Roy's podcast - Linux

This is a discussion on Roy's podcast - Linux ; I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies ready for the big face off. http://www.linux.com/feature/122470 Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be suspended? http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/ Well, he was warned. Big ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. Roy's podcast

    I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    ready for the big face off.

    http://www.linux.com/feature/122470

    Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    suspended?

    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/

    Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    rouse, but when they do ....

    (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

  2. Re: Roy's podcast

    On 2007-12-05, Hadron wrote:
    > Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    > suspended?
    >
    > http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/

    It got slashdotted. Note the URL that it now redirects to:

    Pass3 is a reseller hosting server at surpasshosting.com. (Before Roy
    gets all paranoid that I'm digging into his ISP now...I also have a
    reseller account at surpasshosting.com, so recognize this. My site is
    on pass12).

    The way reseller plans work is as follows. I'll use the one I'm on as
    an example, but others are the similar, just with different numbers.
    Mine is the Silver plan: $25/month or $250 year, for 40 GB of disk
    space, and for 4000 GB of bandwidth/month. Actually, it is twice that
    disk space and bandwidth, split into two pools. One pool is for my
    site. The other is the reseller pool.

    Using a simple web-based interface, I can make plans of my own
    (basically, combinations of disk space, bandwidth, and subsets of the
    various programs that Surpass has automated support for). I can then
    sell these plans to others, and their space and bandwidth comes out of
    my reseller pool. If they want support, they come to me, and so on. As
    far as they are concerned, I have a hosting company and they deal with
    me--it is transparent to them that I'm actually getting everything from
    another hosting company.

    I don't actually do that. If you have more than one domain, it can make
    sense to get a reseller plan, and use the first pool for your main site,
    and then carve up the reseller space for your other domains. Basically,
    you resell to yourself. Another case is where you have a couple friends
    with domains, and get a reseller account to put them all on. The
    advantage in both these cases over everyone getting their own account is
    that you get more control on a reseller account, and it can also be
    cheaper overall.

    Anyway, that's how boycottnovell works. I don't know what particular
    plan it is on, and how the reseller pool on that plan is carved up, so
    can't say what their bandwidth limit is--but evidently it is below what
    you get when your site is linked to above the fold in a slashdot story!
    :-)

  3. Re: Roy's podcast

    Tim Smith writes:

    > On 2007-12-05, Hadron wrote:
    >> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >> suspended?
    >>
    >> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/

    > Anyway, that's how boycottnovell works. I don't know what particular
    > plan it is on, and how the reseller pool on that plan is carved up, so
    > can't say what their bandwidth limit is--but evidently it is below what
    > you get when your site is linked to above the fold in a slashdot story!
    > :-)

    Fair enough - I'm glad it wasn't anything underhand by one of Roy's
    stalkers at any rate, much as I disagree with the premise of the site.

    --
    True happiness will be found only in true love.

  4. Re: Roy's podcast

    Hadron writes:

    > Tim Smith writes:
    >
    >> On 2007-12-05, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >>> suspended?
    >>>
    >>> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/

    >> Anyway, that's how boycottnovell works. I don't know what particular
    >> plan it is on, and how the reseller pool on that plan is carved up, so
    >> can't say what their bandwidth limit is--but evidently it is below what
    >> you get when your site is linked to above the fold in a slashdot story!
    >> :-)

    > Fair enough - I'm glad it wasn't anything underhand by one of Roy's
    > stalkers at any rate, much as I disagree with the premise of the site.

    What a fiasco the pod cast is. Can't even get a 3 way line working.

    "I have no predudice" - that from Roy. What a laugh.

  5. Re: Roy's podcast

    Hadron writes:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> Tim Smith writes:

    >>> Anyway, that's how boycottnovell works. I don't know what particular
    >>> plan it is on, and how the reseller pool on that plan is carved up, so
    >>> can't say what their bandwidth limit is--but evidently it is below what
    >>> you get when your site is linked to above the fold in a slashdot story!
    >>> :-)

    >> Fair enough - I'm glad it wasn't anything underhand by one of Roy's
    >> stalkers at any rate, much as I disagree with the premise of the site.

    > What a fiasco the pod cast is. Can't even get a 3 way line working.
    >
    > "I have no predudice" - that from Roy. What a laugh.

    C# is a MS Language.

    Wrong.

    ISO approved. And has a Linux compiler.

    http://www.mono-project.com/CSharp_Compiler

    Doh!

    --
    Solamente quien tiene cerebro puede cambiar de idea.
    -- E. Wescot.

  6. Re: Roy's podcast

    "Hadron" wrote in message

    > I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    > ready for the big face off.
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >
    > Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    > suspended?
    >
    > http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >
    > Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    > rouse, but when they do ....
    >

    > (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    I've been listening for the past 16 minutes and this is the worst podcast
    I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a little longer hoping it gets better
    (it can't possibly get any worse). A bunch of dull monotone dullards talking
    about nothing interesting.

