How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn? - Linux ; I have Fedora Core 3 installed on a small LAN and have configured the printer with the gnome system tools, printer configuration. I have an HP920c inkjet printer configured as an SMB printer for the default gnome printer and it ...

  1. How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn?

    I have Fedora Core 3 installed on a small LAN and have configured the
    printer with the gnome system tools, printer configuration. I have an
    HP920c inkjet printer configured as an SMB printer for the default gnome
    printer and it works really good in xwindows. The printer is on an XP
    machine, shared, on the home network and shows up on the Queue Type tab as
    "Networked Windows (SMB), Share: //MISSY/HP920c. Username and password
    provided.

    All of this works very well in gnome but if I try to print from slrn, for
    example, I get a message of:

    Printing article...lpr: error - expected destination after -P option!
    Printer process returned error code 1

    Here is the relevant section from the /etc/slrn.rc file:
    % Command to use for printing
    % Note: On Win32, this variable defines the name of the printer queue to
    use.
    % set printer_name "lpr -Plp"
    set printer_name "lpr -P"

    Not sure how to configure slrn to print to this kind of a printer. Could
    someone shed a little light on this please? slrn is a bit archaic, perhaps,
    but it is pretty cool and nice to be able to "hop right in" to a quick,
    text base, real linux news reader. Thanks.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    "Read Ohmster" in subject, bypass spam filter.

  2. Re: How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn?

    * Ohmster wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > I have Fedora Core 3 installed on a small LAN and have configured the
    > printer with the gnome system tools, printer configuration. I have an
    > HP920c inkjet printer configured as an SMB printer for the default gnome
    > printer and it works really good in xwindows. The printer is on an XP
    > machine, shared, on the home network and shows up on the Queue Type tab as
    > "Networked Windows (SMB), Share: //MISSY/HP920c. Username and password
    > provided.

    > All of this works very well in gnome but if I try to print from slrn, for
    > example, I get a message of:

    > Printing article...lpr: error - expected destination after -P option!
    > Printer process returned error code 1

    > Here is the relevant section from the /etc/slrn.rc file:
    > % Command to use for printing
    > % Note: On Win32, this variable defines the name of the printer queue to
    > use.
    > % set printer_name "lpr -Plp"
    > set printer_name "lpr -P"

    Like the error says, you didn't specify a destination.

    lpr --printer=

    --
    David
    Old soldiers never die. Young ones do.

  3. Re: How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn?

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:ds34o2xq5n.ln2
    @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    > Like the error says, you didn't specify a destination.
    >
    > lpr --printer=

    Hmmmm, so how am I going to do that with an SMB printer like this one?

    //MISSY/HP920c

    Give me a working example for..

    set printer_name "lpr -P"

    ....if you can think of one, Sinner or anyone please. This is also a shared
    printer from an XP computer so I might have to specify the user name and
    password for it to work, not sure though. Thanks for answering Dave.

    --
    ~Ohmster
    "Read Ohmster" in subject, bypass spam filter.
    ohmster /a/t/ newsguy dot com

  4. Re: How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn?

    * Ohmster wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:ds34o2xq5n.ln2
    > @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    >> Like the error says, you didn't specify a destination.

    >> lpr --printer=

    > Hmmmm, so how am I going to do that with an SMB printer like this one?

    > //MISSY/HP920c

    > Give me a working example for..

    > set printer_name "lpr -P"

    > ...if you can think of one, Sinner or anyone please. This is also a shared
    > printer from an XP computer so I might have to specify the user name and
    > password for it to work, not sure though. Thanks for answering Dave.

    Do you have swat installed? swat is a web based configuration interface
    for samba. Under the printers tab it should show your printers by name.
    Without looking, a guess would be:

    set printer_name "lpr -P HP920c"

    --
    David
    Your car never malfunctions or makes the same noise in front of your mechanic

  5. Re: How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn?

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:3j98o2xcc7.ln2
    @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    > Do you have swat installed? swat is a web based configuration interface
    > for samba. Under the printers tab it should show your printers by name.
    > Without looking, a guess would be:
    >
    > set printer_name "lpr -P HP920c"

    Hmmm, I have webmin but not swat. Okay, installing samba-swat with yum now.
    Done. Let's see what swat via webmin has to say about the installed
    printer...

    Yeah, printer name is:
    HP920c

    Okay, changing /etc/slrn.rc file to read as:
    set printer_name "lpr -P HP920c"

    Done. Loggin into the system (Lazy now, will use ssh from Windows machine.)
    and starting up slrn. Going to alt.test to try it out. Printing article.
    Hmmm, no error return this time. Holy crap, the printer is printing! Wow,
    it printed the article, and it looks good!

    Good deal Dave, thanks for your help. You "Da Man". ;>)

    --
    ~Ohmster
    "Read Ohmster" in subject, bypass spam filter.
    ohmster /a/t/ newsguy dot com

  6. Re: How to find the "default printer", FC3 for slrn?

    * Ohmster wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:3j98o2xcc7.ln2
    > @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    >> Do you have swat installed? swat is a web based configuration interface
    >> for samba. Under the printers tab it should show your printers by name.
    >> Without looking, a guess would be:

    >> set printer_name "lpr -P HP920c"

    > Hmmm, I have webmin but not swat. Okay, installing samba-swat with yum now.
    > Done. Let's see what swat via webmin has to say about the installed
    > printer...

    > Yeah, printer name is:
    > HP920c

    > Okay, changing /etc/slrn.rc file to read as:
    > set printer_name "lpr -P HP920c"

    > Done. Loggin into the system (Lazy now, will use ssh from Windows machine.)
    > and starting up slrn. Going to alt.test to try it out. Printing article.
    > Hmmm, no error return this time. Holy crap, the printer is printing! Wow,
    > it printed the article, and it looks good!

    > Good deal Dave, thanks for your help. You "Da Man". ;>)

    Awesome

    --
    David
    Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.

+ Reply to Thread