[News] Novell's Microsoft Fan (and VP) Gives Support to Monopoly Enablement (OOXML) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Novell's Microsoft Fan (and VP) Gives Support to Monopoly Enablement (OOXML) - Linux ; Microsoft starts rolling out more OOXML translators ,----[ Quote ] | During the XML 2007 interoperability panel — sponsored by Microsoft and of | which Rajagopalan was a part — the ongoing battles that have raged for the | past ...

  1. [News] Novell's Microsoft Fan (and VP) Gives Support to Monopoly Enablement (OOXML)

    Microsoft starts rolling out more OOXML translators

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | During the XML 2007 interoperability panel — sponsored by Microsoft and of
    | which Rajagopalan was a part — the ongoing battles that have raged for the
    | past couple of years between Microsoft and the backers of ODF were a mere
    | sidenote.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1008

    eWeek's Peter Galli keeps spreading FUD despite being ask to stop on several
    occasions...

    Matusow backs the French proposal?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But back to the eweek article from which the quote above is taken: Former ODF
    | Leaders Turn Hopes to Compound Document Format. Isn't December 3, 2007 a bit
    | late for that news, Mr. Galli?
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29785...rench-proposal

    Related:

    All sides of the debate?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How many sides are there in the OOXML debate? What if all sides are Microsoft
    | and Microsoft business partners?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Dough Mahugh (Microsoft) :
    |
    | * * Next week's XML 2007 conference in Boston features speakers from all
    | * * sides of the document format debate, including a document interop session
    | * * with Miguel de Icaza (Novell) and Vijay Rajagopalan (Microsoft) that I
    | * * expect will offer a lively discussion around Open XML, ODF, and XML-based
    | * * interoperability in general. * *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-29108...-of-the-debate

    Mono code broken into 3 modules, MonoDevelop 1.0 to ship in January

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, the open source organization, sponsored by Novell, decided to separate
    | the source code into three chunks: ECMA Core, Server and Desktop.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1754

    OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
    | products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
    | distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
    | the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
    | what basis they want to fight the free world.
    |
    | Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
    | from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
    | over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
    `----

    http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

    Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | is Mono's role in the deal that of a hook to make customers write
    | .NET applications because they can be run on Linux - only to find
    | later on that they are armless or legless because of a change in
    | the .NETspecifications, a change which Microsoft decides not to
    | make public?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And here we have an individual who decides to replicate one of
    | the proprietary company's development environments - for reasons
    | best known to him alone - and keeps telling people that the reason
    | he's doing it is so that he can pull people over from the
    | proprietary company's side to his side!!!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?o...81&Itemid=1091

  2. Re: [News] Novell's Microsoft Fan (and VP) Gives Support to Monopoly Enablement (OOXML)

    wrote
    on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:45:18 +0000
    <1308124.KEFsSrZfKg@schestowitz.com>:
    > Microsoft starts rolling out more OOXML translators
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | During the XML 2007 interoperability panel ? sponsored by Microsoft and of
    > | which Rajagopalan was a part ? the ongoing battles that have raged for the
    > | past couple of years between Microsoft and the backers of ODF were a mere
    > | sidenote.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1008

    Gods, can't the webpages sort out
    the encoding mode yet??? Granted, I think the issue here
    is mostly Usenet's ASCII, but at least the paster (a Linux
    browser) could have converted the em dash ('—' or
    U+2014) into a hyphen instead of a question mark. Not
    that I expect IE to work any better, unless it just happens
    to be pasting into Word.

    As for the formatting -- I'd have to study it. I get the
    feeling ODF is a hopeless mishmash of fonts, text, and
    coloring, but it's in far better shape than the absolute
    crud of OOXML ("oh, here it should behave just like
    Word95!"); however, both will probably need to carefully
    distinguish between data, presentation, and derivation,
    at the very least.

    Something along the lines of the combination XML, XSL, and CSS,
    without such hacks as 'style="..."' and '
    '.

    I'm not hopeful.

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }