[News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips - Linux ; A Supercomputer For Africa ,----[ Quote ] | The computer giant announced Tuesday it will donate one of its BlueGene/P | supercomputers to the Center for High Performance Computing in Cape Town, | South Africa. The computer will be hosted ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips

    A Supercomputer For Africa

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The computer giant announced Tuesday it will donate one of its BlueGene/P
    | supercomputers to the Center for High Performance Computing in Cape Town,
    | South Africa. The computer will be hosted by the Meraka Institute, which will
    | lend it to universities and governments in need of its massive processing
    | abilities. The machine, which is capable of performing 14 trillion individual
    | calculations per second, is five times more powerful than the fastest
    | computer currently on the continent.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/technology/ent...04techibm.html

    IBM researchers build supercomputer-on-a-chip

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In addition to IBM, there are a couple of start-up companies and labs in the
    | U.S. that are working on silicon nanophotonics technology, Green said. The
    | IBM project was funded partly by Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
    | (DARPA), a division of the U.S. Department of Defense.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/93864

    That could transform the role of the desktop and take advantage of Linux's
    considerable advantage in HPC. It was actually Gates' vision that everyone
    would have a 'supercomputer' on the desk (no, not for Vista).

    Related:

    Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
    http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:01:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    >IBM researchers build supercomputer-on-a-chip

    They also, for the most part, designed the engine for the Sony PS3.
    Great technology, on paper, but typical "attach to IBM and fail" in
    practice.

    IBM couldn't market a parachute to a person who just fell out of a
    plane and had a wad of 100's in her hand ready to buy.

  3. Re: [News] IBM illegally dumping supercomputers to South Africa

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >A Supercomputer For Africa
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The computer giant announced Tuesday it will donate one of its
    > BlueGene/P
    > | supercomputers to the Center for High Performance Computing in Cape
    > Town,
    > | South Africa. The computer will be hosted by the Meraka Institute, which
    > will
    > | lend it to universities and governments in need of its massive
    > processing
    > | abilities. The machine, which is capable of performing 14 trillion
    > individual
    > | calculations per second, is five times more powerful than the fastest
    > | computer currently on the continent.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.forbes.com/technology/ent...04techibm.html

    Why not call it the same thing that you call it when Microsoft or Intel
    "donates" something to an African nation. - Illegal dumping.

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:25:19 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:01:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    >>IBM researchers build supercomputer-on-a-chip

    > They also, for the most part, designed the engine for the Sony PS3. Great
    > technology, on paper, but typical "attach to IBM and fail" in practice.
    >
    > IBM couldn't market a parachute to a person who just fell out of a plane
    > and had a wad of 100's in her hand ready to buy.

    Xbox360 and Wii also use IBM chips. I guess all game consoles will fail
    since they have attached themselves to IBM.

    Bug

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:10:48 -0500, bugbuster
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:25:19 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:01:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    >>>IBM researchers build supercomputer-on-a-chip

    >> They also, for the most part, designed the engine for the Sony PS3. Great
    >> technology, on paper, but typical "attach to IBM and fail" in practice.
    >>
    >> IBM couldn't market a parachute to a person who just fell out of a plane
    >> and had a wad of 100's in her hand ready to buy.

    >Xbox360 and Wii also use IBM chips. I guess all game consoles will fail
    >since they have attached themselves to IBM.
    >
    >Bug

    Only the ones where IBM takes a dog an pony show on the road, like
    they did with the cell processor.

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:16:33 -0500, flatfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:10:48 -0500, bugbuster
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:25:19 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:01:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
    >>>
    >>> They also, for the most part, designed the engine for the Sony PS3.
    >>> Great technology, on paper, but typical "attach to IBM and fail" in
    >>> practice.
    >>>
    >>> IBM couldn't market a parachute to a person who just fell out of a
    >>> plane and had a wad of 100's in her hand ready to buy.

    >>Xbox360 and Wii also use IBM chips. I guess all game consoles will fail
    >>since they have attached themselves to IBM.
    >>
    >>Bug

    > Only the ones where IBM takes a dog an pony show on the road, like they
    > did with the cell processor.

    Backpeddling.

    What dog and pony show was that? IBM certainly has adverstised the cell
    processor for their own machines but I wasn't aware that IBM was actively
    advertising the PS/3.

    Bug

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Supercomputer Donated to Africa, HPC Coming to Individual Chips

    bugbuster espoused:
    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:16:33 -0500, flatfish wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:10:48 -0500, bugbuster
    >> wrote:

    >>>Xbox360 and Wii also use IBM chips. I guess all game consoles will fail
    >>>since they have attached themselves to IBM.
    >>>
    >>>Bug

    >> Only the ones where IBM takes a dog an pony show on the road, like they
    >> did with the cell processor.

    > Backpeddling.
    >
    > What dog and pony show was that? IBM certainly has adverstised the cell
    > processor for their own machines but I wasn't aware that IBM was actively
    > advertising the PS/3.

    Microsoft's whole success was on the back of the IBM PC anyway.
    Unfortunately, you're debating with an in-house troll and constant
    nymshifter. By responding, you merely provide a platform for him to
    post further nonsense in his efforts to seed search engines.