How to properly advocate Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to properly advocate Linux? - Linux ; I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft and Apple(making it ideal to advocate), but yet I am told that there is absolutely no way ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. How to properly advocate Linux?

    I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft and
    Apple(making it ideal to advocate), but yet I am told that there is
    absolutely no way of knowing for sure and that any stats are sure to
    be *way* off. I want to offer improvement ideas for Linux, but it is
    my understanding that Linux ranges from being as good as possible
    right now to perfect, depending on who you talk to. I think some
    changes should be made to how we distribute Linux, but all I see is
    that it would change what Linux is, and "choice is good." How the
    latter pertains to my suggestion, I'll never know. I think apps should
    be concentrated on for improvement, but apparently the apps are great,
    there are thousands of suitable apps to substitute for your Windows
    ones, and they just work. I'm forgetting Microsoft's role in all this.
    They are using their supreme power to keep Linux from being adopted,
    if in fact that all statistical figures are correct (which they aren't
    obviously, but Microsoft is still evil). The Linux apps are great but
    due only to Microsoft's proprietary formats they aren't being accepted
    as much. Microsoft's sole purpose for being is to stem the flow of
    Linux adoption. They bought Novell which was struggling and about to
    be removed from NASDAQ, and they did everything possible to make them
    struggle and about to be removed from NASDAQ. Also, everyone who uses
    Windows is a moron (a minority of people, but still worth mentioning)
    and that is keeping them from switching as well.

    I know there are a lot of Linux advocates in here. I would like to go
    from being a good advocate, to a great one. My question is how do you
    guys advocate an operating system that is so good, so near perfection,
    and already on a majority of desktops (more than likely, web stats,
    experiences are all way off), that is only being held up from 100%
    usage (we think anyway, it may already have cornered the market)
    because of Microsoft. Nothing is wrong with Linux, it's only
    Microsoft's fault and its ignorant users like Stephen Hawking. Please
    help me advocate to Stephen Hawking!

  2. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    Well, for one thing, don't call people who use Windows "morons" or
    "idiots". That will definitely turn them off in an instant, no matter
    how much truth is in your message.

    I would point out the security holes and adware/spyware/malware/
    trojans in Windows, and I would point out that GNU/Linux-based
    operating systems are immune to adware/spyware/malware/trojans.

    I would then point out the Linux counterparts to all the popular
    Windows programs. Such as Amarok and Rhythmbox to iTunes,
    OpenOffice.org to MS Office, GIMP to Photoshop, Evolution to MS
    Outlook, and so on. And I would also point out that some Windows
    programs are actually cross-platform and available on Linux (Firefox,
    Pidgin, GIMP, Thunderbird, etc.).

    Then I'd point out that today's Linuxes (should that be Linuces? lol)
    are very easy to install, and most can be run straight from the CD/DVD
    as a "live CD" so they can give it a test run.

    Finally, I'd point out that there are more games available for Linux
    than the establishment wants you to think. In fact, there are lots of
    first-person "deathmatch" shooters they can play online with others.
    There are also nice free games such as Frozen Bubble and even classic
    console game emulators (such as Atari 2600, NES, SNES, and Sega
    Genesis). And then I'd point out that popular game franchises such as
    Unreal Tournament are being ported to Linux.

    To sum it up, I'd point out that Linux can pretty much do everything
    Windows does, and in some cases Linux does it better (there are some
    things Windows does better than Linux), and most versions of Linux are
    free to download.

    The best thing you could probably do is burn an easy Linux such as
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu to a CD and hand them out for free (much like
    how the 9/11 Truthers do with Alex Jones DVDs......not saying that
    Alex Jones is a fountain of 100% truth, but you get the point). That
    way they can take the CD home and give it a test drive. I'd be sure to
    make copies of the regular desktop installation CD as well as copies
    of the alternate installation CD (for those whose computers aren't
    powerful enough to run the live CD function of the regular desktop
    installation CD).

  3. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:27:10 -0800 (PST), cc
    wrote:

    >I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    Do the exact OPPOSITE of:

    Roy Schestowitz.
    Mark Kent
    William Poaster
    High Plains humper
    [Homer]
    7
    Doug Mental

    ........and you should make a fine Linux advocate.

