Not Quite Dead Yet, plus Ubuntu and Mint

,----[ Quote ]
| My brother has been running Ubuntu 7.04 on a hand built computer for a while
| now. I have never had to do anything to support him (unlike MS WIndows days)
| till now.
|
| Linux is pretty good. Probably better than pretty good. But no OS can
| withstand having its hard drive fall apart.
`----

http://on-being-open.blogspot.com/20...-and-mint.html

Farewell Vista, Hello XP

,----[ Quote ]
| I then tried installing XP on another, visible partition and using the Vista
| boot manager, but with XP installed on the D: drive, I had problems with
| nVidia drivers. I finally succeeded with Avanquest's System Commander 9 boot
| manager, but by that time I'd concluded that I really didn't want Vista
| around anymore and decided to overwrite it.
`----

http://www.gitexdxb.com/microsoft/fa...vista-hello-xp

Related:

Windows vs. Linux Compared With Mixed Results

,----[ Quote ]
| I hear this too often - Windows is easier to use than Linux. And so in light
| of this, being as I have used both operating systems for years, I thought I
| would put this to the test, the results are not going to make Windows users
| feel too good about this desktop choice overall, I'm afraid. *
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...699&Itemid=449

Windows: My eXPerience

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article I will not pretend to be stupid, mimicing those "my first
| week with Linux" pieces. If I write something about XP surprises me, it will
| be real, and if I seem stupid, that will be real, too. *
|
| [...]
|
| I have some experience installing operating systems (mostly Linux) so I think
| I know what I talk about here:
|
| The XP installer is ok-to-suckish.
|
| [...]
|
| A restart because of the updates? Mmmmkey.
|
| Strange: The reboot is failing. Apparently Explorer.exe refuses to die. After
| a few "End it now"s it does end.
`----

http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/stories/BBS45.html

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop. *
|
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

In evaluating operating systems, Williams overlooked pitfalls of Linux’s
competitors

,----[ Quote ]
| When I installed Ubuntu 7.10, a common distribution of Linux, last Wednesday,
| I had to download exactly one driver. If I had installed Windows XP or Vista,
| I would have found it necessary to download many more. If I had installed Mac
| OS X, and violated the license to do so as Barrett seems to have done, I
| might have gotten it to work as well with rather a lot of effort, but quite
| possibly not. * *
`----

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/22384

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
|
| [...]
|
| Linux - 2 Minutes
|
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number. * *
`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

Related:

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
|
| 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
|
| 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
|
| 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
| * * to me.”
|
| 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
| * * orange.”
|
| 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how...nical-support/

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with. * * *
`----

http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/1...all-is-easier/

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is...r-than-windows

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
`----

http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html