[News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone) - Linux ; Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse Tracker ,----[ Quote ] | The manual's appendix and online support site provide setup instructions for | SAMBA, allowing access over IP instead of with the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse
    Tracker

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The manual's appendix and online support site provide setup instructions for
    | SAMBA, allowing access over IP instead of with the DRM-infested and
    | poorly-reviewed client app, elsewhere claimed to be "required."
    |
    | MOAR! Samba not enough? Gut the firmware and install made-to-measure Linux:
    | An entire community of folks is here to help you hack your MyBook:
    | mybookworld.wikidot.com.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/1...n-digital.html

    ....Just like Vista and its DRM madness. Another reason to run away to Linux, if
    they let you (avoid Seagate).

    Seagate snubs Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As our reader points out this is a, "fairly **** idea perfectly
    | implemented, " unfortunately while Windows can handle it, Linux and Mac's
    | can't cope.
    |
    | There are a few work-arounds but Seagate Tech Support says they do not know
    | what they are. Instead they are telling man plus dog that their latest drives
    | do not support Linux.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...te-snubs-linux

    Another new example:

    German Supreme Court rejects copyright fee for printers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Printer manufacturer Hewlett-Packard has announced that the German Supreme
    | Court ruled in a hearing that the firm will not have to pay a flat fee to
    | German copyright collective VG Wort to cover copyrights.
    `----

    ....Not just CDs, tapes and USB drives anymore. Maybe they should also treat
    everyone as a criminal (until proven otherwise), just like "TV Licence"...
    ormaybe they should ban everything that /could/ be used as a weapon. Didn't
    they make Fedora barely legal in Russia because there's no 'receipt'/printed
    licence?

    Related:

    Overly-broad copyright law has made USA a "nation of infringers"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tehranian's paper points out just how pervasive copyright has become in our
    | lives. Simply checking one's e-mail and including the full text in response
    | could be a violation of copyright. ¬*
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...nfringers.html

    Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
    | Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
    | and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
    | son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/g...sic-dmca-abuse

    The RIAA will come to regret its court win

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
    | strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
    | the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
    | Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
    | outmoded. And do it soon."
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10..._riaa_comment/

    Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

    http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/0...oft-apple-drm/

    Microsoft launches 'PlayReady' DRM system

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although digital rights management (DRM) is popular with content
    | creators, it has attracted criticism. Sony was widely attacked after
    | using a rootkit-like application to hide content protection on some
    | music CDs, and earlier this month Apple CEO Steve Jobs called on
    | the music industry to drop its use of DRM.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6158...0-20&subj=news

    Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
    | Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
    | every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
    | they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
    | option enabled for critical updates.
    `----

    http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

    The Longest Suicide Note in History

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
    | been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
    | the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
    | DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
    | another reason to move to Linux.
    `---- ¬* ¬* ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/t...ote_in_hi.html

    DRM in Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want.
    | These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure.
    | They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will
    | cause technical support problems. They may even require you to
    | upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software.
    | And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're
    | working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM)
    | features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment
    | industry.
    |
    | And you don't get to refuse them.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...n_windows.html

  2. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:06:23 +0100, Hadron
    wrote:

    >Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse
    >> Tracker
    >>

    >Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    >creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >
    >You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    Exactly...

    These Linux kooks, like Roy and Mark, are just making Linux look silly
    by advocating what amounts to theft.

  3. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Hadron wrote:

    > Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    > creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >
    > You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    While I agree with the sentiment, I've yet to see a DRM scheme that
    did anything more than inconvenience the user while do almost nothing
    to protect copyrights. A prime example: I bought some audio books on
    I tunes for my trip to Connecticut. Wanted to translate them to MP3
    to play on my portable on the way out, but of course Apple doesn't
    allow that. I had to jump through major hoops to get them into a
    format that was useful. I suppose Apple would like for me to buy an
    iPod to simplify things, but I'm more inclined to just not buy stuff
    from iTunes anymore.

    DRM is just a bad business idea.

    Thad

  4. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 21:46:00 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com
    wrote:

    >Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    >> creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >>
    >> You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    >While I agree with the sentiment, I've yet to see a DRM scheme that
    >did anything more than inconvenience the user while do almost nothing
    >to protect copyrights. A prime example: I bought some audio books on
    >I tunes for my trip to Connecticut. Wanted to translate them to MP3
    >to play on my portable on the way out, but of course Apple doesn't
    >allow that. I had to jump through major hoops to get them into a
    >format that was useful. I suppose Apple would like for me to buy an
    >iPod to simplify things, but I'm more inclined to just not buy stuff
    >from iTunes anymore.
    >
    >DRM is just a bad business idea.
    >
    >Thad

    I agree with you Thad.
    DRM, copy protection etc just hurts the honest user and to date has
    been proven to not stop piracy.