  4. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    * cc fired off this tart reply:

    > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft and
    > Apple(making it ideal to advocate), but yet I am told that there is
    > absolutely no way of knowing for sure and that any stats are sure to
    > be *way* off.

    Where did you get that idea?

    --
    Tux rox!

  5. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:27:10 -0800, cc wrote:

    > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    You are obviously looking for a proper, commercially supported training
    course.

    The only difficulty with this is that, like fresh air, Linux is free.

    Without it you cannot breathe, and no-one in their right mind is going to
    ask you to pay for fresh air.

    Or are they?

  6. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    Anti-Linux Asstroturfer cc wrote on behalf of big corporation:

    > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft

    Linux is expanding with 1 million users per month and the rate is
    increasing.

    You can download loads of free Linuxes here...
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

    The problem you have is that you have a sock mentality.
    Its very close to that of blogtards who also suffer from
    sock mentality. What the left hand says the right hand doesn't
    know. I mean, it wasn't long ago you were posting remarkable
    anti-linux blog tard material on COLA. And yet here you are
    having forgotten that you are suffering from sockism and blogtardism
    and claiming to want to become a Linux advocate.

    How rich and believable is that?!?

  7. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Dec 8, 2:17 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * cc fired off this tart reply:
    >
    > > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    > > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft and
    > > Apple(making it ideal to advocate), but yet I am told that there is
    > > absolutely no way of knowing for sure and that any stats are sure to
    > > be *way* off.

    > Where did you get that idea?

    Kelsey Bjarnason for one, basically you for two. Others I can't
    remember off the top of my head.

    What, were those things not said? Am I going to have to give you links
    for everything, or can I assume you can work google?

  8. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Dec 8, 2:18 pm, Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:27:10 -0800, cc wrote:
    > > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    > You are obviously looking for a proper, commercially supported training
    > course.

    No, I asked a question.

  9. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, 7 wrote:
    > Anti-Linux Asstroturfer cc wrote on behalf of big corporation:
    >
    > > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    > > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft

    > Linux is expanding with 1 million users per month and the rate is
    > increasing.
    >
    > You can download loads of free Linuxes here...http://www.livecdlist.comhttp://www.distrowatch.com
    >
    > The problem you have is that you have a sock mentality.
    > Its very close to that of blogtards who also suffer from
    > sock mentality. What the left hand says the right hand doesn't
    > know. I mean, it wasn't long ago you were posting remarkable
    > anti-linux blog tard material on COLA. And yet here you are

    What anti-linux material?

    > having forgotten that you are suffering from sockism and blogtardism
    > and claiming to want to become a Linux advocate.

    7 we all know you're the only one (okay, and chrisv) suffering from an
    "ism" around here. Begins with "retard".

  10. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    cc wrote:

    > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    Simple as pie... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5...

    1st... as a Linux advocate... use it exclusively. If you advocate Linux, but
    are seen using windows or somehow infer that you use windows, you will
    loose credibility.

    2nd... get to know the penguin. The more you know about it, the more of an
    effective advocate you will be.

    3rd... generate a few dozen live linux cd's and dvd's and hand them out when
    ever the moment allows. I hand out hundreds a year, each with a business
    card taped to it.

    4th... when asked to support a windows issue, where ever possible, refer
    them to Linux solution.

    5th... never, ever, engage in a "war of the words" with a windows biggot.
    You'll never convince them that there are better alternatives to using
    windows. I just shake their hand and wish them well.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    Anti-Linux asstroturfer cc wrote on behalf of big corporation:

    > On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, 7 wrote:
    >> Anti-Linux Asstroturfer cc wrote on behalf of big corporation:
    >>
    >> > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    >> > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft

    >> Linux is expanding with 1 million users per month and the rate is
    >> increasing.
    >>
    >> You can download loads of free Linuxes
    >> here...http://www.livecdlist.comhttp://www.distrowatch.com
    >>
    >> The problem you have is that you have a sock mentality.
    >> Its very close to that of blogtards who also suffer from
    >> sock mentality. What the left hand says the right hand doesn't
    >> know. I mean, it wasn't long ago you were posting remarkable
    >> anti-linux blog tard material on COLA. And yet here you are

    > What anti-linux material?

    Google is your friend.

    >> having forgotten that you are suffering from sockism and blogtardism
    >> and claiming to want to become a Linux advocate.

    > 7 we all know you're the only one (okay, and chrisv) suffering from an
    > "ism" around here. Begins with "retard".

    Google is your enemy.

  12. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:32:14 -0500, Jerry McBride
    wrote:

    >cc wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    >Simple as pie... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5...
    >
    >1st... as a Linux advocate... use it exclusively. If you advocate Linux, but
    >are seen using windows or somehow infer that you use windows, you will
    >loose credibility.

    Virtually impossible for most people due to their work/school
    enviornment.

    Even Peter Kohlmann and his family have to use Windows.

    >2nd... get to know the penguin. The more you know about it, the more of an
    >effective advocate you will be.

    Aren't penguins gay?
    http://www.emperor-penguin.com/gay-penguins.html

    I'll pass thank you..

    >3rd... generate a few dozen live linux cd's and dvd's and hand them out when
    >ever the moment allows. I hand out hundreds a year, each with a business
    >card taped to it.

    Worthwile.

    >4th... when asked to support a windows issue, where ever possible, refer
    >them to Linux solution.

    Bad idea.
    Saying "you should have used Linux and you wouldn't have these
    problems" is like saying "you shouldn't have bought that new Audi
    because the reviews were terrible".
    People don't like to be made fools of.

    >5th... never, ever, engage in a "war of the words" with a windows biggot.
    >You'll never convince them that there are better alternatives to using
    >windows. I just shake their hand and wish them well.

    The same could be said of a Linux 'biggot', even more so in fact.

  13. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    cc :
    > On Dec 8, 2:17 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * cc fired off this tart reply:
    >>
    >> > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    >> > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft and
    >> > Apple(making it ideal to advocate), but yet I am told that there is
    >> > absolutely no way of knowing for sure and that any stats are sure to
    >> > be *way* off.

    >> Where did you get that idea?

    Y'know, I'm willing to back cc up on this one. It's extremely difficult
    to get good accurate stats for installation bases of OSS. I use a server
    to install Slackware, and have performed several installations from that
    server. I haven't tracked them or anything so I couldn't tell you how
    many, and Pat will only have the one download counted IF he counts them
    all from all the mirrors (doubtful).

    Tracking Linux installs is really hard.

    --
    My world is cold
    and without hope.

    www.websterscafe.com

  14. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    flatfish :
    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:32:14 -0500, Jerry McBride
    > wrote:
    >
    >>cc wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    >>Simple as pie... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5...
    >>
    >>1st... as a Linux advocate... use it exclusively. If you advocate Linux, but
    >>are seen using windows or somehow infer that you use windows, you will
    >>loose credibility.

    > Virtually impossible for most people due to their work/school
    > enviornment.

    But quite easy in a home environment. Then, the work/school environments
    is where one can practice Advocacy. This is "Bottom Up" style, Trying to
    influence C[EI]Os and executives is "Top Down".

    > Aren't penguins gay?
    > http://www.emperor-penguin.com/gay-penguins.html
    >
    > I'll pass thank you..

    OK, that was dumb.

    >>3rd... generate a few dozen live linux cd's and dvd's and hand them out when
    >>ever the moment allows. I hand out hundreds a year, each with a business
    >>card taped to it.

    > Worthwile.
    >
    >>4th... when asked to support a windows issue, where ever possible, refer
    >>them to Linux solution.

    > Bad idea.
    > Saying "you should have used Linux and you wouldn't have these
    > problems" is like saying "you shouldn't have bought that new Audi
    > because the reviews were terrible".
    > People don't like to be made fools of.

    Not a bad idea if approached correctly. When someone says "Dammit! I
    have to pirate the latest version of Office just to keep up with the
    competition" or something similar (it does happen), point the to OO and
    explain the legal advantages. If they're going to steal it, there are no
    financial advantages, so move to where the advatages *are*. Once that's
    done, explain how Firfox will keep them from getting %90 of the malware
    floating around that only attacs IE. From there its not a huge leap to
    saying "When you upgrade your OS, maybe you should think of using Linux.
    Like all your other software, its Open Source..."

    >>5th... never, ever, engage in a "war of the words" with a windows biggot.
    >>You'll never convince them that there are better alternatives to using
    >>windows. I just shake their hand and wish them well.

    > The same could be said of a Linux 'biggot', even more so in fact.

    Heh, the same could be said for any bigot, really, and none more than
    any other. Have you ever met a die hard biker who, with lots of grey in
    the beard, has never owned a car? I'm not going to try to convince him
    that he should get a four wheeled vehicle. He's free to make his choice.
    OSS is all about keeping people free to make choices. If, after all is
    said and done, a person decides that Windows and proprietary software
    will serve him best, then all is well. The choice has been made, and my
    job is done.

    --
    Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste

    www.websterscafe.com

  15. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > cc wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux.

    > Simple as pie... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5...
    >
    > 1st... as a Linux advocate... use it exclusively. If you advocate
    > Linux, but are seen using windows or somehow infer that you use
    > windows, you will loose credibility.

    Well, there goes the 99% of "advocates" who use Windows to make a living, or
    for MS Office, or for other great apps and games.

    Besides, only morons absolutely refuse to use Windows. It shows their
    shallow bias and spiteful close-mindedness and anti-MS hatred.

    > 2nd... get to know the penguin. The more you know about it, the more
    > of an effective advocate you will be.

    AUD_CHAN=`mplayer -vo null -ao null -frames 0 -v dvd://1 2>/dev/null| grep
    "en aid:" | cut -d ":" -f 5 | tr -d ' '`

    > 3rd... generate a few dozen live linux cd's and dvd's and hand them
    > out when ever the moment allows. I hand out hundreds a year, each
    > with a business card taped to it.

    Nutjob!

    > 4th... when asked to support a windows issue, where ever possible,
    > refer them to Linux solution.

    Crysis?

    > 5th... never, ever, engage in a "war of the words" with a windows
    > biggot. You'll never convince them that there are better alternatives
    > to using windows.

    What's to argue about here? There aren't better alternatives to Windows.

    > I just shake their hand and wish them well.

    You run off because you're afraid they'll ask you about using their MS
    Office documents, their new nVidia 8800GTX card, all their games, their
    incredible video editing apps, music production apps, accounting apps, ERP
    apps, language-learning apps, etc.

  16. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    "7" schreef in bericht
    news:ihC6j.59921$c_1.3664@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    > Anti-Linux Asstroturfer cc wrote on behalf of big corporation:
    >
    >> I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    >> like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft

    > Linux is expanding with 1 million users per month and the rate is
    > increasing.

    Sounds great, url please? Google gives zero results!

    > You can download loads of free Linuxes here...
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com
    >
    > The problem you have is that you have a sock mentality.
    > Its very close to that of blogtards who also suffer from
    > sock mentality. What the left hand says the right hand doesn't
    > know. I mean, it wasn't long ago you were posting remarkable
    > anti-linux blog tard material on COLA. And yet here you are
    > having forgotten that you are suffering from sockism and blogtardism
    > and claiming to want to become a Linux advocate.
    >
    > How rich and believable is that?!?

  17. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    >>5th... never, ever, engage in a "war of the words" with a windows biggot.
    >>You'll never convince them that there are better alternatives to using
    >>windows. I just shake their hand and wish them well.

    > The same could be said of a Linux 'biggot', even more so in fact.

    Nope. The "95%" "market share" makes them arrogant and smug as hell.

    --
    Tux rox!

  18. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    * DFS fired off this tart reply:

    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >>
    >> 1st... as a Linux advocate... use it exclusively. If you advocate
    >> Linux, but are seen using windows or somehow infer that you use
    >> windows, you will loose credibility.

    > Well, there goes the 99% of "advocates" who use Windows to make a living, or
    > for MS Office, or for other great apps and games.
    >
    > Besides, only morons absolutely refuse to use Windows. It shows their
    > shallow bias and spiteful close-mindedness and anti-MS hatred.

