Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help - Linux

This is a discussion on Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help - Linux ; Good Day All, I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it works fine as long I use the IP ...

  1. Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    Good Day All,

    I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files
    available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it works
    fine as long I use the IP of my server at home provided by ISP. Here is the
    trick, instead of using
    ftp://192.168.1.1/docs I want to be able to use something like
    ftp://training.linuxathome.com.

    I don't have a lot of networking background, so please bare with me and
    hopefully by answering these I'll have better Idea where to start.

    1) Do I need to setup DNS ?
    2) If I do, that means I need to have domain name hosted by my ISP, correct?
    3) I heard that some companies offer free DNS hosting, if that is correct,
    who are these companies?
    4) what is the best way to approach this?

    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

  2. Re: Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:57:56 -0400, mohamad2181 wrote:

    > 1) Do I need to setup DNS ?

    No.

    > 2) If I do, that means I need to have domain name hosted by my ISP,
    > correct?

    No.

    http://www.dyndns.org/

    > 4) what is the best way to approach this?

    Set up an account.
    Choose a name.
    Point it at you IP.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  3. Re: Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    Hi,

    "mohamad2181" wrote in message
    > Good Day All,
    >
    > I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files
    > available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it
    > works
    > fine as long I use the IP of my server at home provided by ISP. Here is
    > the
    > trick, instead of using
    > ftp://192.168.1.1/docs I want to be able to use something like
    > ftp://training.linuxathome.com.

    First you want to make sure your server can be reached from the outside.
    192.168.1.1 is a private IP address assigned to your server by, I assume, a
    router. (but in case the private IP is assigned directly by your ISP, I
    think there's little you can do to setup your server...)
    Assuming your router is a fairly new one, it should have a built-in
    firewall. What you want to do is open the necessary TCP ports for FTP (which
    are 20 for data and 21 for control) and setup a packet forwarding rule on
    the router along with NAT (Network Address Translation) so that the router
    will forward the FTP WAN side (global IP's) incomming packets to your
    server's private IP's FTP ports.

    > I don't have a lot of networking background, so please bare with me and
    > hopefully by answering these I'll have better Idea where to start.
    >
    > 1) Do I need to setup DNS ?
    > 2) If I do, that means I need to have domain name hosted by my ISP,
    > correct?

    No and no.

    > 3) I heard that some companies offer free DNS hosting, if that is
    > correct,
    > who are these companies?

    I use dyndns.org

    > 4) what is the best way to approach this?

    visit dyndns.org, create an account, choose your host name and update its IP
    address.
    you may want to install an automatic update program on your server so that
    each time your WAN side (global) IP changes, that tool will update your host
    information on dyndns.org for you. there's a list of programs (clients) on
    the same website.

    > Your help is greatly appreciated.
    > Thank you

    You're welcome.
    Hope this helped.

    Cheers.
    Charif.

  4. Re: Setting up VSFTP at Home - Please Help

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:57:56 -0400, "mohamad2181"
    wrote:

    Here's an updated version of the Howto that I posted in
    comp.os.linux.networking. It should answer most of your questions.

    Dan

    Domain Name Howto

    These are the steps that you need to follow in order set up your
    domain name:

    *Purchase a domain name from a registrar.

    *Find a DNS name server to be authoritive for your domain.

    *Configure your name server's DNS records for your domain.

    *Let your registrar know who is the authorative name server for the
    domain.

    Getting a domain name is relatively straight forward, you find a
    domain name registrar, chose a name that's not already registered, and
    pay the fee. All of this can be done via the registrar's website.
    Registration is for a fixed period of time, the minimum time being one
    year. There are quite a few bargain registrars where the price is
    under US $10 per name per year, so shop around before you buy. Make
    sure that you chose a registrar that will allow you to configure your
    account online (more about that later). A list of accredited
    registrars can be found at ICAAN. But be aware that some of the
    registrars go by a different name for their bargain rate outlets, so
    the ICAAN list is not exhaustive. Nor does the ICAAN list cover
    country specific domains (such as .au for Australia or .tw for
    Taiwan). You can also ask around in the newsgroups for recommended
    registrars.

    The .com, .net and .org domain names are freely available for
    registration by anyone. But virtually any name that's in the
    dictionary will have already been taken, either by someone who
    actually uses it, or by someone whose speculating that they can sell
    it to someone else at a profit. Names made from groups of words are
    more likely to be available. There's no way that you'll get hotel.com,
    but you could well find that you can get TheBrisbaneHotel.com. You
    have to be a bit creative. The registrar's web site will be able to
    tell you if the domain you want is available.

    The registrars for country specific domains may be more restrictive.
    They may require that your domain name is the same as your company or
    organisation name, and the registrar may not allow these names to be
    sold to a third party. You are also less likely to find a bargain
    rate.

    Getting the name is the first step, the Domain Name System (DNS) is
    what allows you to use it.

    Once you've aquired a domain name, you have to make it point to your
    host site. That is to say, you have to make the name resolve to the IP
    address of your host computer. This is where the Domain Name System
    (DNS) comes in.

    Computers on the internet find each other using IP addresses, but
    people find computers on the internet by name. The Domain Name System
    maps domain names to IP addresses. DNS is based on a globally
    distributed network of name servers. A query to a DNS name server will
    yield the IP address of the submitted domain. The name server is said
    to resolve the name to an IP address.

    Your domain needs a DNS name server that's authoritive for it. Queries
    to this name server will produce the IP address(es) associated with
    your domain name.

    When your web browser (or email client or whatever) tries to contact
    another computer on the internet, it asks the closest name server for
    the IP address for that computer's domain name. This name server will
    'ask around' other name servers and will be directed to the name
    server that is authoritive for that domain. The authoritive name
    server will then relay the IP address back to the requesting
    application.

    If your site has a fixed IP address, then you can host your own name
    server. But you'll also require a secondary name server, a backup if
    the primary goes down. You may find it easier to use a name server
    provided by a DNS service.

    You ISP might provide a DNS service, but you'll most likely have to
    pay for it. Your domain name registrar may also provide a name server,
    also possibly for a fee. But there are free DNS name servers if you
    look around. Google 'free DNS'. A good, free DNS service can be found
    at www.zoneedit.com. When you've found someone to provide a DNS
    service for you, create an online account with them and add your
    domain name to it.

    The next step is to configure your name server with information about
    your domain.

    The IP addresses associated with your domain name are held in the DNS
    records of your name server. You need to enter the correct IP
    addresses into these records.

    The 'A' record lists the IP addresses for your domain. Each IP address
    will have one or more names associated with it, either the domain name
    itself, and/or associated subdomain names.

    If you have a mail server its name must be in the 'A' record. This
    name will also have to be entered in the 'MX' record, designating it
    as the mail server.

    Your domain can have as many subdomains as you like. Each subdomain
    has it's own entry in the 'A' record, its own IP address. The IP
    addresses can be different, or the domain and subdomains can share the
    same address. Two common subdomains are 'www' and 'mail'. The 'www'
    subdomain often shares the same address as the domain, and you'll find
    that you can usually use either 'www.mydomain.com' or 'mydomain.com'
    in your web browser. The 'mail.mydomain.com' is often the entry found
    in the 'MX' record.

    If you have a dynamically assigned IP address, rather than a fixed
    one, then the DNS records must be updated whenever the address
    changes. This can be an automated process using a method that's
    refered to as 'dynamic DNS'. A program refered to as a 'DNS update
    client' monitors the IP address of the host. When the IP address
    changes, the client notifies the name server of the change. But you
    have to make sure that your name server allows dynamic updates.

    Now you have to let the rest of the internet know how to locate the
    name server for your domain.

    I mentioned earlier that name servers 'ask around' to find the
    authoritive name server for your domain. Now you have to make sure
    they know where to look, you have to get the location of your name
    server known. This is done through your domain name registrar.

    It's simply a matter of providing your registrar with the names of
    your name servers, and the rest automatically follows from there. You
    should be able to configure your account online; login and make the
    name server entries. Notice that I've said name servers, plural. You
    need a secondary name server to act as a backup in case the primary
    one goes down or is unreachable. Normally the DNS service that you use
    will provide you with both a primary and secondary name server.

    DNS is distributed across a hierachical world-wide network of name
    servers, so it takes some time before the information about the
    location of your nameserver propagates through the system. Allow 24 to
    72 hours. Don't expect name resolution for your domain to work
    reliably before this time.

    >Good Day All,
    >
    >I am trying to setup an ftp server at home so I can make some files
    >available over the internet. I am using VSFTP with redhat 8.0 and it works
    >fine as long I use the IP of my server at home provided by ISP. Here is the
    >trick, instead of using
    >ftp://192.168.1.1/docs I want to be able to use something like
    >ftp://training.linuxathome.com.
    >
    >I don't have a lot of networking background, so please bare with me and
    >hopefully by answering these I'll have better Idea where to start.
    >
    >1) Do I need to setup DNS ?
    >2) If I do, that means I need to have domain name hosted by my ISP, correct?
    >3) I heard that some companies offer free DNS hosting, if that is correct,
    >who are these companies?
    >4) what is the best way to approach this?
    >
    >Your help is greatly appreciated.
    >Thank you

+ Reply to Thread