Project of Uppsala University awarded for integrating IT and life science

,----[ Quote ]
| On November 29, the Bioclipse project from Uppsala University was awarded the
| Special Prize of the jury at Trophées du Libre – an international contest for
| Free Software held in France.
`----

http://www.newsdesk.se/pressroom/uu/...science-183512

Recent:

PloneGov awarded by the European Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| The PloneGov team is proud to announce that their eGovernment open source
| initiative based on Plone has been awarded the “Good Practice label 2007”.
| PloneGov receives this prestigious label based on the recommendation from the *
| 2007 European eGovernment Awards consortium. *
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/eu-label007

Nicaragua: Software Freedom Day Group Wins Award

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Freedom Day, a celebration of Free Software and Open Source,
| announced tha the SFD group for Nicaragua won one of three top places
| worldwide for their efforts on bringing Open Source Software to the people.
`----

http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/20...-global-title/

Related:

OLPC Wins Popular Science Award

,----[ Quote ]
| 'The goal of the XO is simple and noble: to give every child a
| laptop, especially in developing countries, where the machines will
| be sold in bulk for about $130 apiece. But the One Laptop Per Child
| nonprofit, formed at MIT, didn't just create a cheap computer. In
| addition to cutting costs -- by designing lower-priced circuitry andu
| sing an open-source operating system, among other things -- it also
| improved on the standard laptop by slashing the machine's energy
| use by 90 percent, ideal for a device that could be charged by
| hand-cranked power in rural villages.'
`----

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bown/2006/index.html

Ubuntu Wins Most User Friendly Linux Distribution Award

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth, Founder of Ubuntu, commented "We are all extremely
| proud of the impact Ubuntu has made, and proud that Ubuntu is seen as
| one of the finest examples of user-friendly Linux. With the commitment
| and dedication of our excellent community, and with the huge leaps in
| functionality and usability upstream, we are confident that Ubuntu and
| the open source world can continue to provide our users with a high
| quality, modern experience."
`----

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2.../emw481227.htm

Linux phone, stack win industry awards

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech reports that its developer-friendly, Linux-based
| "Greenphone" was named "best embedded Linux product or
| initiative" at LinuxWorld, London. Additionally, the company's
| Qtopia Phone Edition (QPE) stack won a mobile phone tools award
| presented by a Chinese trade magazine devoted to mobile
| phone multimedia.
`----

Ubuntu Receives Editor's Choice Award from PC Welt

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical Ltd, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, today announced it
| has scooped another award for Ubuntu, its leading-edge Linux
| distribution. At the PC Welt awards dinner held during the CeBIT
| Exhibition in Hanover, on Friday 16th March, Ubuntu was awarded
| the "Editor's Choice Award for Open Source".
`----

http://prweb.com/releases/2007/3/prweb513884.htm

Linus Torvalds Nominated for Prince of Asturias Prize

,----[ Quote ]
| Spanish newspaper El Pa*s is reporting that Linus Torvalds has been
| nominated for the prestigious Prince of Asturias Prize (Premio Pr*ncipe
| de Asturias) in the technical and scientific research category.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/LO2007/torvalds_asturias.html

SYS-CON Announces 2007 Linux and Enterprise Open Source Reader's Choice Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| The awards recognize the best tools, solutions, and education offerings in 13
| categories. Winners were selected through reader-submitted nominations...
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/404017_p.htm

NepaLinux receives APC FOSS award

,----[ Quote ]
| The NepaLinux project is run by Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya from Patan.
| NepaLinux is a Nepali-localised Debian and Morphix distribution based on
| GNU/Linux. The main contribution of the project is allowing non-English
| speakers to use GNU/Linux and to develop it.
`----

http://www.nepalnews.com.np/archive/...t23/news06.php

The 2007 Rave Awards
Mark Shuttleworth | Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Geeky first-worlders won't be the only beneficiaries: Shuttleworth is
| sending Ubuntu (already translated into 35 languages) to anyone who
| asks, anywhere in the world.
`----

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty...raves?slide=15

2007 Open Source CMS Award Launched with $20,000 Prize Fund

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pr-gb.com/index.php?option=co...=4996&Itemid=9