  7. Re: Roy's podcast

    "LENNY" wrote in message
    news:4756df88$0$26071$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    >> ready for the big face off.
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >>
    >> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >> suspended?
    >>
    >> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >>
    >> Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    >> rouse, but when they do ....
    >>

    >> (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    > I've been listening for the past 16 minutes and this is the worst podcast
    > I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a little longer hoping it gets better
    > (it can't possibly get any worse). A bunch of dull monotone dullards
    > talking about nothing interesting.

    At least the "other guy" (not Roy) has some life in his voice. Roy sounds
    like he's on sleeping pills.

  8. Re: Roy's podcast

    "LENNY" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    >> ready for the big face off.
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >>
    >> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >> suspended?
    >>
    >> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >>
    >> Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    >> rouse, but when they do ....
    >>

    >> (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    > I've been listening for the past 16 minutes and this is the worst podcast
    > I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a little longer hoping it gets better
    > (it can't possibly get any worse). A bunch of dull monotone dullards talking
    > about nothing interesting.

    So far Roy has been rambling as predicated. The "jokey" sounding guy
    Geoff just kept rambling on about how cool the infrastructure was
    (having been offline for 10 minuets) for ages. Getting a little more
    interesting now. But all this Guy seems to do is say "Umm" and "Uh". And
    now it seems all that it was was that they asked MS for some documents
    which they duly provided. The presenter clearly thinks he is Larry King.

    And now he's waffling about Muslims. WTF? Time to switch off.

  9. Re: Roy's podcast

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:14:41 +0100, Hadron
    wrote:

    >Hadron writes:
    >
    >> Tim Smith writes:

    >>> Anyway, that's how boycottnovell works. I don't know what particular
    >>> plan it is on, and how the reseller pool on that plan is carved up, so
    >>> can't say what their bandwidth limit is--but evidently it is below what
    >>> you get when your site is linked to above the fold in a slashdot story!
    >>> :-)

    >> Fair enough - I'm glad it wasn't anything underhand by one of Roy's
    >> stalkers at any rate, much as I disagree with the premise of the site.

    >What a fiasco the pod cast is. Can't even get a 3 way line working.
    >
    >"I have no predudice" - that from Roy. What a laugh.

    I'm having a difficult time keeping awake and it's 13:25 here on the
    East coast.
    Man is this boring.

  10. Re: Roy's podcast

    "LENNY" schreef in bericht
    news:4756df88$0$26071$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    >> ready for the big face off.
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >>
    >> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >> suspended?
    >>
    >> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >>
    >> Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    >> rouse, but when they do ....
    >>

    >> (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    > I've been listening for the past 16 minutes

    You must be joking!

    > and this is the worst podcast I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a
    > little longer hoping it gets better (it can't possibly get any worse). A
    > bunch of dull monotone dullards talking about nothing interesting.

    After 1 minute it was
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for me!

  11. Re: Roy's podcast

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:24:27 +0100, Hadron
    wrote:

    >"LENNY" writes:
    >
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    >>> ready for the big face off.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >>>
    >>> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >>> suspended?
    >>>
    >>> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >>>
    >>> Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    >>> rouse, but when they do ....
    >>>

    >>> (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    >> I've been listening for the past 16 minutes and this is the worst podcast
    >> I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a little longer hoping it gets better
    >> (it can't possibly get any worse). A bunch of dull monotone dullards talking
    >> about nothing interesting.

    >So far Roy has been rambling as predicated. The "jokey" sounding guy
    >Geoff just kept rambling on about how cool the infrastructure was
    >(having been offline for 10 minuets) for ages. Getting a little more
    >interesting now. But all this Guy seems to do is say "Umm" and "Uh". And
    >now it seems all that it was was that they asked MS for some documents
    >which they duly provided. The presenter clearly thinks he is Larry King.
    >
    >And now he's waffling about Muslims. WTF? Time to switch off.

    I thought that guy with the high pitched voice was a gal?

    'Larry King (the wannabee)' needs a better Microphone.
    I would suggest a Shure SM7.

  12. Re: Roy's podcast

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:20:15 -0500, "LENNY" wrote:

    >"LENNY" wrote in message
    >news:4756df88$0$26071$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    >>> ready for the big face off.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >>>
    >>> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >>> suspended?
    >>>
    >>> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >>>
    >>> Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    >>> rouse, but when they do ....
    >>>

    >>> (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    >> I've been listening for the past 16 minutes and this is the worst podcast
    >> I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a little longer hoping it gets better
    >> (it can't possibly get any worse). A bunch of dull monotone dullards
    >> talking about nothing interesting.
    >>

    >At least the "other guy" (not Roy) has some life in his voice. Roy sounds
    >like he's on sleeping pills.

    This is like the 3 stooges who is on first what's on second routine!!

  13. Re: Roy's podcast

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:20:15 -0500, "LENNY" wrote:

    >"LENNY" wrote in message
    >news:4756df88$0$26071$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
    >>
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I assume most of the "advocates" have got their rubbing oil and hankies
    >>> ready for the big face off.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux.com/feature/122470
    >>>
    >>> Of more interest is why Roy's article has caused his account to be
    >>> suspended?
    >>>
    >>> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/10/28/...me-openoffice/
    >>>
    >>> Well, he was warned. Big companies are like sleeping giants - hard to
    >>> rouse, but when they do ....
    >>>

    >>> (ps, sorry about the multi-post to the Ubuntu group - mea culpa)

    >> I've been listening for the past 16 minutes and this is the worst podcast
    >> I've ever heard. I'm going to listen a little longer hoping it gets better
    >> (it can't possibly get any worse). A bunch of dull monotone dullards
    >> talking about nothing interesting.
    >>

    >At least the "other guy" (not Roy) has some life in his voice. Roy sounds
    >like he's on sleeping pills.

    It's Flatfish on all those lines!!!!!

  14. Re: Roy's podcast

    On 2007-12-05, flatfish wrote:
    > This is like the 3 stooges who is on first what's on second routine!!

    That's Abbott and Costello's routine, although the basic idea came from
    earlier performers.

  15. Re: Roy's podcast

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:07:18 -0000, Tim Smith
    wrote:

    >On 2007-12-05, flatfish wrote:
    >> This is like the 3 stooges who is on first what's on second routine!!

    >That's Abbott and Costello's routine, although the basic idea came from
    >earlier performers.

    Correct.
    My bad.

  16. Re: Roy's podcast

    * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> "I have no predudice" - that from Roy. What a laugh.

    > C# is a MS Language.
    >
    > Wrong.
    >
    > ISO approved. And has a Linux compiler.

    And I suppose you think Java isn't a Sun language, either.

    Or C/C++ not an AT&T language.

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Roy's podcast

    Linonut writes:

    > * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:
    >>
    >>> "I have no predudice" - that from Roy. What a laugh.

    >> C# is a MS Language.
    >>
    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> ISO approved. And has a Linux compiler.

    > And I suppose you think Java isn't a Sun language, either.

    What are you talking about? We are discussing c# and proprietary
    formats. You do not need MS products to use C#. If I am wrong on this
    then please correct me since I don't, personally, use it as of yet.

    > Or C/C++ not an AT&T language.

    I see you snipped the link to the non proprietary, non MS, C# compiler?

    You become more evasive and lightweight with every correction handed to
    you.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp

    --
    The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank.
    -- Scotty

  18. Re: Roy's podcast

    Linonut schreef:
    > * Hadron fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:
    >>
    >>> "I have no predudice" - that from Roy. What a laugh.

    >> C# is a MS Language.
    >>
    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> ISO approved. And has a Linux compiler.

    > And I suppose you think Java isn't a Sun language, either.
    >
    > Or C/C++ not an AT&T language.

    How dare they speak such language of filth?

    How dare they questioning the Quack?

    How dare they being disobedient to the Quack?

    For the Quack is the infinite, all knowledgeable and almighty Quack.

    Serve only the Quack and live!

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  19. Re: Roy's podcast

    ml2mst writes:

    > Linonut schreef:
    >> * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    >>> C# is a MS Language.
    >>>
    >>> Wrong.
    >>>
    >>> ISO approved. And has a Linux compiler.

    >> And I suppose you think Java isn't a Sun language, either.
    >>
    >> Or C/C++ not an AT&T language.

    > How dare they speak such language of filth?
    >
    > How dare they questioning the Quack?
    >
    > How dare they being disobedient to the Quack?
    >
    > For the Quack is the infinite, all knowledgeable and almighty Quack.
    >
    > Serve only the Quack and live!

    I guess you don't have a clue either Marti eh?

    Head in the sound denying the truth might be "COLA" advocacy but it's not
    real advocacy.

  20. Re: Roy's podcast

    * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Hadron fired off this tart reply:

    >>> C# is a MS Language.
    >>>
    >>> Wrong.
    >>>
    >>> ISO approved. And has a Linux compiler.

    >> And I suppose you think Java isn't a Sun language, either.

    > What are you talking about? We are discussing c# and proprietary
    > formats. You do not need MS products to use C#. If I am wrong on this
    > then please correct me since I don't, personally, use it as of yet.

    I really think you have problems with reading comprehension.

    >> Or C/C++ not an AT&T language.

    > I see you snipped the link to the non proprietary, non MS, C# compiler?

    I didn't "snip" anything that was important to my point, doofus.

    > You become more evasive and lightweight with every correction handed to
    > you.

    You're nuts. C# /is/ a Microsoft language. Java /is/ a Sun language.
    And C used to be an AT&T language, until it escaped.

    They all have alternate implementations, but the fact remains that
    Microsoft and Sun still call the shots on their languages.

    Don't be so obtuse.

    --
    Tux rox!

+ Reply to Thread