[News] [Rival] Microsoft Brings Software Rental Concept to the UK - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brings Software Rental Concept to the UK - Linux ; Exstream Soft to provide Microsoft applications for rent ,----[ Quote ] | The company will aim to provide Microsoft applications to domestic users and | small and medium businesses on a monthly rental basis. `---- http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...9-673A5E3A4216 Related: Microsoft expands Office ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brings Software Rental Concept to the UK

    `----

    http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...9-673A5E3A4216

    Related:

    Microsoft expands Office ‘pay-as-you-go’ rental program

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Via the pay-as-you-go program, users can choose three- or six-month
    | subscriptions to Office Professional 2007 and pay a monthly fee to use the
    | product. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=955

    Microsoft patent hints at pay-as-you-go OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Microsoft patent application from June 2005, published only today,
    | titled "System and method for delivery of a modular operating system"
    | may signal a fundamental change for what an operating systems stands
    | for and how it is sold.
    `----

    http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyu...-go-os-patent/

    Intel, Microsoft for Pay-As-You-Go PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060522/20060521005039.html?.v=1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Want to write a Word document? Pay a few pennies. Want to download
    | some digital photos? Pay a few more.
    |
    | Under the idea, which Microsoft is introducing this week, people would
    | be able to get a PC for their home with a mechanism that charges them
    | depending on how much computing they use. Consumers would pay for about
    | half of the PC upfront and then, say, 50 cents or 75 cents per hour of
    | use. After several hundred hours of paid use, they would then own the
    | PC outright.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-6074...4589&subj=news

    Microsoft selling hobbled software to poor countries

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Surprisingly, no-one seems to have told Microsoft that it is not good
    | marketing strategy to treat your customers as if they are stupid. Which
    | is exactly what the company is doing with the release in Africa of the
    | stripped-down operating system it calls Windows XP Starter Edition.
    |
    | Microsoft South Africa launched Windows XP Starter Edition (XPSE) into
    | the African market last week with very little fanfare and market hype.
    |
    | Which is not surprising considering how the product was received by other
    | media on its intial launch in 2004. Known for its straight talking, The
    | Register labelled XPSE "crippleware". Analysts Gartner said the product
    | had "good intent, poor execution".
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=983

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brings Software Rental Concept to the UK

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Exstream Soft to provide Microsoft applications for rent
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The company will aim to provide Microsoft applications to domestic users
    > | and small and medium businesses on a monthly rental basis.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cbronline.com

    article_news.asp?guid=B964332D-CAB4-4491-BB39-673A5E3A4216

    > Related:
    >
    > Microsoft expands Office ?pay-as-you-go? rental program
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Via the pay-as-you-go program, users can choose three- or six-month
    > | subscriptions to Office Professional 2007 and pay a monthly fee to use
    > | the product.

    BWAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

    Who needs micoshaft's oriffice which isn't ISO standards compliant
    when you got Open Office that does support ISO ODF standard?

    http://www.openoffice.org

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brings Software Rental Concept to the UK

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Exstream Soft to provide Microsoft applications for rent
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The company will aim to provide Microsoft applications to domestic users and
    >| small and medium businesses on a monthly rental basis.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...9-673A5E3A4216

    That'll be cheaper than google office, or openoffice.org. Won't it?

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brings Software Rental Concept to the UK

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 December 2007 14:24 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Exstream Soft to provide Microsoft applications for rent
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The company will aim to provide Microsoft applications to domestic users
    >>| and small and medium businesses on a monthly rental basis.
    >> `----

    http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...9-673A5E3A4216

    > That'll be cheaper than google office, or openoffice.org. Won't it?

    That's just what Microsoft hopes to drive away. The last report about Office
    Live (or "Live Office") quoted a Microsoft executive saying that adoption has
    been poor. On the other side of the lake, Google quietly collects clients, who
    I assume will /temporarily/ use their old version of Microsoft Office and
    Google Apps in tendem.

    A long time ago:

    Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
    | already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
    | medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
    | companies in the world, according to the search leader's
    | enterprise product boss.
    `----

    Microsoft 'strikes back' (with FUD, not better products):

    Google Apps Catches Flak

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is launching an anti-Google propaganda campaign.
    `----

    http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/09.../?mod=yahoo_hs

    Microsoft Retaliates With 10 Reasons Not To Use Google Apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This, of course, brought Google even closer to rivaling Microsoft's Office
    | suite, which has now spurred a reaction from the Redmond software giant.
    |
    | No, its not new software or updates for the popular productivity suite, but
    | rather Microsoft's own reasoning on why businesses should NOT use Google
    | Apps. *
    `----

    http://www.profy.com/2007/09/11/micr...e-google-apps/

    Will Google Loosen Microsoft's Grip on Large Enterprise?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It’s got to be frustrating to sit in Redmond today and watch the world go by
    | without having much of a grip on it anymore.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...4_id.html?.v=1

    Out of the office

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nobody's better at defending its turf than Microsoft of course, so this will
    | not be a quick or easy war.
    `----

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof
    http://tinyurl.com/2lxuct

    Google denies its Apps just a Microsoft Office add-on

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google staff don't like the suggestion that their own employees depend mostly
    | on Microsoft Office even as Google Apps makes headway into the enterprise
    | collaboration and e-mail market. *
    `----

    Google Poses Biggest Threat To MS Office, Readers Say

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Readers have a lot to say about free/alternative office suites (as in,
    | alternatives to Microsoft's dominant Office product). Presented with a
    | growing list of alternatives, they conclude that Google Docs is a viable
    | threat to Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._poses_bi.html

    Google Only Ahead Of Microsoft In Search: Ballmer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Live Spaces: nice tie in with the MSN chat platform, but still a poor cousin
    | to Blogger as a blogging platform.
    |
    | Video: did someone say YouTube?
    |
    | The list could go on and on and on and on…. but I’ll stop there. Certainly
    | Google hasn’t dominated every market it has taken on, but to say that Google
    | runs second to Microsoft online in everything but search says a lot more
    | about Steve Ballmer than it being a true reflection on today’s online
    | marketplace. * *
    `----

    http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/08...earch-ballmer/

    Google's Android just a press release, says Ballmer

    ,----[ Quoteb ]
    | Google's plans to enter the mobile industry with a cell phone platform might
    | have impressed many in the industry but not Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft
    | and one of Google's biggest competitors. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

    Google reads your email, shocker - Steve Ballmer claims

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-email-shokka

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Angel investor Tom McInerney, co-founder of the video site Guba.com,
    | agreed: "Microsoft has been humbled a little bit. They've been forced to play
    | nice. A cultural change has taken place with Microsoft. There is an
    | acknowledgment that they are not the king of the hill anymore. And there is
    | the looming concern that Google is the new Microsoft."
    `----

    http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_7285782?nclick_check=1

    Microsoft trying to derail Google/DoubleClick deal by lobbying congress

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ck-merger.html

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
    Cpu(s): 27.4%us, 4.4%sy, 1.0%ni, 62.4%id, 4.4%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st