    No it doesn't, silly man.

    --
    Tux rox!

  19. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    cc wrote:
    > I'm a little unsure about how to properly advocate Linux. It seems
    > like it has a smaller percentage of the desktop than Microsoft and
    > Apple(making it ideal to advocate), but yet I am told that there is
    > absolutely no way of knowing for sure and that any stats are sure to
    > be *way* off. I want to offer improvement ideas for Linux, but it is
    > my understanding that Linux ranges from being as good as possible
    > right now to perfect, depending on who you talk to. I think some
    > changes should be made to how we distribute Linux, but all I see is
    > that it would change what Linux is, and "choice is good." How the
    > latter pertains to my suggestion, I'll never know. I think apps should
    > be concentrated on for improvement, but apparently the apps are great,
    > there are thousands of suitable apps to substitute for your Windows
    > ones, and they just work. I'm forgetting Microsoft's role in all this.
    > They are using their supreme power to keep Linux from being adopted,
    > if in fact that all statistical figures are correct (which they aren't
    > obviously, but Microsoft is still evil). The Linux apps are great but
    > due only to Microsoft's proprietary formats they aren't being accepted
    > as much. Microsoft's sole purpose for being is to stem the flow of
    > Linux adoption. They bought Novell which was struggling and about to
    > be removed from NASDAQ, and they did everything possible to make them
    > struggle and about to be removed from NASDAQ. Also, everyone who uses
    > Windows is a moron (a minority of people, but still worth mentioning)
    > and that is keeping them from switching as well.
    >
    > I know there are a lot of Linux advocates in here. I would like to go
    > from being a good advocate, to a great one. My question is how do you
    > guys advocate an operating system that is so good, so near perfection,
    > and already on a majority of desktops (more than likely, web stats,
    > experiences are all way off), that is only being held up from 100%
    > usage (we think anyway, it may already have cornered the market)
    > because of Microsoft. Nothing is wrong with Linux, it's only
    > Microsoft's fault and its ignorant users like Stephen Hawking. Please
    > help me advocate to Stephen Hawking!

    I can tell you one thing that is certain. If you have the
    tendency to advocate Linux by tearing down the users of other
    systems, you will not have a positive effect on Linux usage. In
    my experience this is a major downfall of Linux advocacy as
    well as Mac advocacy. Some people, often the loudest and
    most frequent "advocates", cannot seem to resist the temptation
    to tear down the alternatives rather than to simply demonstrate
    the positive aspects of Linux and the other OSS that is available
    to run in the Linux environment. For me, Linux as a server OS is
    on par with other OSs like various UNIX® implementations and
    *BSD. As a desktop, Linux provides nice support for X11
    and higher layers of software in a nicely managed (in some
    cases like Ubuntu) package. But, until people can go into a
    store like BestBuy or similar and try and buy a pre-installed
    Linux system, Linux will face challenges on the desktop.
    Linux and other OSS have come a long way since the early 90s.
    I don't think referring to Stephen Hawking as an ignorant user
    will impress anybody enough to make them switch..in fact it is
    much more likely to have the opposite effect. Finally, while
    I can somewhat understand your enthusiasm, neither Linux nor
    any other software, open source or commercial, is anywhere
    close to perfect.

  20. Re: How to properly advocate Linux?

    On Dec 8, 3:49 pm, 7 wrote:
    > Anti-Linux asstroturfer cc wrote on behalf of big corporation:

    > >> Linux is expanding with 1 million users per month and the rate is
    > >> increasing.

    > >> You can download loads of free Linuxes
    > >> here...http://www.livecdlist.comhttp://www.distrowatch.com

    > >> The problem you have is that you have a sock mentality.
    > >> Its very close to that of blogtards who also suffer from
    > >> sock mentality. What the left hand says the right hand doesn't
    > >> know. I mean, it wasn't long ago you were posting remarkable
    > >> anti-linux blog tard material on COLA. And yet here you are

    > > What anti-linux material?

    > Google is your friend.

    Used it, can't find anything. Why don't you help a brother out and
    post a link?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast