[News] [Rival] Windows Vista 'Weight Problems' Require Tinkering - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Windows Vista 'Weight Problems' Require Tinkering - Linux ; How To Turn Off Vista's Useless Junk And Speed Up Your PC ,----[ Quote ] | I am currently receiving a measure of vindication as more and more people are | finding stubborn and often insurmountable problems with drivers, | ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista 'Weight Problems' Require Tinkering

    How To Turn Off Vista's Useless Junk And Speed Up Your PC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am currently receiving a measure of vindication as more and more people are
    | finding stubborn and often insurmountable problems with drivers,
    | applications, and worst of all, the sheer sluggishness of this monstrous OS
    | which requires a jaw-dropping 15GB of free hard drive space just to install.
    | And if you ever want to uninstall it, you're better off just reformatting the
    | disk or you'll be weeks just trying to put all the pieces back together.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If you were stupid enough to buy Vista, do something smart for a change! Go
    | check out that website and start turning off all that useless OS junk!
    `----

    http://hubpages.com/hub/How_To_Turn_...eed_Up_Your_PC

    Recent:

    Windows for Supercomputers needs less memory than Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With its first public beta of Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008,
    | released last week, Microsoft coincidentally highlighted one of the
    | reasons why Windows Vista adoption figures have remained near-non-
    | existent in the enterprise -- its expensive hardware requirements.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...03;fp;2;fpid;1

    Related:

    Testing Vista's different memory configurations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You simply cannot play games on Vista with 512MB o memory, at least not the
    | games wen tested. You will sometimes get playable scores but even then the
    | experience and the load time will be ridiculous.
    |
    | Anything more than 512MB will help you a lot, with 2x1GB being the best
    | price performance buy.
    |
    | 4x1GB is the best choice for best raw performance. It is hard to prove it
    | ^^^^^
    | in every test, but if you have 2x1GB and you load as much in memory, the
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^
    | system will become endessly slow.
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^ * *
    `----

    Microsoft issues significant fix for Vista graphics memory overflows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Out of Memory" errors conjure up dark reminders of DOS and the 640 KB limit,
    | but that's exactly what some Windows Vista users have been experiencing when
    | running some of the latest games. *
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...overflows.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista 'Weight Problems' Require Tinkering

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > How To Turn Off Vista's Useless Junk And Speed Up Your PC
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I am currently receiving a measure of vindication as more and more people are
    >| finding stubborn and often insurmountable problems with drivers,
    >| applications, and worst of all, the sheer sluggishness of this monstrous OS
    >| which requires a jaw-dropping 15GB of free hard drive space just to install.
    >| And if you ever want to uninstall it, you're better off just reformatting the
    >| disk or you'll be weeks just trying to put all the pieces back together.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| If you were stupid enough to buy Vista, do something smart for a change! Go
    >| check out that website and start turning off all that useless OS junk!
    > `----
    >
    > http://hubpages.com/hub/How_To_Turn_...eed_Up_Your_PC

    For the inveterate Windows PC tinkerer, though, this probably seems like
    a fantastic opportunity to "learn" the new Microsoft operating system.
    MS have been creating these kinds of experts for years and years now,
    people who have learnt, often the very hard way, how to squeeze windows
    into working with one or other combination of hard and software, and
    many of them have gone into business selling this capability on.

    This is the beginnings of the same "expertise" growing. I'm sure
    there'll be copies of "Vista Internals" and "Vista for Dummies" and
    "Vista in 24 hours" and "Vista Unleashed" littering the shelves of
    bookstores very soon. Just how many of them sell will be a more
    interesting metric, though.