    IMHO the solution is to offer fair prices for the products and people
    will flock them.

    Look at The Eagles latest album "Long Road Out Of Eden" which
    supposedly cost 5 million dollars to produce. An insane amount BTW.

    It's $11.98 at Walmart and they can't keep it on the shelves, partly
    because it is an excellent album and also because the cost is
    reasonable.

    Same thing for Barry Manilow's Xmas album which is $7.99 at Hallmark.
    They can't keep the thing in stock because the price is good.

    Now compare this to some C_rap CD that cost $18.99 and has maybe one
    decent tune on it.

    And the RIAA wonders why kids are pirating music?
    It's the COST and the LACK OF TALENT in today's music.
    Plain and simple.
    Of course the RIAA will never admit that.

    The same thing goes for software.
    Microsoft could easily eliminate MOST piracy by offering Vista for
    $49.99 and allowing up to 5 home computers to use the single copy.

    But they won't.

  5. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Micoshaft Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or
    >> Impulse Tracker
    >>

    > Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    > creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >
    > You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    No it isn't you idiot!

    YOUR computer must do whatever you tell it to do.
    Particularly if you ask it to share files.
    It, and Western Digital$ has no rights to call
    you a pirate and block your content.

    I would thoroughly not recommend any one from ever buying any more
    Western Digital$ hard drives and buy seagate or something.

  6. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    ____/ 7 on Saturday 08 December 2007 06:20 : \____

    > Micoshaft Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >>> Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or
    >>> Impulse Tracker
    >>>

    >> Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    >> creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >>
    >> You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access their music
    remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft".

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
    Tasks: 111 total, 1 running, 110 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 08:57:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >____/ 7 on Saturday 08 December 2007 06:20 : \____
    >
    >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    >>> creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >>>
    >>> You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    >That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access their music
    >remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft".
    >
    >> No it isn't you idiot!
    >>
    >> YOUR computer must do whatever you tell it to do.
    >> Particularly if you ask it to share files.
    >> It, and Western Digital$ has no rights to call
    >> you a pirate and block your content.
    >>
    >> I would thoroughly not recommend any one from ever buying any more
    >> Western Digital$ hard drives and buy seagate or something.

    I can access my music remotely.
    Why can't you, Roy Schestowitz?

    Oh I see you are using Linux, too bad for you.

    So when does the boycott WD site go up?

    I'll bet your emailing Seagate, Maxtor and Hitachi right now asking
    for financial support for the site.

    And just to show you I don't categorically disagree with you just
    because you are you, Western Digital drives suck, big time.
    They are totally and completely unreliable and collecting on their
    warranty is not easy unless your drive was installed by some $6.00/hr
    parts swapping retailer.

    So I *do* agree with you Roy, don't buy WD drives.
    You can just add DRM to the list of why I'll never buy another one.

  8. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ 7 on Saturday 08 December 2007 06:20 : \____
    >
    >> Micoshaft Asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation:

    >>> Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    >>> creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >>>
    >>> You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    > That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access their
    > music remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft".

    Oh, Hadron has read the magic word "sharing"

    That can *only* mean that users of that device will hang it directly to the
    internet.

    It certainly can't mean that they put legal content on it. No, not possible.
    *Every* Mpeg file will be illegal, without any doubt. DivX can't be legal
    ever. AVI files will never be aquired from Camcorders. If you record your
    little daughter on your own camcorder in your own house, it *only* can mean
    that you are robbing the RIAA and the MPAA of their hard earned income

    Well, that's Hadron Quark to a tee
    --
    Like being presumed a thief and a liar before using a product?
    If so, use M$ XP or Vista

  9. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 08:57:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>____/ 7 on Saturday 08 December 2007 06:20 : \____

    >>That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access their
    >>music remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft".
    >>
    >>> No it isn't you idiot!
    >>>
    >>> YOUR computer must do whatever you tell it to do.
    >>> Particularly if you ask it to share files.
    >>> It, and Western Digital$ has no rights to call
    >>> you a pirate and block your content.
    >>>
    >>> I would thoroughly not recommend any one from ever buying any more
    >>> Western Digital$ hard drives and buy seagate or something.

    > I can access my music remotely.
    > Why can't you, Roy Schestowitz?

    He did not say he can't, flattest brain

    > Oh I see you are using Linux, too bad for you.

    Does not enter into the equation

    < snip more flatfish drivel >
    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  10. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Hadron did eloquently scribble:
    > Roy Schestowitz writes:

    >> Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse
    >> Tracker
    >>

    > Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    > creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.

    MOSTLY

    > You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    Buy something you got given freely by the owner just for the privilige of
    moving it about a little bit? **** off.

    DRM is guilty until proven innocent.
    There are hundreds of reasons people might want to copy legitimate MP3s,
    divx, xvid, mp4, etc.

    Home movies... Sorry, you're infringing on your own copyright so we can't
    allow you to do that anymore.

    > It is illegal to "share" on Linux as it is elsewhere.

    No, it is as LEGAL to share on linux as elsewhere.
    Not all files are copyright infringements.
    A lot are but the exceptions make this kinda thing totally unacceptable.

    Like talk of banning bittorrent because the bulk of its traffic is tv and
    film copyright infringement. If it has a legit use, which bittorrent does,
    it's wrong to attempt a ban.

  11. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:24:39 +0100, Peter KŲhlmann
    wrote:

    >flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 08:57:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>____/ 7 on Saturday 08 December 2007 06:20 : \____

    >>>That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access their
    >>>music remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft".

    >> I can access my music remotely.
    >> Why can't you, Roy Schestowitz?

    >He did not say he can't, flattest brain
    >
    >> Oh I see you are using Linux, too bad for you.

    >Does not enter into the equation
    >
    >< snip more flatfish drivel >

    **************************************

    Roy.....Says.......

    "That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access
    their music remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft"."

    Read into every word you wish, but don't forget the point.

  12. Re: Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On 8 Dec, 04:24, flatfish wrote:

    [...]
    > Look at The Eagles latest album "Long Road Out Of Eden" which
    > supposedly cost 5 million dollars to produce. An insane amount BTW.
    >
    > It's $11.98 at Walmart and they can't keep it on the shelves, partly
    > because it is an excellent album and also because the cost is
    > reasonable.
    >
    > Same thing for Barry Manilow's Xmas album which is $7.99 at Hallmark.
    > They can't keep the thing in stock because the price is good.

    [...]

    I hope you're kidding here. But I fear you're not.

    Manilow? Sheesh!

    As for the Eagles... I wish they'd just fly away.

  13. Re: Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    dapunka writes:

    > On 8 Dec, 04:24, flatfish wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> Look at The Eagles latest album "Long Road Out Of Eden" which
    >> supposedly cost 5 million dollars to produce. An insane amount BTW.
    >>
    >> It's $11.98 at Walmart and they can't keep it on the shelves, partly
    >> because it is an excellent album and also because the cost is
    >> reasonable.
    >>
    >> Same thing for Barry Manilow's Xmas album which is $7.99 at Hallmark.
    >> They can't keep the thing in stock because the price is good.

    > [...]
    >
    > I hope you're kidding here. But I fear you're not.
    >
    > Manilow? Sheesh!
    >
    > As for the Eagles... I wish they'd just fly away.

    Typical COLA head. Totally unable to accept that others have a different
    view. The facts ARE that these things sell well. No one asked YOU to
    enjoy them. It's why COLA types design such bad SW as a rule - they do
    it for themselves (hey, it's free!) as opposed to looking at the bigger
    picture and the needs of Joe Public.

  14. Re: Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 02:37:23 -0800 (PST), dapunka
    wrote:

    >On 8 Dec, 04:24, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >[...]
    >> Look at The Eagles latest album "Long Road Out Of Eden" which
    >> supposedly cost 5 million dollars to produce. An insane amount BTW.
    >>
    >> It's $11.98 at Walmart and they can't keep it on the shelves, partly
    >> because it is an excellent album and also because the cost is
    >> reasonable.
    >>
    >> Same thing for Barry Manilow's Xmas album which is $7.99 at Hallmark.
    >> They can't keep the thing in stock because the price is good.

    >[...]
    >
    >I hope you're kidding here. But I fear you're not.
    >
    >Manilow? Sheesh!
    >
    >As for the Eagles... I wish they'd just fly away.

    Manilow....Price (personally I think he sucks as a singer, but is a
    good arranger.).
    Eagles....they ain't going anywhere. One of the best bands ever.
    Compare them to the **** being produced today.
    Amy Winehouse?
    Sum41? (I use this to set my VU meters, pure noise).
    Missy Misdameanor ? (should be locked up where she belongs).

    Just about anything C_rap music.

    Most of the current music sucks which is why CD sales are in the tank.
    Just looking at the Grammy nominations is enough to make one ill.

    Winehouse? Not even listenable and a total drug addict.
    She'll be dead in 5 years.. No loss.
    Beyonce' ? Horrid....not bad in Dream Girls though.
    Foo Fighters? Who???
    Carrie Underwood and Kayne West are pretty good.

    Most of these people just plain suck....
    Without AutoTune (look it up) and a slew of help from the engineer,
    they would totally suck.

  15. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse
    > Tracker

    [snip]

    Excuse me Western Digital: Impusle Tracker is a free (and very well
    documented) file format, used by amateur Tracker Musicians. Almost all
    Impulse Tracker files are ether public domain or are published under a
    Creative Commons License.

    For more information on Impulse Tracker see:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_Tracker

    More information on Creative Commons:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_commons

    A free cross platform Tracker Editor that supports the Impulse Tracker
    format is Milky Tracker:

    http://www.milkytracker.net/

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  16. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software BlocksSo-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:06:23 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or
    >> Impulse Tracker
    >>

    > Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    > creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.

    You might want to tell that to vendors that are distributing through
    torrents.

    > You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    And again, you will be telling vendors they are not allowed to distribute
    through torrents.

    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The manual's appendix and online support site provide setup
    >> instructions for | SAMBA, allowing access over IP instead of with the
    >> DRM-infested and | poorly-reviewed client app, elsewhere claimed to be
    >> "required." |
    >> | MOAR! Samba not enough? Gut the firmware and install made-to-measure
    >> Linux: | An entire community of folks is here to help you hack your
    >> MyBook: | mybookworld.wikidot.com.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/1...n-digital.html
    >>
    >> ...Just like Vista and its DRM madness. Another reason to run away to
    >> Linux, if they let you (avoid Seagate).

    > It is illegal to "share" on Linux as it is elsewhere.

    No, it isn't. "Sharing" isn't illegal anywhere.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software BlocksSo-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 21:43:35 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 02:06:23 +0100, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >>> Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or
    >>> Impulse Tracker
    >>>

    >>Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and video
    >>creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.
    >>
    >>You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    > Exactly...
    >
    > These Linux kooks, like Roy and Mark, are just making Linux look silly
    > by advocating what amounts to theft.

    He didn't advocate anything that amounts to theft.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On 2007-12-08, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com wrote:
    > While I agree with the sentiment, I've yet to see a DRM scheme that
    > did anything more than inconvenience the user while do almost nothing
    > to protect copyrights. A prime example: I bought some audio books on
    > I tunes for my trip to Connecticut. Wanted to translate them to MP3
    > to play on my portable on the way out, but of course Apple doesn't
    > allow that. I had to jump through major hoops to get them into a
    > format that was useful. I suppose Apple would like for me to buy an
    > iPod to simplify things, but I'm more inclined to just not buy stuff
    > from iTunes anymore.

    What format were they in? I've not bought any audio books through
    Apple, but from what I've read, most of their audio books actually come
    from audible.com (there are some exclusives that Apple has that
    audible.com does not have), and I've bought many from there. Those are
    in audible's own format, which iPods, iTunes, and a variety of other
    music players can play. Also, some phones and car GPS units can play
    them.

    You might check--you might actually already have something that can play
    them that you didn't know about!

    If Apple's audible.com books are in a different format from those same
    books when purchased from audible.com, I'd suggest buying direct from
    audible.com. You'll still have DRM, but a very large list of devices
    support it.

  19. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software BlocksSo-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 04:56:02 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:24:39 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    >>flatfish wrote:

    >>> I can access my music remotely.
    >>> Why can't you, Roy Schestowitz?

    >>He did not say he can't, flattest brain
    >>
    >>> Oh I see you are using Linux, too bad for you.

    >>Does not enter into the equation
    >>
    >>< snip more flatfish drivel >

    > **************************************
    >
    > Roy.....Says.......
    >
    > "That says a lot about you, 'Hadron'. When people wish to access
    > their music remotely, for example, then you consider that "theft"."

    > Read into every word you wish, but don't forget the point.

    The point is your dishonesty. He did not say, even according to your
    quote, that he can't access his music.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Rick wrote:

    > He didn't advocate anything that amounts to theft.

    I actually am a little troubled by the use of terms like 'piracy' and
    'theft' when we talk about copyright infringement. In this case, you
    are not actually denying someone else their property, at most you
    are denying a 'potential' sale. I'm not saying its OK to do that,
    just that we don't need to create an artificial moral equivalence
    with armed thugs. When we hand out harsher punishments for copying
    files than we do for armed robbery, something is seriously wrong in
    our society.

    Because lets be honest here, 'Intellectual Property' is an artificial
    construct of our society. It exists only because we all agree that
    it does. We, as a society, can decide to radically change it and
    society could still function. If the record labels disappeared and
    musicians had to make more of their living from merchandising and
    touring, well, somehow I think the crops would still get planted and
    the world would keep spinning.

    Thad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast