Ubuntu: A new pastime

,----[ Quote ]
| I just switched operating systems. I was using primarily Windows XP Home
| Edition, and switched to Linux based Ubuntu. So far the transition has been
| smooth and everything seems to be running well.
`----

http://aaronbatteen.blogspot.com/200...w-pastime.html

My first blog-novel: Life with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| My next attempt was Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft). MUCH nicer display manager!
| Arguably more windows-like than Gnome (Ubuntu), but just overall more
| flexible and powerful. Enter the light of the K Desktop Environment.
`----

http://hurricanelabs.blogspot.com/20...ith-linux.html

Which Distro Will Be First to Ship KDE4?

,----[ Quote ]
| My prediction is that on the release day of KDE 4.0.0 we will see a whole
| bunch of distributions providing packages either in their development tree or
| in separate repositories for older distro releases which should satisfy very
| early adopters of KDE4 now asking this question. And that we will see several
| distro releases in first half of 2008 containing a later KDE 4.0.x bugfix
| release for early adopters of KDE4.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3133

Related:

Mandriva 2008 VS Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

| Well, finally, what can be said? Both distributions have their pros and cons.
| Mandriva has recently consolidated its product lines and offers, allowing
| users afraid to be on their own the reassurance of paid for support while
| leaving a very convincing offer available to free software users, while
| Ubuntu is appearing more and more often pre-installed on consumer computers—
| and version 7.10 should be even easier to pre-install. *
`---- *

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...0_gutsy_gibbon

Why I feel Vista is as bad as Windows ME?

,----[ Quote ]
| This long-time PC user talked about how he felt about Vista and why he
| decided to switch to Apple Leopard.
`----

http://www.moodyclouds.com/2007/11/0...as-windows-me/

Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
| Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
| children around the world with Linux as their first operating
| system.
|
| In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
| probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
| the PC platform.
`----

http://www.otezz.net/windows-vista-t...ened-to-linux/

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit. *
|
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
|
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace. *
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...ns.html?page=3

If you're Steve Ballmer, don't read this

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's hopes now rest with Ray Ozzie, the company's chief software
| architect. But not even the Great White Wizard can turn back the clock.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-973...=2547-1_3-0-20

Open source and Linux looking better every day

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different
| versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download
| an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program?
|
| [...]
|
| Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/14993

Vista Upgrade: Stuck in the Middle of Nowhere

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just another reason (again, that is another post for another
| time) why I am hoping to never upgrade my Windows XP laptop to Vista.
| I am hedging my bets on Linux and Wine improving to where I can
| abandon Windows before XP is no longer supported.
`----

http://www.imarc.net/blog/139/vista_...le_of_nowhere/

Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]