightly less than enthusiastic reception is probably
    > making people ask a few interesting questions of their
    > salespeople.

    "Why don't my games work any more?"
    "Why aren't any of my peripherals working any more?"
    "Why is it so slow?"
    "Why did I buy it anyway?"

  11. Re: [News] Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    Asstroturfer DFS wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > 7 wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> Why don't you prove these stories tally 1 to 2 million new Linux
    >>> installs per month? You won't, and you can't, 'cause they don't.

    >> BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!
    >> That makes you the liar then.
    >> Ausus eee alone is earmarked at 3.8M sales for next year.

    > What do wildly projected 2008 sales of a new gadget have to do with your
    > wild-ass claim? Go ahead and give us some proof of 6 to 12 million new
    > Linux installs since mid-July 2007.
    >
    > You can't. You make up the numbers, like Linux loonies always do.

    You are just such a sorry luzer.
    The only thing you can do now is bury your head in sand.
    You could instead read all the Linux press releases
    and get some estimate of between 1 and 2 million new Linux installs
    per month. And the rate is increasing with more and more Linux
    adoption stories going into press.

    And what of the number of Linux gadgets shipping per day?
    At least 1 million Linux gadgets gets sold per day.

    Go ahead and contest that as well.
    You may as well, its what an asstroturfer like you gets paid
    to write disparaging anti-Linux messages is all about.

    >> Sorry to correct you here, but Windummy licenses ARE SOLD to
    >> windummies.

    > Windows is not sold.

  12. Re: Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    bobbie wrote:

    > Man, oh man.
    > Something sure does seem to be getting under DFS's hide these days.

    Nothing new - just the same old lameness from the same old lamers.

    > I wonders if Steve and Bill are threatening to take away DFS's XBox
    > 360 and ground him in his room for a week for not advocating Windows
    > Vista like he should be.

    Vista is somewhat worth advocating - especially when you compare it to a
    laughable system like Linux/OSS. Soon I'll try my downloaded Crysis demo
    (which runs smashingly on my WinServer03 box) on Vista/DX10.

    Maybe I'll post some Crysis screenshots so you deprived Linux lusers can
    drool? Or would you prefer to see the sheer brilliance of Office 2007 in
    action?

    Enjoy ;-)

  13. Re: Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >> Man, oh man.
    >> Something sure does seem to be getting under DFS's hide these days.

    > Nothing new - just the same old lameness from the same old lamers.

    Says the prize lamer.

    >> I wonders if Steve and Bill are threatening to take away DFS's XBox
    >> 360 and ground him in his room for a week for not advocating Windows
    >> Vista like he should be.

    > Vista is somewhat worth advocating - especially when you compare it to a
    > laughable system like Linux/OSS. Soon I'll try my downloaded Crysis demo
    > (which runs smashingly on my WinServer03 box) on Vista/DX10.
    >
    > Maybe I'll post some Crysis screenshots so you deprived Linux lusers can
    > drool? Or would you prefer to see the sheer brilliance of Office 2007 in
    > action?

    Idiot.

    --
    Tux rox!

  14. Re: Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Says the prize lamer.

    You're a new lamer (recently dedicating an entire post to top posting and
    word wrapping) - same as the old lamer (Kohlmann).

    >> Vista is somewhat worth advocating - especially when you compare it
    >> to a laughable system like Linux/OSS. Soon I'll try my downloaded
    >> Crysis demo (which runs smashingly on my WinServer03 box) on
    >> Vista/DX10.
    >>
    >> Maybe I'll post some Crysis screenshots so you deprived Linux lusers
    >> can drool? Or would you prefer to see the sheer brilliance of
    >> Office 2007 in action?

    > Idiot.

    It's no joke, Lameonut. You wacks can pretend Linux gaming and office apps
    are
    worth their cost, but real gamers and real businesses know better.

  15. Re: Brazil Carries on Buying More GNU/Linux PCs for Education

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    >> Says the prize lamer.

    > You're a new lamer (recently dedicating an entire post to top posting and
    > word wrapping) - same as the old lamer (Kohlmann).

    That's all you think was my point? Dude, you need to read for
    comprehension.

    >>> Maybe I'll post some Crysis screenshots so you deprived Linux lusers
    >>> can drool? Or would you prefer to see the sheer brilliance of
    >>> Office 2007 in action?

    >> Idiot.

    > It's no joke, Lameonut.
    >
    > You wacks can pretend Linux gaming and office apps are
    > worth their cost, but real gamers and real businesses know better.

    Whatever. I simply don't care.

    Your continually dazed-fanboi approach to Windows stuff in a Linux
    newsgroup tars you as an idiot.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread