A 1000 Mile Linux Upgrade - Linux

This is a discussion on A 1000 Mile Linux Upgrade - Linux ; OK, so I keep noticing some of the nice additions in Ubuntu 7.10 compared to 7.04 (the latest being teamspeak in the apt repository) and think 'I really should upgrade my colo server'. The only problem is that I am ...

  1. A 1000 Mile Linux Upgrade

    OK, so I keep noticing some of the nice additions in Ubuntu 7.10
    compared to 7.04 (the latest being teamspeak in the apt repository)
    and think 'I really should upgrade my colo server'. The only
    problem is that I am here on a consulting gig in Connecticut, and
    the server is more than 1000 miles away in Wisconsin. Normally, I
    would consider it insanity to do a major version upgrade remotely,
    over a cellular modem no less, on a server that is a 16 hour drive
    from here, but I've enough experience with Debian, Ubuntu, and apt
    to feel rather confident about it.

    So throwing caution to the wind, I fire off the appropriate
    commands, click past the warnings about the dangers of upgrading
    over an SSH connection, 'Yes' my way past a few prompts to
    preserve existing configuration files, and off it goes. I am
    told it will take about an hour download updates on a DSL line,
    but the colo is spitting distance from a major backbone drop, so
    it takes about two minutes instead. Installing the packages
    takes longer.

    And so here I am posting from my newly installed 7.10 server.
    Looks like everything is working fine. I was able to install
    TeamSpeak via apt, so at least one reason for upgrading has
    been validated (and now the GF and I can chat without wearing
    out our cell phones).

    Have I mentioned lately that Linux rocks?

    Thad

  2. Re: A 1000 Mile Linux Upgrade

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > And so here I am posting from my newly installed 7.10 server.
    > Looks like everything is working fine. I was able to install
    > TeamSpeak via apt, so at least one reason for upgrading has
    > been validated (and now the GF and I can chat without wearing
    > out our cell phones).
    >
    > Have I mentioned lately that Linux rocks?

    Nah, yah could had a Windows server reboot itself and call ya back when
    it was ready .

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: A 1000 Mile Linux Upgrade

    ____/ Linonut on Saturday 08 December 2007 12:51 : \____

    > * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> And so here I am posting from my newly installed 7.10 server.
    >> Looks like everything is working fine. I was able to install
    >> TeamSpeak via apt, so at least one reason for upgrading has
    >> been validated (and now the GF and I can chat without wearing
    >> out our cell phones).
    >>
    >> Have I mentioned lately that Linux rocks?

    > Nah, yah could had a Windows server reboot itself and call ya back when
    > it was ready .

    I'm not sure if/how that would work, but with GNU/Linux you can reboot remotely
    (e.g. sudo reboot) and the SSH server/daemon will be resurrected upon booting,
    in which can you can reconnect within seconds and carry on the work (GUI and
    all with X forwarding also).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999