Re: [News] City of Largo Florida Embraces Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] City of Largo Florida Embraces Linux - Linux ; "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message news:fjf7aj$2ce$1@news.albasani.net... > This article written five years ago today, is an excellent written article > on a successful migration from Microsoft environment to a Linux one. > Except that they didn't migrate from a ...

  1. Re: [News] City of Largo Florida Embraces Linux

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    > This article written five years ago today, is an excellent written article
    > on a successful migration from Microsoft environment to a Linux one.

    Except that they didn't migrate from a Microsoft environment. They went
    from Unix and X-terminals to Linux and thin clients.

    "Networks and thin clients are not new to Largo (motto: "City of Progress").
    The city started down this path in 1992 with SCO (now Caldera) Unixware and
    its Motif-based IXI desktop that, Dave says, "looked a lot like Windows
    3.1." Later they started using KDE 1 on both OpenServer and Unixware, and
    finally, in July 2001, made the switch to Red Hat Linux 7.1 and KDE 2.1.1, a
    change Dave says "has gone really well." "

    http://www.linux.com/articles/15416

    BFD

  2. Re: [News] City of Largo Florida Embraces Linux

    On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 12:21:50 -0500, "amicus_curious"
    wrote:

    >"High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    >> This article written five years ago today, is an excellent written article
    >> on a successful migration from Microsoft environment to a Linux one.
    >>

    >Except that they didn't migrate from a Microsoft environment. They went
    >from Unix and X-terminals to Linux and thin clients.
    >
    >"Networks and thin clients are not new to Largo (motto: "City of Progress").
    >The city started down this path in 1992 with SCO (now Caldera) Unixware and
    >its Motif-based IXI desktop that, Dave says, "looked a lot like Windows
    >3.1." Later they started using KDE 1 on both OpenServer and Unixware, and
    >finally, in July 2001, made the switch to Red Hat Linux 7.1 and KDE 2.1.1, a
    >change Dave says "has gone really well." "
    >
    >http://www.linux.com/articles/15416
    >
    >BFD

    I gave up trying to correct the Linux loons.
    When they have to go back 5 years ago for advocacy articles it's
    getting deep around here.

  3. Re: [News] City of Largo Florida Embraces Linux

    flatfish schreef:
    > "amicus_curious" wrote:
    >> "High Plains Thumper" wrote...]
    >>
    >>> This article written five years ago today, is an excellent
    >>> written article on a successful migration from Microsoft
    >>> environment to a Linux one.

    >> Except that they didn't migrate from a Microsoft
    >> environment. They went from Unix and X-terminals to Linux
    >> and thin clients. "Networks and thin clients are not new to
    >> Largo (motto: "City of Progress"). The city started down
    >> this path in 1992 with SCO (now Caldera) Unixware and its
    >> Motif-based IXI desktop that, Dave says, "looked a lot like
    >> Windows 3.1." Later they started using KDE 1 on both
    >> OpenServer and Unixware, and finally, in July 2001, made the
    >> switch to Red Hat Linux 7.1 and KDE 2.1.1, a change Dave
    >> says "has gone really well." "
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/articles/15416
    >>
    >> BFD

    LOL, yes it is a BFD. From article:

    If Largo ran Windows 2000 as a server operating system, Dave says
    they'd have to run "a substantial server cluster" instead of a
    single machine, because "NT [or 2000] gets flaky when you run
    more than 40 clients, while Linux can handle hundreds." Dave has
    no exact figure for the cost of of an adequate Windows server
    array for Largo's civic needs; it was obviously so much more
    expensive than the Linux alternative that it was never seriously
    considered.

    On the client side, Dave estimates the current system, compared
    to Windows desktops, gives Largo direct hardware savings of about
    $300,000 per year, figuring that they'd have to swap out
    one-third of the city's desktops every year "just to stay
    current, not to increase productivity," if they ran Windows, a
    proposition Dave doesn't think would make the city's elected
    officials -- to whom he reports -- dance with joy.
    Why didn't they ever invest in a Microsoft server environment,
    hmmmmm?

    > I gave up trying to correct the Linux loons. When they have to
    > around here.

    Oh, well I am so sorry you have such a reading comprehension
    problem. Nonetheless, let's look at 2007 and Macedonia, shall we?

    http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/article...9291282,00.htm

    A Linux thin client for every child
    Andrew Donoghue ZDNet.co.uk
    Published: 05 Dec 2007 15:26 GMT

    They will be rolling out 180,000 student seats, of which 100,000
    are being done right now over a five-month period. They are going
    into high schools because those students are the closest to
    entering the workplace and they want them to be computer-
    literate. Next year 80,000 additional seats are being rolled out
    into primary schools.

    These 180,000 seats make up 50 percent of the students in the
    country because they don't have enough classrooms for all the
    students, so in essence half of the students go to school in the
    morning from 6am till noon, and the other half go from noon to
    6pm. This way, 180,000 seats service nearly 4[0]0,000 students.
    --
    HPT

  4. Re: [News] City of Largo Florida Embraces Linux

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:57:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    It's always easy to tell when High Plains Dumper has been caught in one of
    his Wendy trolls.
    He goes on a massive offensive.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb