Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot - Linux

This is a discussion on Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot - Linux ; I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

  1. Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    other advice (besides why bother)?

    The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    the video and audio info.

    Thanks for any helpful info.

    Dave,
    --
    e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

  2. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 01:08:39 GMT, Dave wrote:

    >I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    >try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    >screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    >didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    >just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    >other advice (besides why bother)?
    >
    >The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    >the video and audio info.
    >
    >Thanks for any helpful info.
    >
    >Dave,

    My first thought is a bad burn.
    Try downloading an burning again.
    Ubuntu is pretty forgivng and should work with just about anything.

  3. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    flatfish writes:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 01:08:39 GMT, Dave wrote:
    >
    >>I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    >>try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    >>screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    >>didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    >>just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    >>other advice (besides why bother)?
    >>
    >>The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    >>the video and audio info.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any helpful info.
    >>
    >>Dave,

    > My first thought is a bad burn.
    > Try downloading an burning again.
    > Ubuntu is pretty forgivng and should work with just about anything.

    My thought is - why is he trolling here? if he's smart enough to try
    linux and use Usenet, surely he is smart enough to ask in an appropriate
    ng?

  4. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Dave wrote:
    > I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to try
    > Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial screen
    > (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really didn't try to
    > debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to just install it.
    > What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any other advice
    > (besides why bother)?
    >
    > The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    > the video and audio info.
    >
    > Thanks for any helpful info.
    >
    > Dave,

    You can always move the HD to another box, install Linux on it, and then
    move it back. That sometimes works.

    --
    "Doomed to waving around penguins with bells attached."

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    sista sledgehammer

  5. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 01:08:39 +0000, Dave wrote:

    > I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    > try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    > screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    > didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    > just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    > other advice (besides why bother)?
    >
    > The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    > the video and audio info.
    >
    > Thanks for any helpful info.
    >
    > Dave,

    1) try alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    2) I'd recommend something a little 'lighter' like perhaps Elive for that
    anemic equipment.
    3) the Ubuntu Live CD will not load with less than 256mb of free RAM. If
    he has onboard video that would take available to less than 256mb. At
    least two remedies: a) add memory b) try the 'alternative CD' or whatever
    it's called. There's one to simply install the system - it does not boot
    as a live CD.

  6. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Hadron wrote:
    > flatfish writes:
    >

    >>On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 01:08:39 GMT, Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    >>>try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    >>>screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    >>>didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    >>>just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    >>>other advice (besides why bother)?
    >>>
    >>>The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    >>>the video and audio info.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any helpful info.
    >>>
    >>>Dave,

    >>My first thought is a bad burn.
    >>Try downloading an burning again.
    >>Ubuntu is pretty forgivng and should work with just about anything.

    > My thought is - why is he trolling here? if he's smart enough to try
    > linux and use Usenet, surely he is smart enough to ask in an appropriate
    > ng?

    According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    --
    e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

  7. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Dave wrote:

    > I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to try
    > Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial screen
    > (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really didn't try to
    > debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to just install it.
    > What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any other advice
    > (besides why bother)?
    >
    > The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    > the video and audio info.
    >
    > Thanks for any helpful info.
    >
    > Dave,

    Thanks to all (except one) for the insight. I didn't know that there
    was a 256 MB free RAM requirement for the livecd. My guess is that is
    the problem because low-end PC's usually don't have dedicated video
    RAM. The Ubuntu web site says 192 MB should be enough, but that may
    not be for the livecd. Oh well. Thanks again.

    Dave,

    --
    e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

  8. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Dave writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> flatfish writes:

    >>>My first thought is a bad burn.
    >>>Try downloading an burning again.
    >>>Ubuntu is pretty forgivng and should work with just about anything.

    >> My thought is - why is he trolling here? if he's smart enough to try
    >> linux and use Usenet, surely he is smart enough to ask in an appropriate
    >> ng?

    > According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    > Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    > positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    According to google, Roy Spamowitz posts a lot of stuff about Windows
    here too. But Windows user don't ask about their problems here.

    But according to my "search groups" from within my news reader "ubuntu"
    has its own dedicated group.

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu is a good resource for, err, Ubuntu questions.

    --
    La amistad es una igualdad armoniosa.
    -- Pitágoras. (582-507 A.C.) Filósofo y matemático griego.

  9. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Dave wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    >> I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    >> try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    >> screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    >> didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    >> just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    >> other advice (besides why bother)?
    >>
    >> The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    >> the video and audio info.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any helpful info.
    >>
    >> Dave,

    > Thanks to all (except one) for the insight. I didn't know that there
    > was a 256 MB free RAM requirement for the livecd. My guess is that is
    > the problem because low-end PC's usually don't have dedicated video
    > RAM. The Ubuntu web site says 192 MB should be enough, but that may not
    > be for the livecd. Oh well. Thanks again.
    >
    > Dave,

    Update - the Ubuntu System Requirements does say 384 MB needed for
    livecd. Problem solved - to the computer shop for 256 MB. Thanks again.

    Dave,

    --
    e-mail: d boland 9 (all 1 word) at fastmail period fm

  10. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Hadron wrote:

    > Dave writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> My thought is - why is he trolling here? if he's smart enough to try
    >>> linux and use Usenet, surely he is smart enough to ask in an appropriate
    >>> ng?

    >> According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    >> Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    >> positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    > According to google, Roy Spamowitz

    Unknown poster

    > posts a lot of stuff about Windows
    > here too. But Windows user don't ask about their problems here.

    They do. A lot, actually

    > But according to my "search groups" from within my news reader "ubuntu"
    > has its own dedicated group.

    Yes. You try every trick in your bags to pollute it with your garbage, too.
    You are activly poisening the google records to /establish/ how "hard linux
    is to use"

    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu is a good resource for, err, Ubuntu questions.

    Yup. As is cola. Or colm. Or cols. Or a lot of other groups
    Depending on what you are asking
    --
    Windows is just the instable version of Linux for users who are too
    dumb to handle the real thing

  11. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:52:06 GMT, Dave wrote:

    >According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    >Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    >positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    It's also the first, or one of the first groups to show up in a
    newsreader when searching for Linux groups.

    As for Ubuntu hits here, you can blame Roy Schestowitz for that.
    He is the ultimate Ubuntu fanboi.

  12. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    flatfish writes:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:52:06 GMT, Dave wrote:
    >

    >>According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    >>Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    >>positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    > It's also the first, or one of the first groups to show up in a
    > newsreader when searching for Linux groups.
    >
    > As for Ubuntu hits here, you can blame Roy Schestowitz for that.
    > He is the ultimate Ubuntu fanboi.

    Dan C. has a nice .sig in the Ubuntu newsgroup. It goes something like this:

    "Ubuntu is Swahili for someone too stupid to install Suse"

    --
    Those who can't write, write manuals.

  13. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:03:37 +0100, Hadron
    wrote:

    >flatfish writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:52:06 GMT, Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>>According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    >>>Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    >>>positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    >> It's also the first, or one of the first groups to show up in a
    >> newsreader when searching for Linux groups.
    >>
    >> As for Ubuntu hits here, you can blame Roy Schestowitz for that.
    >> He is the ultimate Ubuntu fanboi.

    >Dan C. has a nice .sig in the Ubuntu newsgroup. It goes something like this:
    >
    >"Ubuntu is Swahili for someone too stupid to install Suse"

    Good one!

  14. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Dave wrote:

    >I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    >try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    >screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    >didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    >just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    >other advice (besides why bother)?
    >
    >The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    >the video and audio info.

    I had the same experience... as you describe on my old laptop with
    similar numbers as yours. I don't know but simply attributed it to
    Ubuntu being quite resource heavy (compared to such as Slackware or
    circa 1999/2000 SuSE). It is fine on my new laptop but does run it very
    hot. On the old system with SuSE the fan only ran during heavy
    computations (number crunching using most of the memory). On the new
    one with Ubuntu 6.10 the fan runs all the time.

    --
    ciao,
    Bruce

    drift wave turbulence: http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

  15. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:01:37 -0500, Linonut
    wrote:

    >* flatfish fired off this tart reply:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:03:37 +0100, Hadron
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dan C. has a nice .sig in the Ubuntu newsgroup. It goes something like this:
    >>>
    >>>"Ubuntu is Swahili for someone too stupid to install Suse"

    >> Good one!

    >Oh look Hadron! You caused a "me too" post!

    If you can't beat em' join em'....

  16. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    * flatfish fired off this tart reply:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:03:37 +0100, Hadron
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dan C. has a nice .sig in the Ubuntu newsgroup. It goes something like this:
    >>
    >>"Ubuntu is Swahili for someone too stupid to install Suse"

    > Good one!

    Oh look Hadron! You caused a "me too" post!

    --
    Tux rox!

  17. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    Hadron wrote:
    > flatfish writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:52:06 GMT, Dave wrote:
    >>

    >>> According to Google, this is the newsgroup with the most instances of
    >>> Ubuntu - by a lot. So in the future if you can't add anything
    >>> positive to the discussion then don't waste our time with your crap.

    >> It's also the first, or one of the first groups to show up in a
    >> newsreader when searching for Linux groups.
    >>
    >> As for Ubuntu hits here, you can blame Roy Schestowitz for that.
    >> He is the ultimate Ubuntu fanboi.

    > Dan C. has a nice .sig in the Ubuntu newsgroup. It goes something like this:
    >
    > "Ubuntu is Swahili for someone too stupid to install Suse"

    I've seen a variant of that that says "Ubuntu is an ancient African word
    meaning 'I don't know how to configure Debian'" or something to that
    effect. I tend to disagree, however: imho Ubuntu is just better, that
    simple.

    --
    "Doomed to waving around penguins with bells attached."

    Random Flatfish Nym:
    lafferty6

  18. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On 5 Dec, 12:23, Dave wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > > Dave wrote:

    > >> I gave a Knoppix CD to a friend and it works great, but he wants to
    > >> try Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't do much after the initial
    > >> screen (just cranks the CD, but it never loads up), and I really
    > >> didn't try to debug it. Since it is a spare computer, he wants to
    > >> just install it. What kind of problems (if any) can I expect and any
    > >> other advice (besides why bother)?

    > >> The computer is a 300 MHz Pentium 2, 256 MB RAM, 12 GB drive, I forget
    > >> the video and audio info.

    > >> Thanks for any helpful info.

    > >> Dave,

    > > Thanks to all (except one) for the insight. I didn't know that there
    > > was a 256 MB free RAM requirement for the livecd. My guess is that is
    > > the problem because low-end PC's usually don't have dedicated video
    > > RAM. The Ubuntu web site says 192 MB should be enough, but that may not
    > > be for the livecd. Oh well. Thanks again.

    > > Dave,

    > Update - the Ubuntu System Requirements does say 384 MB needed for
    > livecd. Problem solved - to the computer shop for 256 MB. Thanks again.

    This "requirement" isn't accurate. I have been using the Gutsy LiveCD
    on a system with just 256 MB of RAM. It isn't speedy, but it does
    work.

  19. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    On Dec 5, 7:08 pm, Ben Miller-Jacobson
    wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    > > flatfish writes:

    > >> It's also the first, or one of the first groups to show up in a
    > >> newsreader when searching for Linux groups.

    > >> As for Ubuntu hits here, you can blame Roy Schestowitz for that.
    > >> He is the ultimate Ubuntu fanboi.

    > > Dan C. has a nice .sig in the Ubuntu newsgroup. It goes something like this:

    > > "Ubuntu is Swahili for someone too stupid to install Suse"

    > I've seen a variant of that that says "Ubuntu is an ancient African word
    > meaning 'I don't know how to configure Debian'" or something to that
    > effect. I tend to disagree, however: imho Ubuntu is just better, that
    > simple.

    I thought that Ubuntu was African for " Person to smart to be caught
    up in the Microsoft Ponzi Scheme"

    > --
    > "Doomed to waving around penguins with bells attached."
    >
    > Random Flatfish Nym:
    > lafferty6

  20. Re: Installing Ubuntu when livecd won't boot

    bobbie wrote:

    > I thought that Ubuntu was African for " Person to smart to be caught
    > up in the Microsoft Ponzi Scheme"

    It means "Freeloader of inferior software".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast