[News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers - Linux ; Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box ,----[ Quote ] | Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core | processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less? | | [...] | ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
    | processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
    | change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
    | when the market wants so little.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

    Check out this video: "Ubuntu on Eee with Compiz-Fusion out of the box"

    http://hup.hu/node/48031

    Neither XP nor Vista, which can't even run on such devices, ever match
    GNU/Linux. Endgame.

    Yesterday:

    Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
    | time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
    | tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
    | in users' hands. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
    | point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
    | XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
    | Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
    | no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
    | of the desktop market pie. * * *
    `----

    Related:

    Where does Linux go from here?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux and free software are here to stay. No single commercial firm will ever
    | control the Linux ecosystem like Microsoft has the rest of the software
    | industry. Though both may prosper, the bazaar will outlive the boardrooms,
    | and Linux popularity will continue to grow on servers, desktops, appliances,
    | and embedded devices. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119865s

    This time for sure on mobile Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Wal-Mart Linux PC, priced at $198, is sold out. Zonbu seems to be gaining
    | traction, with a notebook priced at $279.
    |
    | “You’re seeing incredibly improved device drivers. We’ve got hundreds now.
    | This is a phenomenal effort that plays to the strength of Linux, a volunteer
    | community representing millions of dollars in free development. *
    |
    | “You’re seeing more manufacturers shipping Linux desktops, PCs and laptops
    | but also mobile Internet devices from Acer, Motorola’s Razr, TiVo…there’s a
    | slew of new devices coming out.” *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1773

    Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
    | didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
    | the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
    | numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
    | handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said. * *
    `----

    Google's mobile move: awe-inspiring and terrifying

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is also another awe-inspiring -- or terrifying, depending on one's
    | perspective -- display of the engineering and business resources Google can
    | unleash and of the power it has to influence, disrupt and rearrange markets. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93133

    Google spending hundreds of millions on mobile

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Anian, a Reuters company that tracks industry trends for institutional
    | investors, reported last month that Google had engaged Taiwan's High Tech
    | Computer Corpto design a Linux
    | software-based phone for launch in the first quarter of 2008. *
    `----

    http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nN02242073

    Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
    | second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
    | widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
    | 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share. *
    `---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

    After the Desktop -- What?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
    | with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
    | the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
    | will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
    | machine on a particular room every time you need access to
    | information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
    | of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
    | yard every time you need water.
    `----

    http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html

    Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
    | that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
    `----

    http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

    FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
    | alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
    `----

    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-os/2007-01-03

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
    > | processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
    > | change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
    > | when the market wants so little.
    > `----

    Interesting. I don't know if the current trend of lightweight
    desktops and sub-notebooks will be as market shaking as this
    article implies, but whatever the impact it certainly favors
    Linux over Windows. With Vista, MS has basically rolled out
    a gas guzzling SUV when the market was asking for hybrids.

    Thad

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
    >> | processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
    >> |
    >> | [...]
    >> |
    >> | The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
    >> | change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
    >> | when the market wants so little.
    >> `----

    > Interesting. I don't know if the current trend of lightweight
    > desktops and sub-notebooks will be as market shaking as this
    > article implies, but whatever the impact it certainly favors
    > Linux over Windows. With Vista, MS has basically rolled out
    > a gas guzzling SUV when the market was asking for hybrids.

    Well, where I live there are an awful lot of lumbering, gas-guzzling
    BATs [1] being driven by lumbering, alcohol-guzzling drivers.

    ----------------

    [1] BAT: Big-Assed Truck

    --
    Tux rox!

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    Linonut wrote:

    > Hmmmm, almost time to stop at the Cheney station to gas up. My little
    > Yaris gets 40 miles/gallon if I buy "premium".

    My Ford Focus does OK, but my next car will be at least a plug-in
    hybrid if not full EV. With the new solar panels going up next
    spring, I hope to significantly reduce my consumption of dead
    dinosaurs.

    Thad

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 18:38:30 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com
    wrote:

    >Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmmmm, almost time to stop at the Cheney station to gas up. My little
    >> Yaris gets 40 miles/gallon if I buy "premium".

