[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Annoys User Instantly (Linux Then Installed), Lenovo Returns to XP - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Annoys User Instantly (Linux Then Installed), Lenovo Returns to XP - Linux ; Gutsy Gibbon versus Vista Ultimate ,----[ Quote ] | Thanks to using the Moomex themes for both Compiz and Gnome, I haven’t lost | any eye candy either; its appearance is just as high tech and elegant as that | ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Annoys User Instantly (Linux Then Installed), Lenovo Returns to XP

    Gutsy Gibbon versus Vista Ultimate

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thanks to using the Moomex themes for both Compiz and Gnome, I haven’t lost
    | any eye candy either; its appearance is just as high tech and elegant as that
    | of Vista. The other new installation I’ve made was to put on the Swiftweasel
    | Browser. This has proven to be incredibly fast - far outstripping Firefox on
    | Vista.
    `----

    http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=115

    Lenovo Announces ThinkPads Preloaded With XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Lenovo recommends Windows Vista Business"? Not so much.
    `----

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...57210&from=rss

    Related:

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
    | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/c...oor-sales.html

    DSG continues retailer woes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
    | to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
    | down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
    `----

    http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...retailer-woes/

    Dell casts doubts on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
    | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
    | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
    | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
    | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
    | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
    | an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
    `----

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

    Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
    | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
    | visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
    | created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site. *
    `----

    http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downg...indows-xp.blog

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
    | important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
    | the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo.
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Annoys User Instantly (Linux Then Installed), Lenovo Returns to XP

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Gutsy Gibbon versus Vista Ultimate
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Thanks to using the Moomex themes for both Compiz and Gnome, I haven?t lost
    >| any eye candy either; its appearance is just as high tech and elegant as that
    >| of Vista. The other new installation I?ve made was to put on the Swiftweasel
    >| Browser. This has proven to be incredibly fast - far outstripping Firefox on
    >| Vista.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=115

    The sad thing is that people are paying for Vista in order to remove it.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Annoys User Instantly (Linux Then Installed), Lenovo Returns to XP

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 December 2007 14:36 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Gutsy Gibbon versus Vista Ultimate
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Thanks to using the Moomex themes for both Compiz and Gnome, I haven?t lost
    >>| any eye candy either; its appearance is just as high tech and elegant as
    >>| that of Vista. The other new installation I?ve made was to put on the
    >>| Swiftweasel Browser. This has proven to be incredibly fast - far
    >>| outstripping Firefox on Vista.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=115

    > The sad thing is that people are paying for Vista in order to remove it.

    Vista may be the umbilical cord of computing.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows O/S: who ownZ you tod4y?
    Tasks: 108 total, 1 running, 107 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Annoys User Instantly (Linux Then Installed), Lenovo Returns to XP

    wrote
    on Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:44:53 +0000
    <3337236.tqpa8AJY9x@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 December 2007 14:36 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Gutsy Gibbon versus Vista Ultimate
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=115

    >> The sad thing is that people are paying for Vista in order to remove it.

    > Vista may be the umbilical cord of computing.

    Well, considering that (AFAICT, since I'm not an expert
    in neonatal development) the baby is born once it starts
    to run out of oxygen (it basically becomes too big for the
    life support system, starts to generate certain chemicals
    that say to Mommy "I want OUT!", and Mommy expels it), one
    has to wonder when Microsoft will be unable to deliver.

    So far, Microsoft has delivered -- or, more precisely,
    Microsoft has yet to fail to deliver, in the mind of the
    computing public; they delivered Vista and that's more
    or less it (beyond a few souls who actually look at the
    details of the product on the computer, and not just the
    pretty box it comes in or the shiny disk that goes in).

    In other words, Microsoft's Vista bombed and no one thus
    far has noticed beyond a grumbling in the streets...is that
    grumbling enough to cause the majority to switch?

    I wonder.

    There's also the DirectX10 fiasco, in which someone in
    Marketing (dunno if it's Microsoft, or someone else at
    this point) out and out *lied* to us regarding graphics
    capability. One can and should, of course, euphemize
    this a bit, and DirectX 10 does apparently bring some
    improvements, most noticeably in the area of smoke
    generation/clipping, given what I've seen while Googling
    thus far. However, that's not quite what was portrayed
    in the ad; among other things, one can see whitecaps.
    Allegedly.

    Of course now I can't find the dratted picture. Google is
    such a pain at times, and its Image scanner shows me a
    picture of two young women (among many other unrelated
    flotsam and jetsam) when I search for "Microsoft DirectX
    10 graphics deceptive advert". (They are holding what
    Microsoft says is 'the first Xbox 360 games console in
    Ireland', and are identified as models Glenda Gilson
    and Roberta Rowat in the blog. The deception might be
    whether they're holding an actual Xbox or just a colorful
    candy-coated shell, but that's not what I was looking for,
    pretty as those two are...)

    Of course, someone was bound to notice eventually, and file
    a lawsuit over "Windows Vista Capable" being confused with
    the implication "can run Aero in all of its gorgeousness",
    and apparently intentionally so.

    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/03/183251
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tml?source=rss

    I wasn't looking for this specifically either, but kudos and
    good luck to the filers for noticing. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }