Digital developments could be tipping point for MP3

,----[ Quote ]
| Warner Music Group (WMG) and Sony BMG Music Entertainment are feeling
| increased pressure to follow EMI and Universal Music Group's lead in
| distributing music in the MP3 format, which forgoes restrictive digital
| rights management...
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...32743320071203

Related:

Amazon and Wal-Mart unwittingly team up against DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| With Amazon spreading the word next year in a big way for DRM-free media and
| Wal-Mart trying to knock some sense into more major labels, 2008 is already
| looking to be a strong year for the fight against DRM. *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ainst-drm.html

DRM deathwatch: Sony, Wal-Mart

,----[ Quote ]
| First, Sony is reportedly considering offering its catalog as MP3s, joining
| EMI and Universal Music Group. That would make Warner Music the last holdout
| among the Big Four. I'm not sure how long Warner could hold out if it saw its
| competitors selling more digital files thanks to the universality of the MP3
| format. * *
`----

UK music store: DRM-free music outsells protected tunes four to one

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM-free music sells at a much higher rate online than protected music,
| according to UK-based digital music store 7 Digital. In fact, customers buy
| it four times as often as they do DRMed music. *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...es-4-to-1.html
http://tinyurl.com/22jhju

EMI has DRM free sales boom

,----[ Quote ]
| Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark
| Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent.
`----

Music DRM 'dead by next summer'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's MP3, absolutely," 7Digital MD Ben Drury told us. "People understand
| that MP3 works everywhere - that isn't true for AAC and certainly not for
| WMA." *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...usic_sales_up/

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

,----[ Quote ]
`----