Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> I've also just realized that IDG (major press company) is owned by IDC. No
> wonder the press is biased, but we already knew about the Gates Foundation
> buying the press....

For years I also didn't realize the connection between IDG and IDC,
and I've actually done some writing for IDG.

My experience with the big industry analysis firms is that they are
wrong as much as they are right. Their track records are not much
better than guessing, but they can be trusted to bury their mistakes
and only point to their successes to create the illusion that they
are infallible oracles. Their purpose is not really to predict or
even really analyze, but to provide support for the decisions
that business leaders have already made. It allows a CEO to
show 'due diligence' when he goes ahead with that deal he already
made with a handshake on the golf course.

That being said, they do sometimes produce some good research if
you can cut through the whitepaper spin and get access to the actual
data. Of course with firms like Gartner and Forrester you typically
have to pay a few thousand per report, so shlubs like us will have
to settle on flinging the executive summaries around on COLA.

> Dell Won't Preinstall Ubuntu Linux On Small-Business Computers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dell's refusal to sell Ubuntu machines to small businesses makes sense,
> | because those customers typically want PCs that let them get to work right
> | away. "It makes sense because the assumption is they want everything to work
> | right out of the box," Richard Shim, analyst for IDC, said. "With something
> | like Ubuntu, it's going to require some tinkering." * *
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=200000030
>
> And they ended up with an egg in the face. Dell delivers to SMBs now

The above is a good example of how the analysts often get it wrong.
I remember some of the big players getting it waaaaay wrong in
predicting the future of the Internet, email technology, and Linux
on servers, so I take anything they say now with a pound of salt,
even when it reinforces my own perceptions.

Of course maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and the IP stack will be
dead, we will all be running OSI protocols instead with X400/X500
email and directory services (no SMTP), and linux will have been
wiped from server rooms... and I will owe an apology to Gartner.

Thad