    >My Ford Focus does OK, but my next car will be at least a plug-in
    >hybrid if not full EV. With the new solar panels going up next
    >spring, I hope to significantly reduce my consumption of dead
    >dinosaurs.
    >
    >Thad

    Don't do it Thad!!!!!
    While the hybrid looks good emotionally, if you do the math, including
    the tax deduction, you will find it will take you 4 years or more to
    make up the difference in price.
    This comes from the last I heard, so maybe things have changed but I
    doubt it.
    Hybrids also cost a HELL of a lot more to maintain.
    Don't believe it?
    Read the scheduled maintenance charts for any of them and make sure
    you pick the severe driving chart because nobody qualifies for the
    standard one.
    Also you are tied to the $tealer, errrrr, dealer for service.....

    In a nutshell, don't do it.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    flatfish wrote:

    > Don't do it Thad!!!!!
    > While the hybrid looks good emotionally, if you do the math, including
    > the tax deduction, you will find it will take you 4 years or more to
    > make up the difference in price.
    > This comes from the last I heard, so maybe things have changed but I
    > doubt it.
    > Hybrids also cost a HELL of a lot more to maintain.
    > Don't believe it?
    > Read the scheduled maintenance charts for any of them and make sure
    > you pick the severe driving chart because nobody qualifies for the
    > standard one.
    > Also you are tied to the $tealer, errrrr, dealer for service.....
    >
    > In a nutshell, don't do it.

    The cost/payback beakdown looks a lot better for a plug-in hybrid.
    If your driving pattern is the typical 30 to 40 miles per day, you
    can end up with an effective gas mileage of 120, even 150 mpg. If
    you supplement with solar panels (as I plan to) it gets even better.

    I haven't fully researched the maintenance issues but I certainly
    will. To be honest my preference is to go full EV, its just that
    there are not many options available yet here in the US. A
    plug-in hybrid is almost as good for shorter hops and has the
    advantage of having longer range when needed.

    With a full EV, maintenance is far less. That will happen when
    you remove the infernal combustion engine.

    Thad

    Note: for those that don't know what a 'plug-in hybrid' is, it is
    a gasoline/electric hybrid that has been outfitted with batteries
    that can be charged from the grid (rather than just from
    regenerative braking). Typically, a plugin hybrid can drive 30
    to 60 miles completely on its batteries before ever kicking in
    the gasoline engine.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:46:42 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com
    wrote:

    >flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't do it Thad!!!!!
    >> While the hybrid looks good emotionally, if you do the math, including
    >> the tax deduction, you will find it will take you 4 years or more to
    >> make up the difference in price.
    >> This comes from the last I heard, so maybe things have changed but I
    >> doubt it.
    >> Hybrids also cost a HELL of a lot more to maintain.
    >> Don't believe it?
    >> Read the scheduled maintenance charts for any of them and make sure
    >> you pick the severe driving chart because nobody qualifies for the
    >> standard one.
    >> Also you are tied to the $tealer, errrrr, dealer for service.....
    >>
    >> In a nutshell, don't do it.

    >The cost/payback beakdown looks a lot better for a plug-in hybrid.
    >If your driving pattern is the typical 30 to 40 miles per day, you
    >can end up with an effective gas mileage of 120, even 150 mpg. If
    >you supplement with solar panels (as I plan to) it gets even better.
    >
    >I haven't fully researched the maintenance issues but I certainly
    >will. To be honest my preference is to go full EV, its just that
    >there are not many options available yet here in the US. A
    >plug-in hybrid is almost as good for shorter hops and has the
    >advantage of having longer range when needed.
    >
    >With a full EV, maintenance is far less. That will happen when
    >you remove the infernal combustion engine.
    >
    >Thad
    >
    >Note: for those that don't know what a 'plug-in hybrid' is, it is
    >a gasoline/electric hybrid that has been outfitted with batteries
    >that can be charged from the grid (rather than just from
    >regenerative braking). Typically, a plugin hybrid can drive 30
    >to 60 miles completely on its batteries before ever kicking in
    >the gasoline engine.

    If your home is solar panels then that's obviously a huge advantage.
    Look, all I'm saying is look into it.
    Check the battery warranty.
    Check if you need 'certified' mechancis to work on your car.
    Run the numbers.

    I drive a 2007 Mustang GT convertible.
    It's fire engine red with white ralley stripes, a Bassani exhaust and
    a Kenne Bell supercharger.
    All totaled, it makes about 450hp to the rear wheels and will snap
    your neck with torque.
    And guess what?
    It gets better mileage, with normal driving, than my 2006 Dodge
    Caravan family truckster.

    Why?
    The Caravan has a measly 3.8l engine with no torque and a very thirsty
    throttle body injection.
    The stang has a fuel efficient multiport tuned injection system that
    is barely breathing most of the time.
    IOW at 55mph on the highway if I want to pass some slug I feather the
    gas pedal.
    With the caravan it's a mission of mercy.
    Translation=Mustang 26mpg (22 city up to 30 total highway) Caravan
    never better than 20mpg no matter what.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    flatfish :
    > On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 18:38:30 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hmmmm, almost time to stop at the Cheney station to gas up. My little
    >>> Yaris gets 40 miles/gallon if I buy "premium".

    >>My Ford Focus does OK, but my next car will be at least a plug-in
    >>hybrid if not full EV. With the new solar panels going up next
    >>spring, I hope to significantly reduce my consumption of dead
    >>dinosaurs.
    >>
    >>Thad

    > Don't do it Thad!!!!!
    > While the hybrid looks good emotionally, if you do the math, including
    > the tax deduction, you will find it will take you 4 years or more to
    > make up the difference in price.

    Two words.

    Motor

    Cycle

    My little Yamaha Maxim 400 takes about $10 CAN to get me the 5k to work
    and back for two weeks, and a bit more, without ever touching the
    reserve tank. Commuter bikes are fun and economical.

    --
    Men will always be men -- no matter where they are.
    -- Harry Mudd, "Mudd's Women", stardate 1329.8

    www.websterscafe.com

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    Handover Phist wrote:

    > Two words.
    >
    > Motor
    >
    > Cycle
    >
    > My little Yamaha Maxim 400 takes about $10 CAN to get me the 5k to work
    > and back for two weeks, and a bit more, without ever touching the
    > reserve tank. Commuter bikes are fun and economical.

    My girlfriend says the same. She used to own a Ducati Monster
    until it was stolen. We've a running joke that I'll buy her
    an engagement motorcycle instead of a ring (truth be told, I'll
    probably buy her both). Me, I've my eye on a classic BMW bike.
    Knowing me, I'll probably spend more time tinkering with it
    than riding it.

    Thad

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:51:16 GMT, Handover Phist
    wrote:

    >Two words.
    >
    >Motor
    >
    >Cycle
    >
    >My little Yamaha Maxim 400 takes about $10 CAN to get me the 5k to work
    >and back for two weeks, and a bit more, without ever touching the
    >reserve tank. Commuter bikes are fun and economical.

    One word...family.

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    flatfish :
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:51:16 GMT, Handover Phist
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Two words.
    >>
    >>Motor
    >>
    >>Cycle
    >>
    >>My little Yamaha Maxim 400 takes about $10 CAN to get me the 5k to work
    >>and back for two weeks, and a bit more, without ever touching the
    >>reserve tank. Commuter bikes are fun and economical.

    > One word...family.

    My wife rides as well. Dont be so scared to die that you don't live.

    --
    GODLESS COMMIE SCUM

    www.websterscafe.com

  12. Re: [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    On Dec 10, 7:01 am, Handover Phist
    wrote:
    > flatfish :
    >
    > > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:51:16 GMT, Handover Phist
    > > wrote:

    > >>Two words.

    > >>Motor

    > >>Cycle

    > >>My little Yamaha Maxim 400 takes about $10 CAN to get me the 5k to work
    > >>and back for two weeks, and a bit more, without ever touching the
    > >>reserve tank. Commuter bikes are fun and economical.

    > > One word...family.

    > My wife rides as well. Dont be so scared to die that you don't live.

    There is no need for a Caravan if it is just you and the spouse.
    Kids have a staggering impact on how one's time must be multitasked.

    > --
    > GODLESS COMMIE SCUM

    Hey, that's ME!!! (Well, not the Godless part, or the Commie part,
    nor the scum part)

    > www.websterscafe.com

  13. Re: [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    unionpenny@yahoo.com :
    > On Dec 10, 7:01 am, Handover Phist
    > wrote:
    >> flatfish :

    >> > One word...family.

    >> My wife rides as well. Dont be so scared to die that you don't live.

    > There is no need for a Caravan if it is just you and the spouse.
    > Kids have a staggering impact on how one's time must be multitasked.

    I know, My son rides on the back . The wife and boy use the cat in the
    winter, but I keep riding if I can. Today was the first day this year I
    walked out onto the street, slid around in my shoes a bit, and went for
    the bus tickets. It was a freaking rink out there this morning and I
    mught be crazy, but I'm not THAT crazy!

    >> --
    >> GODLESS COMMIE SCUM

    > Hey, that's ME!!! (Well, not the Godless part, or the Commie part,
    > nor the scum part)

    The sig generator is an unpredictable thing...

    --
    CHEER UP EMO KID

    www.websterscafe.com

  14. Re: [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    Handover Phist :

    > I know, My son rides on the back . The wife and boy use the cat in the
    > winter, but I keep riding if I can. Today was the first day this year I

    That is one of the funniest typos I've ever done.

    --
    MY JOB SUCKS ASS

    www.websterscafe.com

  15. Re: [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    Verily I say unto thee, that Handover Phist spake thusly:
    > Handover Phist :

    >> I know, My son rides on the back . The wife and boy use the cat
    >> in the winter, but I keep riding if I can. Today was the first day
    >> this year I

    > That is one of the funniest typos I've ever done.

    I've contrived many things to do with a moggie, but riding was never one
    of them. Round my way, we prefer sheep. It's all a matter of taste.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and
    >>> dual-core processors.

    This is the lie that feeds cola's idiocy, day after day. Vista does not
    demand monster graphics and dual-core processors (though it does benefit a
    lot from monster 2gb system memory, which is an absurd amount of memory to
    smoothly run a desktop OS).

    > Interesting. I don't know if the current trend of lightweight
    > desktops and sub-notebooks will be as market shaking as this
    > article implies, but whatever the impact it certainly favors
    > Linux over Windows.

    It might favor Linux over Windows if Linux was an acceptable alternative to
    Windows.

    > With Vista, MS has basically rolled out
    > a gas guzzling SUV when the market was asking for hybrids.

    Aside from the fact that Vista is not a 'gas guzzler', big SUVs are still
    selling extremely well in a $3/gallon market. And they always will.

    Not everyone is hysterically cheap and/or broke - cost is not nearly a good
    enough reason to switch to Linux.

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    DFS wrote:

    > It might favor Linux over Windows if Linux was an acceptable alternative to
    > Windows.

    It is, for me and millions of other people.

    > Aside from the fact that Vista is not a 'gas guzzler', big SUVs are still
    > selling extremely well in a $3/gallon market. And they always will.

    Demand for SUVs is down and manufacturers and dealers are having to
    slash prices to move them. It is still the most profitable class of
    vehicle for American car makers, but that just goes to show how
    badly they've missed the boat with hybrids and the like.

    > Not everyone is hysterically cheap and/or broke - cost is not nearly a good
    >enough reason to switch to Linux.

    My point was not about cost, but which operating system is best
    suited for the fast growing lightweight desktop / sub-notebook
    market. From a purely performance standpoint, Linux is
    obviously a better fit than Vista. License cost is just just
    icing on the cake.

    Thad

  18. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > My point was not about cost, but which operating system is best
    > suited for the fast growing lightweight desktop / sub-notebook
    > market. From a purely performance standpoint, Linux is
    > obviously a better fit than Vista. License cost is just just
    > icing on the cake.

    More icing:

    Little or no DRM.
    Much more configurable. Incredibly more configurable.
    Far better application installation system(s).
    Source installs available.
    Easier to fix.

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista Kills Microsoft's Prospects with Small Computers

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:02:21 -0500
    :
    > thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    > This is the lie that feeds cola's idiocy, day after day. Vista does not
    > demand monster graphics and dual-core processors (though it does benefit a
    > lot from monster 2gb system memory, which is an absurd amount of memory to
    > smoothly run a desktop OS).

    Feh. DOS used to run in 128k, and even then, that was a
    little bloated compared to some environments. For example,
    ENIAC at one point had 18,000 vacuum tubes, though it's
    not clear how much of them were used for storage; the
    Wiki suggests 20 10-digit accumulators and 6,000 switches
    (its version of ROM, presumably). Granted, neither DOS
    nor ENIAC had quite the same number of features as a
    modern desktop.

