[News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone) - Linux ; Tim Smith wrote: > > What format were they in? I've not bought any audio books through > Apple, but from what I've read, most of their audio books actually come > from audible.com (there are some exclusives that Apple ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

  1. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > What format were they in? I've not bought any audio books through
    > Apple, but from what I've read, most of their audio books actually come
    > from audible.com (there are some exclusives that Apple has that
    > audible.com does not have), and I've bought many from there. Those are
    > in audible's own format, which iPods, iTunes, and a variety of other
    > music players can play. Also, some phones and car GPS units can play
    > them.

    I think it was in m4p format. I know that when I clicked on the option
    to translate to another format, I was told it couldn't be done on
    'protected' content.

    > You might check--you might actually already have something that can play
    > them that you didn't know about!

    I found a utility from the maker of DeCSS that could supposedly link
    to your iTunes account, use your unique key to decode the m4p, and
    translate to mp3. It looked like a PITA to get working, so I just
    stream ripped the audio out from my Mac and saved it to mp3 for
    listening in the car.

    > If Apple's audible.com books are in a different format from those same
    > books when purchased from audible.com, I'd suggest buying direct from
    > audible.com. You'll still have DRM, but a very large list of devices
    > support it.

    That might be a better option, especially if their DRM is more easily
    digested by Linux. So far, stuff from iTunes is the only content I've
    had any trouble with on my Ubuntu system.

    Thad

  2. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    > Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> He didn't advocate anything that amounts to theft.

    > I actually am a little troubled by the use of terms like 'piracy' and
    > 'theft' when we talk about copyright infringement. In this case, you
    > are not actually denying someone else their property, at most you
    > are denying a 'potential' sale. I'm not saying its OK to do that,
    > just that we don't need to create an artificial moral equivalence
    > with armed thugs. When we hand out harsher punishments for copying
    > files than we do for armed robbery, something is seriously wrong in
    > our society.

    I think MP3 stealers should be hung, or drawn and quartered, or
    electrocuted, just as if they had boarded a ship, killed people,
    and taken the loot.

    > Because lets be honest here, 'Intellectual Property' is an artificial
    > construct of our society. It exists only because we all agree that
    > it does. We, as a society, can decide to radically change it and
    > society could still function. If the record labels disappeared and
    > musicians had to make more of their living from merchandising and
    > touring, well, somehow I think the crops would still get planted and
    > the world would keep spinning.

    The "record labels" are, like most other entertainment media, artificial
    concentrations of marketing power that serve primarily to feed the egos
    and coffers of a few egomaniacs.

    --
    Tux rox!

  3. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    * thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com fired off this tart reply:

    >> If Apple's audible.com books are in a different format from those same
    >> books when purchased from audible.com, I'd suggest buying direct from
    >> audible.com. You'll still have DRM, but a very large list of devices
    >> support it.

    > That might be a better option, especially if their DRM is more easily
    > digested by Linux. So far, stuff from iTunes is the only content I've
    > had any trouble with on my Ubuntu system.

    Tried any DRM'ed WMA files?

    --
    Tux rox!

  4. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Linonut wrote:

    > Tried any DRM'ed WMA files?

    No, not yet. My inclination is to avoid DRM'ed content all together,
    but sometimes even a 'protected' download is more convenient than
    slogging out to the brick-n-mortar store with no guarantee of finding
    what you want. Still, I would be buying a LOT more music on-line if
    they were not making it so inconvenient to play where I actually
    want to listen to it.

    Thad

  5. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:35:34 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >I think MP3 stealers should be hung, or drawn and quartered, or
    >electrocuted, just as if they had boarded a ship, killed people,
    >and taken the loot.

    Let's save that for O.J Simpson.

    >The "record labels" are, like most other entertainment media, artificial
    >concentrations of marketing power that serve primarily to feed the egos
    >and coffers of a few egomaniacs.

    True, but the distributers are the ones making the most $$$$ of a
    typical CD sale. Unless something has changed since the last time I
    looked.

  6. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:57:41 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com
    wrote:

    >Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Tried any DRM'ed WMA files?

    >No, not yet. My inclination is to avoid DRM'ed content all together,
    >but sometimes even a 'protected' download is more convenient than
    >slogging out to the brick-n-mortar store with no guarantee of finding
    >what you want. Still, I would be buying a LOT more music on-line if
    >they were not making it so inconvenient to play where I actually
    >want to listen to it.
    >
    >Thad

    DRM is ultimately going to die.
    As soon as the no talents like Madonna, and that glam' band I can't
    think of the name of, stop the media blitz claiming they are starving
    due to piracy it will slowly die out.

    There is a huge movement in the industry to support independent
    artists, go out to the smaller venues and purchase their CD's etc.
    RadioHead is an example.

    People are finally starting to wake up and realize that some no talent
    showing off a collection of Ferraris on the MTV show Cribs is not
    worth wasting $18.99 per CD on.

    The record companies and copyright whores like Harry Fox Agency are
    getting nervous and with good reason.
    The days of albums with 10 hit cuts like Carole King's Tapestry, or
    Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic are long gone.

    Sell CDs for $9.99 and piracy will become far less of an issue and in
    addition the current generation will discover that CD's sound a hell
    of a lot better than some mp3 being played on white ear buds.

  7. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:39:29 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:35:34 -0500, Linonut
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I think MP3 stealers should be hung, or drawn and quartered, or
    >>electrocuted, just as if they had boarded a ship, killed people,
    >>and taken the loot.

    > Let's save that for O.J Simpson.
    >
    >>The "record labels" are, like most other entertainment media, artificial
    >>concentrations of marketing power that serve primarily to feed the egos
    >>and coffers of a few egomaniacs.

    > True, but the distributers are the ones making the most $$$$ of a
    > typical CD sale. Unless something has changed since the last time I
    > looked.

    Considering what a CD costs physically to produce, the price of most of
    them is daylight robbery, IMO. No wonder sdales are dropping. For me, a
    reasonalbe price is ten quid or so (a little more for a double album,
    say). I would buy many more than I do now if they weren't so expensive,
    particularly new bands.

    --
    Kier

  8. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:49:22 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:57:41 -0600, thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Tried any DRM'ed WMA files?

    >>No, not yet. My inclination is to avoid DRM'ed content all together,
    >>but sometimes even a 'protected' download is more convenient than
    >>slogging out to the brick-n-mortar store with no guarantee of finding
    >>what you want. Still, I would be buying a LOT more music on-line if
    >>they were not making it so inconvenient to play where I actually
    >>want to listen to it.
    >>
    >>Thad

    > DRM is ultimately going to die.

    Agreed. The buying public won't put up with it much longer.

    > As soon as the no talents like Madonna, and that glam' band I can't
    > think of the name of, stop the media blitz claiming they are starving
    > due to piracy it will slowly die out.

    There are plenty of good new bands out there (though these days I don't
    get the time to listen to them as I once did, sadly). They will grasp the
    new opportunities offered by modern technology.

    > There is a huge movement in the industry to support independent
    > artists, go out to the smaller venues and purchase their CD's etc.
    > RadioHead is an example.

    A small local band in my area got into the charts solely though a
    self-produced download single not so long ago.

    > People are finally starting to wake up and realize that some no talent
    > showing off a collection of Ferraris on the MTV show Cribs is not
    > worth wasting $18.99 per CD on.

    True.

    > The record companies and copyright whores like Harry Fox Agency are
    > getting nervous and with good reason.
    > The days of albums with 10 hit cuts like Carole King's Tapestry, or
    > Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic are long gone.

    Aaahhh, that was record and a half, that one! I went on from that kind of
    rock to heavy metal and industrial, but I still have a fondness for good
    old stompin' rawk. My brother loved Aerosmith and Led Zep and Deep Purple
    and all those bands, and it was a case of get with it or go bonkers from
    the row he and his pals made playing the records when we were teenagers.

    > Sell CDs for $9.99 and piracy will become far less of an issue and in
    > addition the current generation will discover that CD's sound a hell
    > of a lot better than some mp3 being played on white ear buds.

    Here, here. Though my hearing is somewhat shot these days, so it makes
    less difference to me, I must admit. Too many Saturday nights listening to
    club music on a crappy sound system at horrendous volume.

    Given that storage and bandwidwth is becoming less and less expensive, it
    may be that music will not be forced into compressed formats much longer.

    --
    Kier

  9. Re: Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On 2007-12-08, dapunka claimed:
    > On 8 Dec, 04:24, flatfish wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> Look at The Eagles latest album "Long Road Out Of Eden" which
    >> supposedly cost 5 million dollars to produce. An insane amount BTW.
    >>
    >> It's $11.98 at Walmart and they can't keep it on the shelves, partly
    >> because it is an excellent album and also because the cost is
    >> reasonable.
    >>
    >> Same thing for Barry Manilow's Xmas album which is $7.99 at Hallmark.
    >> They can't keep the thing in stock because the price is good.

    > [...]
    >
    > I hope you're kidding here. But I fear you're not.
    >
    > Manilow? Sheesh!

    Manilow would need to *have* some on the shelves to keep them there.
    Any that _used_ to be there are probably already in the discount bins,
    or they're getting sold out of miscellaneous boxes in the thrift
    stores.

    > As for the Eagles... I wish they'd just fly away.

    If they weren't keeping the old hippies happy with remakes of remakes,
    and new stuff that sounds like remakes of remakes, the old hippies
    would still be selling their beads, hash pipes and love oils to the
    tune of Peaceful Easy Feelin'. Or something that sounds just like it.

    --
    Many are educated. Few are learned.

  10. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    flatfish wrote:

    > DRM is ultimately going to die.
    > As soon as the no talents like Madonna, and that glam' band I can't
    > think of the name of, stop the media blitz claiming they are starving
    > due to piracy it will slowly die out.

    I sure hope you are right. The market pressure is certainly in
    that direction. Any tech so customer hostile has inevitably died.

    > There is a huge movement in the industry to support independent
    > artists, go out to the smaller venues and purchase their Ad's etc.
    > RadioHead is an example.

    I mostly listen to local and indy bands, not as some sort of social
    statement, I just prefer it. One of my favorite bands (Beatallica)
    doesn't even sell their music; it is all available as free downloads,
    cover art included. They make a decent living from selling
    merchandise and touring. They roam around the midwest quite a
    bit and have done several European tours.

    I always book a band or two for my yearly Halloween bash. This
    last Halloween was the first year in a long time that I didn't
    throw a party (work schedule didn't allow it). I plan to make
    up for it a bit with a Holiday party the last weekend of December.
    The emails go out this weekend to line up the bands. I'll admit,
    it is my favorite way to listen to music... live and in my own
    house.

    Thad

  11. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Kier wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 23:34:06 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    < snip >

    >> I simply refuse to even look at the CD to see
    >> if it might be copy-protected (or not). I take the same approach as with
    >> Erik Funkenbusch: In his case I assume he is lying (and most of the time
    >> I would be right). In the records case I assume they are copy-protected.

    > From what I've seen, more aren't protected than are. But that is
    > completely subjective.

    Oh, most are not protected. The point is: I simply refuse to even look *if*
    they are or not.
    If the industry can't get their act to put in giant red ink some sticker on
    a CD saying "don't buy me, I have DRM on it" I simply don't think it is
    worth *my* time to check if it is or not

    >> And bothering to actually check just isn't worth it

    > If I know a band is into copy-protection, I do avoid them, reluctantly.
    > Not much use in having a portable media device if you can't play stuff on
    > it.

    It is much better if all musicians learned the hard way (no income, no CDs
    sold, no fame) that the DRM way is the wrong one
    For example: My son likes Metallica. But Metallica is one of those bands
    unworthy to even piss on if they were on fire for their stance on DRM.

    I have explained to him why I will never buy (for him, naturally) any CD
    from Metallica, he has to buy it himself, from his monthly allowance.
    He understands (in cash, even) why DRM is bad for him
    --
    Howe's Law: Everyone has a scheme that will not work.

  12. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:01:07 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:39:29 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:35:34 -0500, Linonut
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I think MP3 stealers should be hung, or drawn and quartered, or
    >>>electrocuted, just as if they had boarded a ship, killed people,
    >>>and taken the loot.

    >> Let's save that for O.J Simpson.
    >>
    >>>The "record labels" are, like most other entertainment media, artificial
    >>>concentrations of marketing power that serve primarily to feed the egos
    >>>and coffers of a few egomaniacs.

    >> True, but the distributers are the ones making the most $$$$ of a
    >> typical CD sale. Unless something has changed since the last time I
    >> looked.

    >Considering what a CD costs physically to produce, the price of most of
    >them is daylight robbery, IMO. No wonder sdales are dropping. For me, a
    >reasonalbe price is ten quid or so (a little more for a double album,
    >say). I would buy many more than I do now if they weren't so expensive,
    >particularly new bands.

    Absolutely and look at the so called *artists* making them????
    Is this crap really worth $18.99 ?
    The RIAA needs a wake up call and you'll be hard pressed to find
    ANYONE in the industry that is an industry icon to disagree.

    A CD cost less than an LP to manufacture.
    Think oil, which is a big part of vinyl.
    Recording studio time has not gone up that much since the 70's, mostly
    because of competition (IOW everybody has project studio these days)
    that they didn't have back in the 70's.

  13. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 23:24:06 +0000, Kier wrote:

    >> And only an idiot would put an original CD into a car in summer-time.
    >> Apart from the fact that you can't hear it at home, in the car and on the
    >> boat at the same time. So why should one be forced to buy it more than
    >> once, even *if* it would work on a car-stereo in the first place?

    >No good reason, that I can think of.

    They'd like to do it like the movie industry and make you buy a copy
    for every place you'd like to play it.

    I won't buy blue-ray or hd-dvd until either the encryption is broken, or
    they provide an opensourced method of playback everywhere I have a player.

  14. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Kier wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:38:02 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    < snip >

    >> I have explained to him why I will never buy (for him, naturally) any CD
    >> from Metallica, he has to buy it himself, from his monthly allowance. He
    >> understands (in cash, even) why DRM is bad for him

    > Makes sense. I do like the band, myself, but the DRM thing makes them less
    > desirable, which is a pity.

    It is not that I don't like their music. They have done several tracks I
    like to listen to, like "Nothing else matters" for example

    But their playing hardball with DRM simply puts me off enough not to buy
    their stuff
    --
    I doubt, therefore I might be.

  15. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Verily I say unto thee, that thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com spake thusly:
    > Hadron wrote:

    >> Roy, when will you stop advocating theft of people's music and
    >> video creations. "Sharing" is mostly illegal.

    Idiot.

    "Sharing" my /own/ files over my /own/ network ... to a total of /one/
    person (me) is "illegal"? Well according to WD it is.

    Sharing a self-made podcast, or a wedding video, is "illegal", is it?

    How about seeding the torrent of a GNU/Linux distro, is that "illegal" too?

    It's coconuts like you tarring /all/ sharing activity with the same
    brush, that's created the martial-law environment of self-appointed
    industry police that we must all now endure, whilst they and their
    lackeys play vigilante with /our/ personal data.

    Well **** the MP/RIAA, **** Western Digital, and **** you.

    >> You want it? Buy it. Simple.

    And how often should I be expected to pay the same license fee for the
    same content, exactly? DRM does *not* prevent copyright infringement,
    and it does *not* punish copyright violators ... it only punishes those
    who legitimately purchase copyrighted material tainted by DRM, who then
    try to use that same content on multiple devices, e.g. DAPs and media
    servers, like I do. DRM only punishes those who play by the rules. It's
    almost as ridiculous and perverted as you are.

    I suppose those baseball fans who were summarily denied access to their
    /legally/ purchased content, are "criminals" too, are they?:

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...with-fans.html

    Hadron, you have the brain of a fossilised pickled walnut, and the moral
    integrity of Dr. Mengele. If you're not advocating the destruction of a
    *charity* for the sake of what you call "competition", you're denouncing
    everyone with media files and a network connection as a "pirate". How
    you can even have the audacity to breath and feed oxygen to what's left
    of your withered brain, is a mystery, but the fact that you dare to
    commit your lunatic vitriol into the public domain of this newsgroup,
    defies even the most basic reasoning.

    > I'm more inclined to just not buy stuff from iTunes anymore.

    Well at least Apple had the sense to provide DRM-free content ...
    eventually.

    > DRM is just a bad business idea.

    Actually DRM is *great* for business, if one's business is ripping-off
    consumers. Not so great for the victims though.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
    | Layer' when they go through our landfill sites." - Siân Berry,
    | Green Party. http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851
    `----

    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.9-91.fc7

  16. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    So anyway, it was like, 09:44 CET Dec 11 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    [H]omer was all like, "Dude,

    > Hadron, you have the brain of a fossilised pickled walnut, and
    > the moral integrity of Dr. Mengele. If you're not advocating
    > the destruction of a *charity* for the sake of what you call
    > "competition", you're denouncing everyone with media files and a
    > network connection as a "pirate". How you can even have the audacity
    > to breath and feed oxygen to what's left of your withered brain, is
    > a mystery, but the fact that you dare to commit your lunatic vitriol
    > into the public domain of this newsgroup, defies even the most basic
    > reasoning.

    Don't hold back now, tell us how you /really/ feel.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    10:22:11 up 15 days, 18:35, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.08

  17. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Johan Lindquist wrote:

    > So anyway, it was like, 09:44 CET Dec 11 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > [H]omer was all like, "Dude,
    >
    >> Hadron, you have the brain of a fossilised pickled walnut, and
    >> the moral integrity of Dr. Mengele. If you're not advocating
    >> the destruction of a *charity* for the sake of what you call
    >> "competition", you're denouncing everyone with media files and a
    >> network connection as a "pirate". How you can even have the audacity
    >> to breath and feed oxygen to what's left of your withered brain, is
    >> a mystery, but the fact that you dare to commit your lunatic vitriol
    >> into the public domain of this newsgroup, defies even the most basic
    >> reasoning.

    > Don't hold back now, tell us how you /really/ feel.

    Well, I am certain that was the nice, friendly version
    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

  18. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    Johan Lindquist espoused:
    > So anyway, it was like, 09:44 CET Dec 11 2007, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > [H]omer was all like, "Dude,
    >
    >> Hadron, you have the brain of a fossilised pickled walnut, and
    >> the moral integrity of Dr. Mengele. If you're not advocating
    >> the destruction of a *charity* for the sake of what you call
    >> "competition", you're denouncing everyone with media files and a
    >> network connection as a "pirate". How you can even have the audacity
    >> to breath and feed oxygen to what's left of your withered brain, is
    >> a mystery, but the fact that you dare to commit your lunatic vitriol
    >> into the public domain of this newsgroup, defies even the most basic
    >> reasoning.

    > Don't hold back now, tell us how you /really/ feel.

    Secretly, they're probably the best of friends :-))

    [/me ducks vegetables thrown by Homer ]

  19. Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    thad05@tux.glaci.delete-this.com espoused:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Tried any DRM'ed WMA files?

    > No, not yet. My inclination is to avoid DRM'ed content all together,
    > but sometimes even a 'protected' download is more convenient than
    > slogging out to the brick-n-mortar store with no guarantee of finding
    > what you want. Still, I would be buying a LOT more music on-line if
    > they were not making it so inconvenient to play where I actually
    > want to listen to it.

    You can always order the CD or book or whatever online and it'll turn up
    in the post. I do this a lot, it works very well. Not so much CDs, as
    I don't buy many of those any more, but certainly for books and other
    goods, it works very well.

    Want an audio-book on your music player? Order the CD, transcode it to
    low-band audio format and play it.

  20. Re: Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

    dapunka espoused:
    > On 8 Dec, 04:24, flatfish wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >> Look at The Eagles latest album "Long Road Out Of Eden" which
    >> supposedly cost 5 million dollars to produce. An insane amount BTW.
    >>
    >> It's $11.98 at Walmart and they can't keep it on the shelves, partly
    >> because it is an excellent album and also because the cost is
    >> reasonable.
    >>
    >> Same thing for Barry Manilow's Xmas album which is $7.99 at Hallmark.
    >> They can't keep the thing in stock because the price is good.

    > [...]
    >
    > I hope you're kidding here. But I fear you're not.
    >
    > Manilow? Sheesh!
    >
    > As for the Eagles... I wish they'd just fly away.

    At least they can play and sing and write songs. Few, if any, of the
    current crop of Recording Industry Talent has any talent at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast