/dev files on WIndoze? - Linux

This is a discussion on /dev files on WIndoze? - Linux ; I've asked this over on the dark side but I thought I'd ask here too. We (R&D) produce the master CDs and give them to manufacturing. They have a turn-key Windows box for dup'ing the CDs. For QA they'd like ...

  1. /dev files on WIndoze?

    I've asked this over on the dark side but I thought I'd ask here too.

    We (R&D) produce the master CDs and give them to manufacturing. They
    have a turn-key Windows box for dup'ing the CDs. For QA they'd like
    to verify the md5 checksum that we can give them. I've found a md5sum
    program for XP but I can't figure a simply way to read a CD on XP. I.e.,
    I'd like them to do the linux equivalent of

    md5sum /dev/cdrom

    If this isn't possible is it possible to copy the CD as an ISO image so
    that they could get the md5sum of the iso?

    /dan

  2. Re: /dev files on WIndoze?

    Daniel Ganek wrote:
    > I've asked this over on the dark side but I thought I'd ask here too.
    >
    > We (R&D) produce the master CDs and give them to manufacturing. They
    > have a turn-key Windows box for dup'ing the CDs. For QA they'd like
    > to verify the md5 checksum that we can give them. I've found a md5sum
    > program for XP but I can't figure a simply way to read a CD on XP. I.e.,
    > I'd like them to do the linux equivalent of
    >
    > md5sum /dev/cdrom
    >
    > If this isn't possible is it possible to copy the CD as an ISO image so
    > that they could get the md5sum of the iso?
    >

    > /dan

    It sounds like you need this tool...

    http://www.isobuster.com/

    --
    mail: teeuu at qwest dot net

  3. Re: /dev files on WIndoze?

    Daniel Ganek wrote:
    > I've asked this over on the dark side but I thought I'd ask here too.
    >
    > We (R&D) produce the master CDs and give them to manufacturing. They
    > have a turn-key Windows box for dup'ing the CDs. For QA they'd like
    > to verify the md5 checksum that we can give them. I've found a md5sum
    > program for XP but I can't figure a simply way to read a CD on XP. I.e.,
    > I'd like them to do the linux equivalent of
    >
    > md5sum /dev/cdrom
    >
    > If this isn't possible is it possible to copy the CD as an ISO image so
    > that they could get the md5sum of the iso?
    >

    > /dan

    Still, It makes me curious, is there a windows equivalent to /dev/*? it
    wouldn't have to be a file, but is there some way to get that sort of
    raw device access?

  4. Re: /dev files on WIndoze?

    Andrew Gray wrote:

    > Daniel Ganek wrote:
    >> I've asked this over on the dark side but I thought I'd ask here too.
    >>
    >> We (R&D) produce the master CDs and give them to manufacturing. They
    >> have a turn-key Windows box for dup'ing the CDs. For QA they'd like
    >> to verify the md5 checksum that we can give them. I've found a md5sum
    >> program for XP but I can't figure a simply way to read a CD on XP. I.e.,
    >> I'd like them to do the linux equivalent of
    >>
    >> md5sum /dev/cdrom
    >>
    >> If this isn't possible is it possible to copy the CD as an ISO image so
    >> that they could get the md5sum of the iso?
    >>

    >> /dan

    > Still, It makes me curious, is there a windows equivalent to /dev/*? it
    > wouldn't have to be a file, but is there some way to get that sort of
    > raw device access?

    Hmm, there is rawread utility. Should work for cds as well as for floppies.

  5. Re: /dev files on WIndoze?

    Andrew Gray wrote:

    > Daniel Ganek wrote:
    >> I've asked this over on the dark side but I thought I'd ask here too.
    >>
    >> We (R&D) produce the master CDs and give them to manufacturing. They
    >> have a turn-key Windows box for dup'ing the CDs. For QA they'd like
    >> to verify the md5 checksum that we can give them. I've found a md5sum
    >> program for XP but I can't figure a simply way to read a CD on XP. I.e.,
    >> I'd like them to do the linux equivalent of

    If the box is just for copying the cds, that can be done turnkey-wise by a
    linux box even better. I guess you may even tweak the box to make it look
    almost similar. And you have the advantage of scriptable checks, rawread
    script and all that md5 or other hashes.

  6. Re: /dev files on WIndoze?

    Yeah there should be. Its been awhile but you should be able to open raw
    access to the physical volume. Theres some kind of special syntax you
    pass to the file open function like //?./VOLUME_NAME... Look at MSDN for
    CreateFile.

    HTH

    > Still, It makes me curious, is there a windows equivalent to /dev/*? it
    > wouldn't have to be a file, but is there some way to get that sort of
    > raw device access?

+ Reply to Thread