[News] Verizon to Face the Wrath of the GPL After Violations - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Verizon to Face the Wrath of the GPL After Violations - Linux ; BusyBox Developers, SFLC Sue Verizon for GPL Infringement ,----[ Quote | The same two principal developers already successfully sued Monsoon Media, | and they have litigation pending against Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain | Antennas, LLC. Here is the press release ...

  1. [News] Verizon to Face the Wrath of the GPL After Violations

    BusyBox Developers, SFLC Sue Verizon for GPL Infringement

    | The same two principal developers already successfully sued Monsoon Media,
    | and they have litigation pending against Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain
    | Antennas, LLC. Here is the press release from the Software Freedom Law Center
    | on the Verizon suit, followed by the complaint as text.
    `----

    Verizon Being Sued for GPL Infringement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the SFLC, Verizon can be added to the list of companies
    | infringing on the GPL. They filed a lawsuit in New York yesterday (pdf)
    | alleging that the company is handing out routers using the GPL'd
    | software 'BusyBox' without accompanying source code.
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...53217&from=rss

    Related and recent:

    Verizon Embraces Google's Android

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In yet another sudden shift, Verizon Wireless plans to support Google's
    | (GOOG) new software platform for cell phones and other mobile devices.
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...123_429930.htm

    Verizon: Open access should cut costs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Verizon Communications Inc.'s plan to open its wireless network to any
    | devices, not just Verizon cell phones, is partly motivated by a desire to cut
    | costs, the company's chief operating officer said Wednesday.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071205/...n_open_network

    Related:

    Thin clients in, PCs out at Verizon Wireless

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun's Sun Ray is unique among thin clients, many of which still use
    | some kind of embedded Windows or Linux operating system, even though
    | the applications are shifted to servers.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With about 5,000 Sun Ray terminals installed at three Western call
    | centers, and a fourth in progress, Verizon has seen a 60% to 70%
    | drop in desktop problems and a 30% decline in electrical use at
    | each center.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

    Second Round of GPL Infringement Lawsuits Filed on Behalf of BusyBox Developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) today announced that it has filed two
    | more copyright infringement lawsuits on behalf of its clients, two principal
    | developers of BusyBox, alleging violation of the GNU General Public License
    | (GPL). The defendants in the lawsuits are Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain
    | Antennas, LLC. BusyBox is a lightweight set of standard Unix utilities
    | commonly used in embedded systems and is open source software licensed under
    | GPL version 2. * * *
    `----

    http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/...ov/20/busybox/

    Is the Monsoon settlement a missed opportunity?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Certainly more was hoped for from the first US GPL lawsuit. “This case is
    | very important because it will establish what type of remedies (either
    | contract or copyright) are available to licensors for breach of the GPLv2,”
    | wrote Mark Radcliffe at the time the complaint was filed. *
    |
    | However, for those looking for legal precedent, all may not be lost. “Stay
    | tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here in
    | the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL,” notes Haislmaier. *
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...d-opportunity/

    Do Microsoft's EULAs have any real legal basis?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft has no special exemption from the sale of goods act." Well,
    | no, probably not - but it might still be selling you "services"
    | instead of "goods". But the real point to remember is that it doesn't
    | matter a jot what the "logical" position is, it is what the courts
    | decide that matters.
    |
    | As far as I know, no one has tested Microsoft's EULAs in a UK court
    | and, until someone does, Microsoft will just go on assuming that they
    | work. And I don't fancy the risk of taking on Microsoft's expensive
    | lawyers in court myself...
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/0...icrosoft_eula/

    BusyBox Developers and Monsoon Multimedia Agree to Dismiss GPL Lawsuit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) and Monsoon Multimedia today jointly
    | announced that an agreement has been reached to dismiss the GPL enforcement
    | lawsuit filed by SFLC on behalf of two principal developers of BusyBox. *
    `----

    http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/...on-settlement/

    And Just Like That, The Games End — First Ever GPL Lawsuit Dismissed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the agreement to dismiss the lawsuit, the SFLC is reporting that Monsoon
    | Multimedia has agreed to appoint an “Open Source Compliance Officer” within
    | its organization “to monitor and ensure GPL compliance, to publish the source
    | code for the version of BusyBox it previously distributed on its web site,
    | and to undertake substantial efforts to notify previous recipients of BusyBox
    | from Monsoon Multimedia of their rights to the software under the GPL. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Stay tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here
    | in the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL.
    `----

    http://thinkingopen.wordpress.com/20...uit-dismissed/

    SFLC: Setting Legal Precedent Not the Goal of GPL Case

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software Freedom Law Center co-founder Dan Ravicher says the Center’s
    | copyright infringement case against Monsoon Multimedia on behalf of the *
    | creators of BusyBox is not about setting legal precedent for the use and
    | interpretation of the GNU General Public License. *
    `----

    http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=241

    GPL defenders say: See you in court

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The license also requires anyone distributing GPL software, in an executable
    | form that a computer can run, to make the complete source code available. One
    | example: Cisco Systems subsidiary Linksys, which *shares the GPL software
    | used in its wireless networking equipment. *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/GPL-defenders-sa...3-6210837.html

    First U.S. GPL lawsuit heads for quick settlement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first U.S. GPL-related lawsuit appears to be headed for a quick
    | out-of-court settlement. Monsoon Multimedia admitted today that it had
    | violated the GPLv2 (GNU General Public License version 2), and said it will
    | release its modified BusyBox code in full compliance with the license. *
    `----

    New Method To Detect and Prove GPL Violations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "A paper to be presented at the upcoming academic conference Automated
    | Software Engineering describes a new method to detect code theft and could be
    | used to detect GPL violations in particular. While the co-called birthmarking *
    | method is demonstrated for Java, it is general enough to work for other
    | languages as well..." *
    `----

    http://developers.slashdot.org/artic...48253&from=rss

    German Court convicted Skype of violating the GPL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | German district court Munich has convicted Skype of violating the GPL. One of
    | the VoIP telephones sold by Skype run Linux, but the GPL text was not handed
    | out together with the phone, although the GPL requires that. *
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...#comment-27057

    German GPL defender claims legal victory
    *
    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
    | case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
    | governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
    | covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
    | make the underlying source code available.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-611...3453&subj=news

    gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
    | distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
    | Linux-based Operating System. *However, this distribution was incompliant
    | with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
    | many other software programs used in the product.
    `----

    http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060...frankfurt.html

    Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
    | against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
    | grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
    | the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
    `----

    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

    Would Dostoevsky Use the GPL?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I get nervous whenever large software shops talk up the virtues of a license
    | with fewer protections of developer and user rights. In the linked articles
    | above, there is talk of permissive licenses being the path of least
    | resistance, with the premise that it's "easier" to gravitate towards them. My
    | question is - easier for whom? Easier for the developers or easier for the
    | companies who wish to make use of it without those annoying obligations to
    | the greater free software ecosystem? As is often mentioned by others smarter
    | than me, a scenario where developers gravitate towards permissive licenses
    | makes it easier for companies to avoid community reciprocity. * * * *
    `----

    http://tinosc.blogspot.com/2007/09/w...y-use-gpl.html

  2. Re: [News] Verizon to Face the Wrath of the GPL After Violations

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 00:42:20 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >BusyBox Developers, SFLC Sue Verizon for GPL Infringement

    If you want to get on Verizon's case for something useful add this one
    to your list.

    http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news.../11909697.html

+ Reply to Thread