ubuntu for mac g5 ppc - Linux

This is a discussion on ubuntu for mac g5 ppc - Linux ; Hi Folks: I have an copy of ubuntu 5.10 live cd that seems to work fine on this dual G5 2gig. I never had the install cd, and it looks like it's unavailable for the G5 PPC now. But, with ...

  1. ubuntu for mac g5 ppc

    Hi Folks:
    I have an copy of ubuntu 5.10 live cd that seems to work fine on
    this dual G5 2gig. I never had the install cd, and it looks like it's
    unavailable for the G5 PPC now. But, with the live CD, at least I have
    sound. It doesn't see the airport, though.
    So, I have yellow dog 4.0.1 on CDs. I Installed that which seemed
    to go well, but there's no sound, no airport wireless, and one of the
    games ran so slow it looked like it was running about a frame-per2
    seconds. I guess it's an old version of linux. I found some drivers
    for the airport, but when I finally got a CD into the computer,
    libraries were missing, too old, etc. Which brings up another issue:
    The CD/DVD door only opens with an EJECT click, but nothing I could
    find draws the tray back in. I had to physically push it in. Then it
    mounted. Still no wireless. I guess I need to set up an ethernet/
    wireless device or USB.
    But, I liked ubuntu. It seemed to be much smoother except for
    network setting that couldn't change. There was no ADD or DELETE. Is
    there a hidden-newer version on Ubuntu someplace for a dual G5 970?
    Maybe I stick with unix! ;-)

    Thanks!
    Harry

  2. Re: ubuntu for mac g5 ppc

    On Dec 5, 9:26 pm, HarryHydro wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    > I have an copy of ubuntu 5.10 live cd that seems to work fine on
    > this dual G5 2gig. I never had the install cd, and it looks like it's
    > unavailable for the G5 PPC now. But, with the live CD, at least I have
    > sound. It doesn't see the airport, though.
    > So, I have yellow dog 4.0.1 on CDs. I Installed that which seemed
    > to go well, but there's no sound, no airport wireless, and one of the
    > games ran so slow it looked like it was running about a frame-per2
    > seconds. I guess it's an old version of linux. I found some drivers
    > for the airport, but when I finally got a CD into the computer,
    > libraries were missing, too old, etc. Which brings up another issue:
    > The CD/DVD door only opens with an EJECT click, but nothing I could
    > find draws the tray back in. I had to physically push it in. Then it
    > mounted. Still no wireless. I guess I need to set up an ethernet/
    > wireless device or USB.
    > But, I liked ubuntu. It seemed to be much smoother except for
    > network setting that couldn't change. There was no ADD or DELETE. Is
    > there a hidden-newer version on Ubuntu someplace for a dual G5 970?
    > Maybe I stick with unix! ;-)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Harry

    Here's Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn for Macs with PowerPC CPUs.

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/rele...op-powerpc.iso

  3. Re: ubuntu for mac g5 ppc

    On Dec 5, 9:26 pm, HarryHydro wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    > I have an copy of ubuntu 5.10 live cd that seems to work fine on
    > this dual G5 2gig. I never had the install cd, and it looks like it's
    > unavailable for the G5 PPC now. But, with the live CD, at least I have
    > sound. It doesn't see the airport, though.
    > So, I have yellow dog 4.0.1 on CDs. I Installed that which seemed
    > to go well, but there's no sound, no airport wireless, and one of the
    > games ran so slow it looked like it was running about a frame-per2
    > seconds. I guess it's an old version of linux. I found some drivers
    > for the airport, but when I finally got a CD into the computer,
    > libraries were missing, too old, etc. Which brings up another issue:
    > The CD/DVD door only opens with an EJECT click, but nothing I could
    > find draws the tray back in. I had to physically push it in. Then it
    > mounted. Still no wireless. I guess I need to set up an ethernet/
    > wireless device or USB.
    > But, I liked ubuntu. It seemed to be much smoother except for
    > network setting that couldn't change. There was no ADD or DELETE. Is
    > there a hidden-newer version on Ubuntu someplace for a dual G5 970?
    > Maybe I stick with unix! ;-)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Harry

    And here's the latest Ubuntu, Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, for Macs with
    PowerPC CPUs.

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/rele...op-powerpc.iso

  4. Re: ubuntu for mac g5 ppc

    On Dec 6, 3:21 pm, Darth Chaos wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 9:26 pm,HarryHydro wrote:
    >

    > > Hi Folks:
    > > I have an copy of ubuntu 5.10 live cd that seems to work fine on
    > > this dual G5 2gig. I never had the install cd, and it looks like it's
    > > unavailable for the G5 PPC now. But, with the live CD, at least I have
    > > sound. It doesn't see the airport, though.
    > > So, I have yellow dog 4.0.1 on CDs. I Installed that which seemed
    > > to go well, but there's no sound, no airport wireless, and one of the
    > > games ran so slow it looked like it was running about a frame-per2
    > > seconds. I guess it's an old version of linux. I found some drivers
    > > for the airport, but when I finally got a CD into the computer,
    > > libraries were missing, too old, etc. Which brings up another issue:
    > > The CD/DVD door only opens with an EJECT click, but nothing I could
    > > find draws the tray back in. I had to physically push it in. Then it
    > > mounted. Still no wireless. I guess I need to set up an ethernet/
    > > wireless device or USB.
    > > But, I liked ubuntu. It seemed to be much smoother except for
    > > network setting that couldn't change. There was no ADD or DELETE. Is
    > > there a hidden-newer version on Ubuntu someplace for a dual G5 970?
    > > Maybe I stick with unix! ;-)

    > > Thanks!
    > > Harry

    > And here's the latest Ubuntu, Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, for Macs with
    > PowerPC CPUs.
    >
    > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/rele...ubuntu-7.10-de...

    Thanks Folks!
    I'll have to check that out. For now, though, I found an older 5.04,
    a 6.1 and the 5.1. Here's part of the story:
    5.04 iso won't even burn. It locks the computer (disk utility)
    requiring me to hang on the power button to shut it down.
    6.1 burned and the install CD came out good. During the install the
    fans gradually climbed to hypersonic. The Live 5.1 doesn't do this.
    However, I continued to install, and everything SEEMS to go good. On
    restart, I get the yaboot menu (I guess that's what it is) where I
    have the choice of CD or Linux. I press 'l' and I get the alternating
    face/computer icon in the middle of the screen like it'sa not bootable
    I guess.. It eventually (30 seconds maybe) goes back to the yaboot
    menu. I can select CD here and boot with the CD. I'm assuming
    something went wrong with the partitioning, but I get the same results
    with 5.1, except 5.1 has some kind of fan control.
    I had yeallow-dog 4.01 installed and booting, but no sound, no
    fan control, and video (at least the games) VERY slow (maybe a frame
    every 2 seconds). But, it at leasted booted from the hard drive! None
    of these version let me install the wireless network with my airport
    express. I found some drivers for YDL, but I had libraries missing or
    something, and THAT didn't work out.
    I must be doing something wrong. Do I need to be sure I can boot
    the Linux drive before I do the install? Is there a way to fix this
    without reinstalling again?
    Thanks for the help folks. I'm new to Linux
    Harry

+ Reply to Thread