OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers - Linux

This is a discussion on OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers - Linux ; Apple's rising popularity lures hackers By Kevin Allison in San Francisco Published: December 5 2007 19:18 | Last updated: December 5 2007 19:18 After years of relative safety, the Apple Mac is becoming an increasingly tempting target for malicious computer ...

  1. OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    Apple's rising popularity lures hackers
    By Kevin Allison in San Francisco

    Published: December 5 2007 19:18 | Last updated: December 5 2007 19:18

    After years of relative safety, the Apple Mac is becoming an increasingly
    tempting target for malicious computer hackers, according to a new report
    published this week.

    Security researchers have been aware of the threat to Apple since last year,
    when they detected the first piece of malicious code - or "malware" -
    specifically designed to target Apple.

    Steep rise in hacking attacks from China Over the past few months, however,
    the number of malicious programmes has increased, according to a report
    published this week by F-Secure, an internet security company.

    "Over the past two years, we had found one or two pieces of malware
    targeting Macs," said Patrik Runald, an F-Secure security researcher. "Since
    October, we've found 100-150 variants."

    The rising security threat could present a challenge to Apple, which has
    long touted the security advantages of its platform over those of Microsoft,
    whose software is a perennial target for hackers.

    "As Apple's platform becomes more visible, it will increasingly come under
    the gun," said Roger Kay, an analyst at Endpoint Technologies.

    Apple declined to discuss specific steps it was taking to counter the
    growing number of attacks. However, Apple said: "We take security very
    seriously and have a great track record for addressing vulnerabilities
    before they can affect users."

    Mr Runald said the jump in attacks against Apple appeared to be the work of
    a single gang of professional hackers. The group, known in security circles
    as the "Zlob gang", makes programs that infect PCs by tricking users into
    thinking they are installing software needed to view copyrighted video
    files.

    As with other attacks against Apple, the Zlob gang relies on tricking users
    to install its malicious software, rather than on exploiting any inherent
    software vulnerability.

    Apple sold 2.1m Macs in the third quarter, up from 1.1m in the first quarter
    of 2006, according to Gartner, the research group. After years of catering
    to a niche audience of Mac lovers, Apple now commands about 10 per cent of
    the consumer PC market, according to Mr Kay.

    News of Apple's growing profile among professional criminals comes as the
    number of viruses and other malicious computer programmes loose on the
    internet has doubled over the past 12 months, according to F-Secure.

    F-Secure said it had detected 500,000 viruses, trojans and worms in 2007,
    compared with 250,000 last year.
    Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c79b814e-a...0779fd2ac.html

  2. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    jim wrote:

    > Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    WTFC, troll.

  3. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    "Bob I" wrote in message

    > jim wrote:
    >
    >> Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    > WTFC, troll.

    People that still have full use of their frontal lobes, "Bob".

    jim

  4. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    jim wrote:

    > "Bob I" wrote in message
    >

    >>jim wrote:
    >>

    >>>Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    >>WTFC, troll.

    > People that still have full use of their frontal lobes, "Bob".
    >
    > jim

    Try using your frontal lobes and post some place it isn't offtopic, TROLL.

  5. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    On 6 Dec, 19:08, "jim" wrote:

    > The group, known in security circles
    > as the "Zlob gang", makes programs that infect PCs by tricking users into
    > thinking they are installing software needed to view copyrighted video
    > files.

    See, DRM is bad!

  6. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    "Bob I" wrote in message

    > jim wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob I" wrote in message

    >>>WTFC, troll.

    >> People that still have full use of their frontal lobes, "Bob".
    >>
    >> jim

    > Try using your frontal lobes and post some place it isn't offtopic, TROLL.

    May you be surrounded by people just like you.

    jim

  7. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    jim wrote:

    > "Bob I" wrote in message
    >

    >>jim wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Bob I" wrote in message

    >>>People that still have full use of their frontal lobes, "Bob".
    >>>
    >>>jim

    >>Try using your frontal lobes and post some place it isn't offtopic, TROLL.

    > May you be surrounded by people just like you.
    >
    > jim

    That just may be the cause of your problem. Perhaps you should see a
    professional.

  8. Re: OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    Just in case you missed what riled "Bob" so much......

[...]

  9. *SPAM* OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

  10. Re: *SPAM* OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    don't tell us,tell them and their isp.

    mikeyhsd@sprintpcs.com

    "Bob I" wrote in message news:eFP7nxzOIHA.5720@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

  11. Re: *SPAM* OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    In message Bob I
    wrote:

    How, exactly, does posting a blank message help the situation?

  12. Re: *SPAM* OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    > In message Bob I
    > wrote:
    >

    > How, exactly, does posting a blank message help the situation?

    "Bob" thinks that his "*SPAM*" entry will somehow ineterfere with the
    abillity of those with whom he disagress to post messages.

    Sad, "Bob". Really sad.

    jim

  13. Re: *SPAM* OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    jim wrote:

    > "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    >
    >>In message Bob I
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>How, exactly, does posting a blank message help the situation?

    > "Bob" thinks that his "*SPAM*" entry will somehow ineterfere with the
    > abillity of those with whom he disagress to post messages.
    >
    > Sad, "Bob". Really sad.
    >
    > jim

    It's dead "jim".

  14. Re: *SPAM* OT: Apple's rising popularity lures hackers

    "Bob I" wrote in message

    > jim wrote:
    >
    >> "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In message Bob I
    >>> wrote:
    >>>

    >>>How, exactly, does posting a blank message help the situation?

    >> "Bob" thinks that his "*SPAM*" entry will somehow ineterfere with the
    >> abillity of those with whom he disagress to post messages.
    >>
    >> Sad, "Bob". Really sad.
    >>
    >> jim

    > It's dead "jim".

    I see, "Bob".

    And, just when did you aquire this miraculous power over USENET?

    jim

+ Reply to Thread