The significance of Google’s Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Much like SavaJe (now Sun’s Java FX Mobile), Android is a Java SE -like
| platform built on a Linux kernel, but more importantly one where the Java
| platform is deeply integrated with the underlying Linux support package. In
| other words, the Java SE-like platform is a native application platform for
| Android phones. Symbian may arrogantly dismiss Android as yet another Linux
| initiative, but the breadth and depth of Java APIs is something Symbian never
| managed to get right. And unlike the FX Mobile platform, Android has several
| OEMs who are planning to build handsets on it.
`----

http://visionmobile.com/blog/2007/11...ogles-android/

TomTom Connects With Google, But Not The Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| TomTom, who's currently in a bidding war with Garmin for data company Tele
| Atlas, has announced integration plans with Google (Radar post). As reported
| in the LA Times [subs needed]
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20..._connects.html

Google is also working to serve the iPhone now (Web services).

Related:

TomTom uses anonymous cell phone tracking for traffic forecasts

,----[ Quote ]
| The service will initially be offered only in the Netherlands, where Vodafone
| says it has 3.9 million customers. A total of more than 16 million people
| live in the Netherlands. For 399 euros, TomTom will be offering the One XL
| High-Definition Traffic mobile navigation unit, which supports the new
| technology. * *
`----

Hacking the TomTom ONE through Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unexpected twist of events, the gpl-violations.org project took
| exception to TomTom building an embedded Linux system without going along
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) constraints that the Linux kernel
| used, and custom modifications, be freely available as open source. They were
| successful in this and TomTom agreed to release the full source code
| including all additions and changes made in-house. Additionally, TomTom
| showed their "appreciation" for Free Software by making a donation, described
| as "significant", to the infamous Chaos Computer Club - read into this what
| you may. * * * *
|
| [...]
|
| OpenTom can be downloaded as pre-compiled images, or in source-code format
| for customising and self-compiling. No matter which route you choose, copy
| the two resulting binaries ttsystem and root.cpio to an SD card and reboot
| following the instructions on site. The OpenTom image is executed instead. *
`----

TomTom to buy map supplier Tele Atlas

,----[ Quote ]
| TomTom, the world's biggest maker of car navigation devices, plans to
| buy its main map supplier, Tele Atlas, for 1.8 billion euros ($2.5
| billion) to improve the digital maps used by millions of drivers.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6198299.html

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards. *
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum. *
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption." *
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257394007BE16D

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.
`----

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

After the Desktop -- What?