Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery) - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Microsoft is deliberately feeding into the HD disc format wars to ensure that >| its own downloads succeed where physical copies fail, says movie director ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Microsoft is deliberately feeding into the HD disc format wars to ensure that
    >| its own downloads succeed where physical copies fail, says movie director
    >| Michael Bay in a response to a question posed through his official forums.
    >| The producer contends that Microsoft is writing "$100 million dollar checks"
    >| to movie studios to ensure HD DVD exclusives that hurt the overall market
    >| regardless of the format's actual merit or its popularity, preventing any one
    >| format from gaining a clear upper hand. Bay's own Transformers is available
    >| on disc only in the less popular HD DVD format despite his stated preference
    >| for Blu-ray. To the director, this is primarily a stalling tactic while
    >| Microsoft refines its own online-only technology.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.electronista.com/articles....microsoft.hd/

    MS know only about monopolies.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 December 2007 12:35 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft is deliberately feeding into the HD disc format wars to ensure
    >>| that its own downloads succeed where physical copies fail, says movie
    >>| director Michael Bay in a response to a question posed through his official
    >>| forums. The producer contends that Microsoft is writing "$100 million
    >>| dollar checks" to movie studios to ensure HD DVD exclusives that hurt the
    >>| overall market regardless of the format's actual merit or its popularity,
    >>| preventing any one format from gaining a clear upper hand. Bay's own
    >>| Transformers is available on disc only in the less popular HD DVD format
    >>| despite his stated preference for Blu-ray. To the director, this is
    >>| primarily a stalling tactic while Microsoft refines its own online-only
    >>| technology.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.electronista.com/articles....microsoft.hd/
    >>

    > MS know only about monopolies.

    That's just vicious. From /. [1], I've just realised that this is a director of
    Transformers or something, so you're not looking at some arbitrary guy making
    this claim. I added the Cringely reference at the bottom of the OP.

    Also...

    Scott M. Fulton, III:

    "What did happen that day in 1994 is an example of how Microsoft
    approaches its everyday business: not by applying itself to the truths
    and principles and operating parameters of its chosen industry, and
    not by solving the arguably solvable problems put before it, but
    instead by concocting a fantasy world where Microsoft is the world's
    great benefactor, the great multitude is the recipient of its mercy
    and grace, and all other entities in the computing industry are
    either--to borrow a recently reborn phrase--"with us or against us."
    This is a world where media entities such as Newsweek, and
    professional observers such as myself, should stand in awe of that
    company's "accomplishments," as if its role-playing conquests held
    tangible value in any currency in which common people trade."

    [1] Slashdot also made me realise that one site is not prepared to handle high
    loads, so I'm receiving E-mails now about it being temporarily offline. It's
    weird because last December it could cope with Digg and Slashdot effect
    simultaneously. By the way, Novell delayed its financial reports (looking
    grim).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 December 2007 12:35 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.electronista.com/articles....microsoft.hd/
    >>>

    >> MS know only about monopolies.

    > That's just vicious. From /. [1], I've just realised that this is a director of
    > Transformers or something, so you're not looking at some arbitrary guy making
    > this claim. I added the Cringely reference at the bottom of the OP.
    >
    > Also...
    >
    > Scott M. Fulton, III:
    >
    > "What did happen that day in 1994 is an example of how Microsoft
    > approaches its everyday business: not by applying itself to the truths
    > and principles and operating parameters of its chosen industry, and
    > not by solving the arguably solvable problems put before it, but
    > instead by concocting a fantasy world where Microsoft is the world's
    > great benefactor, the great multitude is the recipient of its mercy
    > and grace, and all other entities in the computing industry are
    > either--to borrow a recently reborn phrase--"with us or against us."
    > This is a world where media entities such as Newsweek, and
    > professional observers such as myself, should stand in awe of that
    > company's "accomplishments," as if its role-playing conquests held
    > tangible value in any currency in which common people trade."
    >

    > [1] Slashdot also made me realise that one site is not prepared to handle high
    > loads, so I'm receiving E-mails now about it being temporarily offline. It's
    > weird because last December it could cope with Digg and Slashdot effect
    > simultaneously. By the way, Novell delayed its financial reports (looking
    > grim).

    Novell are in extremely big trouble, I'm sure. The reason why they're
    cuddling up to Microsoft so much is that they're hoping that Microsoft
    will rescue them by some means. I think that they'd've had more luck
    with IBM.

    The concern I still have with Novell is, like Dell and their Linux PCs,
    they're hoping that going "open" will be a lifeline in an otherwise
    collapsing business. Unfortunately, new business models take a long
    time to develop, and they're rather late into the game. I suspect that
    the net result of Novell's acquisition of SuSE will be the death of
    SuSE.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 06 December 2007 08:45 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 05 December 2007 12:35 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> MS know only about monopolies.

    >> That's just vicious. From /. [1], I've just realised that this is a director
    >> of Transformers or something, so you're not looking at some arbitrary guy
    >> making this claim. I added the Cringely reference at the bottom of the OP.
    >>
    >> Also...
    >>
    >> Scott M. Fulton, III:
    >>
    >> "What did happen that day in 1994 is an example of how Microsoft
    >> approaches its everyday business: not by applying itself to the truths
    >> and principles and operating parameters of its chosen industry, and
    >> not by solving the arguably solvable problems put before it, but
    >> instead by concocting a fantasy world where Microsoft is the world's
    >> great benefactor, the great multitude is the recipient of its mercy
    >> and grace, and all other entities in the computing industry are
    >> either--to borrow a recently reborn phrase--"with us or against us."
    >> This is a world where media entities such as Newsweek, and
    >> professional observers such as myself, should stand in awe of that
    >> company's "accomplishments," as if its role-playing conquests held
    >> tangible value in any currency in which common people trade."
    >>

    >> [1] Slashdot also made me realise that one site is not prepared to handle
    >> [high
    >> loads, so I'm receiving E-mails now about it being temporarily offline. It's
    >> weird because last December it could cope with Digg and Slashdot effect
    >> simultaneously. By the way, Novell delayed its financial reports (looking
    >> grim).
    >>

    > Novell are in extremely big trouble, I'm sure. The reason why they're
    > cuddling up to Microsoft so much is that they're hoping that Microsoft
    > will rescue them by some means. I think that they'd've had more luck
    > with IBM.
    >
    > The concern I still have with Novell is, like Dell and their Linux PCs,
    > they're hoping that going "open" will be a lifeline in an otherwise
    > collapsing business. Unfortunately, new business models take a long
    > time to develop, and they're rather late into the game. I suspect that
    > the net result of Novell's acquisition of SuSE will be the death of
    > SuSE.

    With the GPL, you'll still have the code. But Novell opened a can of worms that
    hurts not only SUSE, but everyone else too -- software patents. Then there's
    Microsoft's 'pledge' (READ: shackles) for OpenSUSE developers.

    The Novell martionette will dance to the Microsoft music as long as it has
    impact in the community. Many SUSE developers have left and Novell seems more
    fascinated with .NET. It has to.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    < snip >

    > With the GPL, you'll still have the code. But Novell opened a can of worms
    > that hurts not only SUSE, but everyone else too -- software patents. Then
    > there's Microsoft's 'pledge' (READ: shackles) for OpenSUSE developers.
    >
    > The Novell martionette will dance to the Microsoft music as long as it has
    > impact in the community. Many SUSE developers have left and Novell seems
    > more fascinated with .NET. It has to.

    Certainly.
    Mighty stuff you are smoking there. Please don't pass it on, it leads to
    quite some hallucinations
    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Thursday 06 December 2007 10:56 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    >> With the GPL, you'll still have the code. But Novell opened a can of worms
    >> that hurts not only SUSE, but everyone else too -- software patents. Then
    >> there's Microsoft's 'pledge' (READ: shackles) for OpenSUSE developers.
    >>
    >> The Novell martionette will dance to the Microsoft music as long as it has
    >> impact in the community. Many SUSE developers have left and Novell seems
    >> more fascinated with .NET. It has to.
    >>

    > Certainly.
    > Mighty stuff you are smoking there. Please don't pass it on, it leads to
    > quite some hallucinations

    I can show you articles. Novell hired dozens of .NET programmers about 6 months
    ago (the ones I know about) and Gartner (IIRC) said that many SUSE developers
    left after the deal (maybe quietly).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
    20:20:01 up 2 days, 2:40, 3 users, load average: 0.96, 1.40, 1.63

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Accused of Fuelling Format Wars, Writing Checks (Bribery)

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Thursday 06 December 2007 10:56 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> < snip >
    >>
    >>> With the GPL, you'll still have the code. But Novell opened a can of
    >>> worms that hurts not only SUSE, but everyone else too -- software
    >>> patents. Then there's Microsoft's 'pledge' (READ: shackles) for OpenSUSE
    >>> developers.
    >>>
    >>> The Novell martionette will dance to the Microsoft music as long as it
    >>> has impact in the community. Many SUSE developers have left and Novell
    >>> seems more fascinated with .NET. It has to.
    >>>

    >> Certainly.
    >> Mighty stuff you are smoking there. Please don't pass it on, it leads to
    >> quite some hallucinations

    > I can show you articles.

    Certainly. I can show you some which say exactly the opposite

    > Novell hired dozens of .NET programmers about 6 months ago (the ones
    > I know about)

    And? What exactly is wrong about that?
    After all, they are doing this "interoperationability" thingy with MS.
    And you know what: Even /if/ MS would not really want to, it *does* work to
    some extend
    And it would be even beneficial to linux. After all, customers like big
    corporations don't care a tiny little bit for some "political" "freedom"
    view of software. They want to see that it works, as seamlessly as
    possible, across their range of platforms

    Any GPL3 "pie in the sky" is only serving as a big roadblock
    And Novell is the one linux company affected the least by GPL3, since any
    licence change to hinder them retroactivly would be thrown out in any
    court, should any FSF nimwit decide to sue them because of it

    So they are the natural partner of MS to do exactly what they are doing. And
    they certainly don't need your (or Mark Kents) approval to do so

    > and Gartner (IIRC) said that many SUSE developers left
    > after the deal (maybe quietly).

    Big deal. Some developers are bound to leave at any given time
    --
    The early bird gets the worm.
    The early worm ... gets eaten.

+ Reply to Thread