PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs - Linux

This is a discussion on PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs - Linux ; Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts: http://snipurl.com/1ums3 or here: http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...ac_misprint_48 0x360.mov Read PCWorld's article here: PCWORLD has named Apple's MacBook Pro ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156

Thread: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

  1. PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:

    http://snipurl.com/1ums3

    or here:

    http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...ac_misprint_48
    0x360.mov

    Read PCWorld's article here:

    PCWORLD has named Apple's MacBook Pro as the fastest Vista notebook in
    the world.

    http://snipurl.com/1umsn

    or

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    -

    You can buy them here:

    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

    Best deals here:

    http://www.pcprices.net/

    ---

  2. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    O x f o r d writes:

    > Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    > the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/1ums3
    >
    > or here:
    >
    > http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...ac_misprint_48
    > 0x360.mov
    >
    > Read PCWorld's article here:
    >
    > PCWORLD has named Apple's MacBook Pro as the fastest Vista notebook in
    > the world.
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/1umsn
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
    >
    > -
    >
    > You can buy them here:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
    >
    > Best deals here:
    >
    > http://www.pcprices.net/


    And your point is what? The Mac Book pro is a standard Intel Core 2 Duo
    machine. MS don't make machines. Apple do. Or didn't you know Apple
    moved from Motorola some time back? Duh.


  3. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    O x f o r d wrote:

    >Another


    *plonk*

    Stupid nym-shifting troll.


  4. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, O x f o r d

    wrote
    on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:46:34 -0700
    :
    > Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    > the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:


    [rest snipped]

    Fine...how fast does it run Linux, compared to PCs? :-P

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Insert random misquote here.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  5. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    Hadron wrote:

    > > http://snipurl.com/1umsn
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
    > >
    > > -
    > >
    > > You can buy them here:
    > >
    > > http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
    > >
    > > Best deals here:
    > >
    > > http://www.pcprices.net/

    >
    > And your point is what? The Mac Book pro is a standard Intel Core 2 Duo
    > machine. MS don't make machines. Apple do. Or didn't you know Apple
    > moved from Motorola some time back? Duh.


    the point is...

    Apple is now producing the best Windows hardware you can buy.

    Apple engineers its systems, so it shows "standard" PC vendors can no
    longer keep pace with Apple's hardware talent.

    Nobody is even close to building something like this, the most Universal
    machine on earth...

    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

    -

  6. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    bmlg25-rfv.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 12/4/07 12:16 PM:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, O x f o r d
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:46:34 -0700
    > :
    >> Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    >> the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:

    >
    > [rest snipped]
    >
    > Fine...how fast does it run Linux, compared to PCs? :-P


    Have not seen a direct comparison but it likely does well... no reason it
    would not.


    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs




  7. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    In chrisv writes:

    >O x f o r d wrote:


    >>Another


    >*plonk*


    >Stupid nym-shifting troll.


    So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?

  8. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, O x f o r d
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:46:34 -0700
    > :
    > > Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    > > the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:

    >
    > [rest snipped]
    >
    > Fine...how fast does it run Linux, compared to PCs? :-P


    Who Cares?
    >
    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > Insert random misquote here.

    --
    Mike

  9. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    On Dec 4, 1:46 pm, O x f o r d wrote:
    > Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    > the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/1ums3
    >
    > or here:
    >
    > http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...etamac_misprin...
    > 0x360.mov
    >
    > Read PCWorld's article here:
    >
    > PCWORLD has named Apple's MacBook Pro as the fastest Vista notebook in
    > the world.
    >
    > http://snipurl.com/1umsn
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
    >
    > -
    >
    > You can buy them here:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
    >
    > Best deals here:
    >
    > http://www.pcprices.net/
    >
    > ---


    No doubt it is fast. However they didn't test the latest and greatest
    from everybody. Even the Alienware they tested had only 2gb of RAM and
    a slower processor. Dell makes a XPS notebook with a T7900 processor,
    capable of clocking to 3.4Ghz, dedicated physics processor, Nvidia SLI
    video.

    http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

    no doubt faster than a MBP, just not included in their test. Hell I
    can go test a handfull of Japanese imports and claim one is the
    fastest car I ever tested, that doesn't make it the fastest car in the
    world.

  10. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 04 December 2007 19:16 : \____

    > O x f o r d wrote:
    >
    >>Another

    >
    > *plonk*
    >
    > Stupid nym-shifting troll.


    Yes, I wondered the same thing. It's probably not a case of escaping the
    filters though (same name, different format).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    20:20:01 up 2:40, 2 users, load average: 0.80, 1.12, 1.22
    http://iuron.com - Open Source knowledge engine project

  11. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit

    wrote
    on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:40:05 -0700
    :
    > "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    > bmlg25-rfv.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 12/4/07 12:16 PM:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, O x f o r d
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:46:34 -0700
    >> :
    >>> Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    >>> the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:

    >>
    >> [rest snipped]
    >>
    >> Fine...how fast does it run Linux, compared to PCs? :-P

    >
    > Have not seen a direct comparison but it likely does well... no reason it
    > would not.
    >


    There are many reasons as to why it *might* not.

    [1] Linux is quite different in access patterns to display,
    RAM, and I/O. Machines optimized for Windows or OSX
    may not work as well for Linux. (More likely, they
    will work better in the case of Linux vs. Windows,
    but that's clearly not a given.)

    [2] As usual, it depends on what one is doing.

    [3] A direct comparison of what, versus what?
    Intel-compatible chips run from low-level Celerons
    to top of the line multicore modules (one of Apple's
    high-end workstations sports an 8-core variant), and
    one can also look into a variety of display options,
    from relatively cheap and low frame-rate boards to
    top-of-the-line fan-cooled ultra-fragger boards.

    [4] Since Linux is truly multiplatform (OSX is
    dual-platform but probably can be ported to more;
    Windows is sort of tri-platform but the other
    two platforms PPC and Alpha have long since been
    deprecated), Linux introduces an additional variable.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  12. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    BlueBuyYoo wrote:

    >In chrisv writes:
    >
    >>O x f o r d wrote:

    >
    >>>Another

    >
    >>*plonk*

    >
    >>Stupid nym-shifting troll.

    >
    >So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?


    Did you read the groups list, dim-bulb?

    "comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy,microsoft.public.windows .vista.general"

    I guess using a MAC has made you stupid.


  13. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    BlueBuyYoo wrote:

    > In chrisv
    > writes:
    >
    >>O x f o r d wrote:

    >
    >>>Another

    >
    >>*plonk*

    >
    >>Stupid nym-shifting troll.

    >
    > So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?


    comp.sys.mac.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

    You scored a whopping 1 out of 4

    Are you a MAK user by chance? Those tend to be especially dense
    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.


  14. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    BlueBuyYoo wrote:
    > In chrisv
    > writes:
    >
    >> O x f o r d wrote:

    >
    >>> Another

    >
    >> *plonk*

    >
    >> Stupid nym-shifting troll.

    >
    > So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?


    Look again:
    comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy,microsoft.public.windows .vista.general





    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  15. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    BlueBuyYoo did eloquently scribble:
    > In chrisv writes:


    >>O x f o r d wrote:


    >>>Another


    >>*plonk*


    >>Stupid nym-shifting troll.


    > So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?


    No, but advocating windows vista on apple hardware in a linux newsgroup is.
    Or didn't you spot the crosspost?
    It's what oxturd does.
    Troll
    --
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |
    | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |
    | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  16. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    On 4 Dec 2007 19:56:05 GMT, BlueBuyYoo wrote:

    > In chrisv writes:
    >
    > >O x f o r d wrote:

    >
    > >>Another

    >
    > >*plonk*

    >
    > >Stupid nym-shifting troll.

    >
    > So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?



    No, but cross-posting to Windows and Linux groups is.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

  17. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    fipg25-mg.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 12/4/07 1:23 PM:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:40:05 -0700
    > :
    >> "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    >> bmlg25-rfv.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 12/4/07 12:16 PM:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, O x f o r d
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:46:34 -0700
    >>> :
    >>>> Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    >>>> the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:
    >>>
    >>> [rest snipped]
    >>>
    >>> Fine...how fast does it run Linux, compared to PCs? :-P

    >>
    >> Have not seen a direct comparison but it likely does well... no reason it
    >> would not.
    >>

    >
    > There are many reasons as to why it *might* not.
    >
    > [1] Linux is quite different in access patterns to display,
    > RAM, and I/O. Machines optimized for Windows or OSX
    > may not work as well for Linux. (More likely, they
    > will work better in the case of Linux vs. Windows,
    > but that's clearly not a given.)
    >
    > [2] As usual, it depends on what one is doing.
    >
    > [3] A direct comparison of what, versus what?
    > Intel-compatible chips run from low-level Celerons
    > to top of the line multicore modules (one of Apple's
    > high-end workstations sports an 8-core variant), and
    > one can also look into a variety of display options,
    > from relatively cheap and low frame-rate boards to
    > top-of-the-line fan-cooled ultra-fragger boards.
    >
    > [4] Since Linux is truly multiplatform (OSX is
    > dual-platform but probably can be ported to more;
    > Windows is sort of tri-platform but the other
    > two platforms PPC and Alpha have long since been
    > deprecated), Linux introduces an additional variable.


    Still, while I would want to see tests before I bought Apple hardware that
    was going to be used largely for Linux, there is no real reason to think it
    would not run just fine on it.


    --
    Teachers open the door but you must walk through it yourself.


  18. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs


    wrote in message
    news:b5rg25-fde.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com...
    > BlueBuyYoo did eloquently scribble:
    >> In chrisv
    >> writes:

    >
    >>>O x f o r d wrote:

    >
    >>>>Another

    >
    >>>*plonk*

    >
    >>>Stupid nym-shifting troll.

    >
    >> So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?

    >
    > No, but advocating windows vista on apple hardware in a linux newsgroup
    > is.
    > Or didn't you spot the crosspost?
    > It's what oxturd does.
    > Troll


    More than half of the posts that Schestowitz makes are about either Windows,
    Mac, iPod, Zune, Apple, etc. So when he makes these posts is he also
    trolling?




    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  19. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    "Julie" wrote:

    > > So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?

    >
    > Look again:
    > comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy,microsoft.publi
    > c.windows.vista.general


    those are all legitimate groups to help save people time and effort.

    so learn to understand the future of computing or stay in the past.

    i'm clearly, just trying to help!

    and will do so until everyone is up and running on a modern open
    standards based platform.

    http://www.apple.com/

    -

  20. Re: PCWorld: Macs run Vista faster than PCs

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    A Christmas Gift to Peter:

    ---

    Another honestly funny Apple Ad which continues to show the downfall of
    the WinTel industry... just posted, so have a great laugh at the facts:

    http://snipurl.com/1ums3

    or here:

    http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/ap...ac_misprint_48
    0x360.mov

    Read PCWorld's article here:

    PCWORLD has named Apple's MacBook Pro as the fastest Vista notebook in
    the world.

    http://snipurl.com/1umsn

    or

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

    -

    You can buy them here:

    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

    Best deals here:

    http://www.pcprices.net/

    ---

    > >>Stupid nym-shifting troll.

    > >
    > > So, advocating Apple hardware in a Mac advocacy group is trolling?

    >
    > comp.sys.mac.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
    >
    > You scored a whopping 1 out of 4
    >
    > Are you a MAK user by chance? Those tend to be especially dense


    poor Peter, continuously angry that Linux has now faded from public view.

    so mad, he can't even set "follow-ups" correctly!

    a one point penalty for that Peter!

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu will now laugh at you too!

    oxford

    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast