Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF! - Linux

This is a discussion on Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF! - Linux ; x-no-archive:yes Roy, I agree with your opinion that MS has very unclean motives for Linux. There is a lot of evidence that you could have cornered Miguel with and changed history! The hundreds of thousands of slashdot, digg, senators, attorney ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

  1. Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    x-no-archive:yes

    Roy, I agree with your opinion that MS has very unclean motives for
    Linux. There is a lot of evidence that you could have cornered Miguel
    with and changed history! The hundreds of thousands of slashdot,
    digg, senators, attorney generals, and news junkies didn't hear your
    points. You didn't prepare for your one chance and you lost the
    debate and hurt linux big time. A normal person would think that
    Miguel won the debate by a wide margin. And even worse, you didn't
    prepare for the media onslaught and boycottnovell.com was down due to
    everyone visiting!!!

    Roy, OOXML probably is going to take over ODF now because of this
    failure. The media was all over this and people around the water
    cooler were eager to hear why ODF should prevail. All you had to do
    was corner Miguel by any of the excellent points you have written on
    your site. Imagine the headlines, "Miguel forced to admit OOXML
    risks!". I saw plenty of chances to make history and big news in that
    debate and you missed them all!

    Even if you were unprepared for the debates, you made a huge mistake
    of not having adequate bandwidth for your site. People were eager to
    hear the message, and they tried getting to the site and it was down.
    They probably have forgotten about this issue and won't think of it
    again and then just click save as "OOXML". Given the stakes, how much
    preparation, practice and talking point construction do you think the
    opposition had planned? And you came unprepared. The facts were
    favoring your side. The sad fact is, no one will trust you again to
    speak as a leader. What kind of leader doesn't prepare for battle? A
    student who doesn't study for the test they could have aced?

    You have just doomed an entire generation to OOXML. They have just
    finished the embrace part. Next comes extend.

  2. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:53:10 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:

    I already proved, a long time ago, I am NOT Karen Hill.
    You are just too ignorant to figure it out.

    You can start here:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....2528674303c824

  3. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:53:10 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >
    > I already proved, a long time ago, I am NOT Karen Hill.


    You have never proved anything of that sort

    > You are just too ignorant to figure it out.
    >


    You have nymshifted in your incompetent way just several times too often
    --
    Microsoft: which revised Eula do you want to accept today?


  4. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 00:29:45 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    wrote:

    >flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:53:10 +0100, Peter Köhlmann
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> I already proved, a long time ago, I am NOT Karen Hill.

    >
    >You have never proved anything of that sort
    >
    >> You are just too ignorant to figure it out.
    >>

    >
    >You have nymshifted in your incompetent way just several times too often


    Yea I did you nutter.
    You just won't admit that as usual you are wrong.
    You're a joke Kohlmann. The Suse group, even the German one, figured
    that out a long time ago.
    COLA is just a little slow.

  5. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    x-no-archive:yes

    On Dec 6, 3:14 pm, flatfish wrote:

    >
    > 1. They did announce at the start of the show that Roy's site was
    > overwhelmed. I don't think we can blame Roy for that one.


    Any reasonable person would get more bandwidth in anticipation of a
    major debate between him and an OOXML supporter. Miguel, the Vice
    President of NOVELL even called in! This is an epic battle with
    titans of the software industry involved. Using a shared hosting site
    is pathetic preparation, especially if this person has a BS in Comp
    Sci. He should have known better. Especially since this was his
    chance at big time.

    > 2. I give Roy credit for going on the show because it's not easy doing
    > stuff like that. Yea I know it looks easy when CNN talking heads do it
    > every night. Those people are professionals, Roy is not. The chance
    > for a major fsck up is very real and while Roy was less than
    > stimulating, he didn't fsck up big time.
    > He did ok.


    http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71206131310362

    One day after the debate. Do you think MS would be bold enough to do
    this so early if Roy had won? Look on the front page of slashdot
    right now. Here is part of the summary:

    "Microsoft is going back on one of their promises concerning OOXML.
    While they originally made assurances that the ISO would take control
    of the standard if it were approved, Microsoft is now reversing that
    position and keeping near-full control over OOXML with the EMCA"....
    "In Microsoft's new plan, the ISO would only be allowed to publish
    lists of errata and would be unable to make OOXML compatible with
    existing ISO standards"


    > 3. That being said, one of the other people put the entire topic in a
    > nutshell when he said "my neighbor Karen wants to know, who actually
    > cares about this stuff?"


    If Roy had prepared and done his job it would be very clear why anyone
    cares about this stuff.


    >
    > In conclusion, Schestowitz is every public relations manager's
    > nightmare.
    > He is boring, monotone, has a very odd accent and spends so much time
    > choosing his words so that he sounds intellectual that by the time he
    > finishes the sentence, the audience has forgotton what the subject
    > was.


    This is why you prepare talking points. Engineers make presentations
    all the time that are not boring. Look at Linus' tech talk at
    google. It was wonderful. But you can't just wing it! You need to
    prepare, and Roy should have had mock debates to iron out any flaws.
    He didn't do it and it showed. If he had prepared


    > Roy, overall did ok but he is obviously a scientific type and should
    > stay in the lab.


    Except he took on the ROLE of leadership against OOXML. And we were
    counting on him to make a prepared, thoughtful and powerful
    presentation. He could have spent some time at toastmasters. Pulled
    his friends and had mock debates. He didn't, he justed winged it and
    now MS is going full bore on the extend phase:

    http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71206131310362
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/06/2129203

  6. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:47:12 -0800 (PST), Karen Hill
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive:yes
    >
    >On Dec 6, 3:14 pm, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> 1. They did announce at the start of the show that Roy's site was
    >> overwhelmed. I don't think we can blame Roy for that one.

    >
    >Any reasonable person would get more bandwidth in anticipation of a
    >major debate between him and an OOXML supporter. Miguel, the Vice
    >President of NOVELL even called in! This is an epic battle with
    >titans of the software industry involved. Using a shared hosting site
    >is pathetic preparation, especially if this person has a BS in Comp
    >Sci. He should have known better. Especially since this was his
    >chance at big time.


    Ooo...I didn't catch that!
    I guess I didn't know who Miguel was


    >> 2. I give Roy credit for going on the show because it's not easy doing
    >> stuff like that. Yea I know it looks easy when CNN talking heads do it
    >> every night. Those people are professionals, Roy is not. The chance
    >> for a major fsck up is very real and while Roy was less than
    >> stimulating, he didn't fsck up big time.
    >> He did ok.

    >
    >http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71206131310362
    >
    >One day after the debate. Do you think MS would be bold enough to do
    >this so early if Roy had won? Look on the front page of slashdot
    >right now. Here is part of the summary:
    >
    >"Microsoft is going back on one of their promises concerning OOXML.
    >While they originally made assurances that the ISO would take control
    >of the standard if it were approved, Microsoft is now reversing that
    >position and keeping near-full control over OOXML with the EMCA"....
    >"In Microsoft's new plan, the ISO would only be allowed to publish
    >lists of errata and would be unable to make OOXML compatible with
    >existing ISO standards"


    Oh, I don't think Roy won.
    Not at all.
    He lost, big time, but at least he didn't say anything totally
    ignorant like I figured he would.
    It's all relative.

    >
    >> 3. That being said, one of the other people put the entire topic in a
    >> nutshell when he said "my neighbor Karen wants to know, who actually
    >> cares about this stuff?"

    >
    >If Roy had prepared and done his job it would be very clear why anyone
    >cares about this stuff.


    To be honest, Roy totally confused me.
    If I did not know in advance what the subject was and what side of the
    subject Roy was on, I never could have figured it out.
    >
    >>
    >> In conclusion, Schestowitz is every public relations manager's
    >> nightmare.
    >> He is boring, monotone, has a very odd accent and spends so much time
    >> choosing his words so that he sounds intellectual that by the time he
    >> finishes the sentence, the audience has forgotton what the subject
    >> was.

    >
    >This is why you prepare talking points. Engineers make presentations
    >all the time that are not boring. Look at Linus' tech talk at
    >google. It was wonderful. But you can't just wing it! You need to
    >prepare, and Roy should have had mock debates to iron out any flaws.
    >He didn't do it and it showed. If he had prepared


    You should hear Phillpe Kahn, Borland or Scott from Sun.
    Hysterically funny and lots of fun.

    Roy just did not make his points clear. IOW it was difficult to figure
    out what he was trying to say.


    >
    >> Roy, overall did ok but he is obviously a scientific type and should
    >> stay in the lab.

    >
    >Except he took on the ROLE of leadership against OOXML. And we were
    >counting on him to make a prepared, thoughtful and powerful
    >presentation. He could have spent some time at toastmasters. Pulled
    >his friends and had mock debates. He didn't, he justed winged it and
    >now MS is going full bore on the extend phase:


    Yes he did and I suspect he has attracted the attention of quite a few
    people who are going to now challenge him to put up.

    It's one thing screwing around in COLA.
    It's a totally different thing when Microsoft asks you to come on CNN
    or MSNBC and debate.
    That's the big leagues.

    Roy brought this on himself because he believes in his cause.
    That's a good thing, but hopefully he is ready to deal with the can of
    worms he has opened.

    >http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...71206131310362
    >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/06/2129203


    Agreed.

  7. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    * Karen Hill fired off this tart reply:

    > x-no-archive:yes



  8. Re: Roy comes unprepared and hurts Linux and ODF!

    ____/ Linonut on Friday 07 December 2007 00:14 : \____

    > * Karen Hill fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> x-no-archive:yes


    I think it's Gary. Anyway, s/he right when s/he said I was preparing for this
    in any way. I just picked up the phone and it was all right (mind the fact
    that I posted to COLA before the podcast and shortly afterwards). The trolls
    try to mess with people's minds now.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
    http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Tasks: 118 total, 1 running, 117 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

+ Reply to Thread