[News] Hewlett Packard Releases Telecom Blades with Debian GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Hewlett Packard Releases Telecom Blades with Debian GNU/Linux - Linux ; HP Offers New Telecom Platform ,----[ Quote ] | With the new blade platform, HP is looking to deliver more industry-standard | hardware, along with services, to a market that has typically relied on | proprietary equipment for its IT ...

  1. [News] Hewlett Packard Releases Telecom Blades with Debian GNU/Linux

    HP Offers New Telecom Platform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With the new blade platform, HP is looking to deliver more industry-standard
    | hardware, along with services, to a market that has typically relied on
    | proprietary equipment for its IT infrastructure. In addition to using a
    | standard, Intel-based blade, Martino said HP will also offer Linux with the
    | new platform, including Debian GNU/Linux that has been customized for telecom
    | carriers.
    `----

    Related:

    Big Debian Linux Payday For HP *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In fiscal 2006, $25 million in hardware sales in EMEA (Europe,
    | Middle East and Africa) were directly related to HP's Debian
    | support.
    |
    | "I was pretty shocked when I found out about this," Jeffrey
    | Wade, worldwide marketing manager of open source and Linux at
    | HP, told internetnews.com.
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3661481

  2. Re: [News] Hewlett Packard Releases Telecom Blades with Debian GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > HP Offers New Telecom Platform
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| With the new blade platform, HP is looking to deliver more industry-standard
    >| hardware, along with services, to a market that has typically relied on
    >| proprietary equipment for its IT infrastructure. In addition to using a
    >| standard, Intel-based blade, Martino said HP will also offer Linux with the
    >| new platform, including Debian GNU/Linux that has been customized for telecom
    >| carriers.
    > `----

    But it's not ATCA, rather, it's proprietary. HP have pulled away from
    ATCA; perhaps it doesn't offer enough lock-in for them?