    During my high school (late 70's) we used the 2100 series
    (our 2114B was affectionally, if slightly unimaginatively,
    named "Num Num"). This was an HP unit that had ferrule
    core RAM, about 16 kB by modern standards (organized as 8k
    words of 16 bits each, each bit being a little toroid).
    The clock speed was apparently 600-625 kHz, but each
    instruction took only 1 cycle unless the indirect bit was
    set [+]. There was no disk as such for most of my time
    there, though when I left high school they did acquire one
    from HP, but hadn't gotten around to hooking it up yet
    when I graduated. The machine had absolutely no stack,
    unless one wrote code that handled the return address
    and put it somewhere. Nevertheless, it could drive 3-4
    teletypes with a variant of BASIC, though the error codes
    were ridiculously cryptic ("ERROR 76" for out of data; we
    had a number of pamphlets running around explaining these)
    and there were only about 276 variables, named A0-Z9,
    plus A-Z.

    We also had an Apple ][, which maxed out at 64k and had
    a 4 MHz clock; I won't bore you with the 6502's details
    except that Page Zero (0x0000-0x00FF) was very crowded.
    In retrospect, Num Num's days were numbered, even back
    then...

    The Amiga could run in as little as 256k; prototypes ran
    with 128k. Atari had comparable specs but I'd have to
    look.

    The IBM PC could use 64k and dedicated about 4k ROM (IIRC)
    to a BASICA interpreter in ROM; the other 4k was for BIOS.

    At one point Debian could be installed in 4 megabytes;
    the minimum is now more like 14, last I checked.

    Compared to the admittedly antique artifacts, a modern
    Vista system is mondo giganto, and even the modern Linux
    distros could stand to lose a little weight. Of course
    desktops are far more efficient too; ENIAC required 150 kW,
    ran at 100 kHz (though the actual machine cycle was more
    like 5 kHz) took up a room, and required quite a bit of
    forced-air cooling.

    >> Interesting. I don't know if the current trend of lightweight
    >> desktops and sub-notebooks will be as market shaking as this
    >> article implies, but whatever the impact it certainly favors
    >> Linux over Windows.

    > It might favor Linux over Windows if Linux was an acceptable
    > alternative to Windows.

    That depends on the audience, methinks -- and that's where
    marketing comes into play.

    Linux: little marketing, high capability, doomed[*].
    Windows: lots of marketing, just enough capability, ubiquitous.

    Same thing happened with OS/2 and with Amiga (though the
    Amiga might have had the additional problem of incompetence
    at high levels, resulting in Commodore having a heart
    attack).

    So what's more important in a computer today, technical
    capability or marketing? Chances are, it's marketing.
    Not the best of answers but only a very few humans like
    myself are even close to technically inclined; most people
    probably don't know what goes into a light switch, let
    alone a modern desktop computer unit.

    >> With Vista, MS has basically rolled out
    >> a gas guzzling SUV when the market was asking for hybrids.

    > Aside from the fact that Vista is not a 'gas guzzler',
    > big SUVs are still selling extremely well in a $3/gallon
    > market. And they always will.
    >
    > Not everyone is hysterically cheap and/or broke - cost is
    > not nearly a good enough reason to switch to Linux.

    Depends on what one is costing, admittedly. Microsoft SQL
    Server has one of the best performance/cost ratios [%]
    in the business, but that doesn't mean it'll beat Oracle
    or SAS anytime soon in terms of raw performance.

    [+] This effectively limited available address space to
    32 kW, presumably. Apparently we only had half that.
    [*] Well, we'll see. I for one hope not, but certainly
    Microsoft isn't anywhere near dead, and is still
    getting $54B/year revenue and about $15B/year profits,
    with 23% quarterly earnings growth year-on-year.
    This is not a dying company -- yet -- though it does
    seem to have a certain propensity of aiming at its
    own feet and shooting one of them on a regular basis.
    However, bad press is occasionally touted as better
    than no press at all; the problem (for Microsoft)
    is that Linux has gotten quite a bit of press, much
    of it very good indeed.

    [%] http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Artic...943/96943.html
    (requires subscription to view full article).
    Not sure if this includes zero-price options such
    as PostgreSQL, MySQL, or Hypersonic (part of JBoss).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.