autofs/automount etch mounts all nfs exports - Linux

This is a discussion on autofs/automount etch mounts all nfs exports - Linux ; Hi, Is there a way to configure the automounter not to mount every single nfs export from a server? On our network here my home directory is on an nfs filesystem on a Solaris server. If I log in to ...

  1. autofs/automount etch mounts all nfs exports

    Hi,
    Is there a way to configure the automounter not to mount every single
    nfs export from a server? On our network here my home directory is on
    an nfs filesystem on a Solaris server. If I log in to my Debian system
    and then type 'mount -t nfs', it seems that every single nfs export from
    the Solaris system is mounted. Is this normal? I would prefer that
    only directories that I have accessed (like cd /net/my/home) would show
    up when I type 'mount' to see mounted filesystems. Thanks in advance
    for any clues on fixing this. BTW, my older RedHat boxen behave the way
    I would prefer the Debian box to behave but I don't know the differences
    in the nfs/autofs configuration between them.

    Jason

  2. Re: autofs/automount etch mounts all nfs exports

    On 2007-12-04, Jason Roscoe wrote:
    > Is there a way to configure the automounter not to mount every single
    > nfs export from a server? On our network here my home directory is on
    > an nfs filesystem on a Solaris server. If I log in to my Debian system
    > and then type 'mount -t nfs', it seems that every single nfs export from
    > the Solaris system is mounted. Is this normal? I would prefer that
    > only directories that I have accessed (like cd /net/my/home) would show
    > up when I type 'mount' to see mounted filesystems. Thanks in advance
    > for any clues on fixing this. BTW, my older RedHat boxen behave the way
    > I would prefer the Debian box to behave but I don't know the differences
    > in the nfs/autofs configuration between them.

    Did you look? Read your auto.master files on both boxes, and the files
    to which they refer. You should probably also examine the /etc/fstab
    files on both machines; it really sounds like the Debian /etc/fstab
    has entries for your NFS mounts (which would explain why they're always
    mounted--they were mounted at boot, not under automount).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: autofs/automount etch mounts all nfs exports

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-12-04, Jason Roscoe wrote:
    >> Is there a way to configure the automounter not to mount every single
    >> nfs export from a server? On our network here my home directory is on
    >> an nfs filesystem on a Solaris server. If I log in to my Debian system
    >> and then type 'mount -t nfs', it seems that every single nfs export from
    >> the Solaris system is mounted. Is this normal? I would prefer that
    >> only directories that I have accessed (like cd /net/my/home) would show
    >> up when I type 'mount' to see mounted filesystems. Thanks in advance
    >> for any clues on fixing this. BTW, my older RedHat boxen behave the way
    >> I would prefer the Debian box to behave but I don't know the differences
    >> in the nfs/autofs configuration between them.

    > Did you look? Read your auto.master files on both boxes, and the files
    > to which they refer. You should probably also examine the /etc/fstab
    > files on both machines; it really sounds like the Debian /etc/fstab
    > has entries for your NFS mounts (which would explain why they're always
    > mounted--they were mounted at boot, not under automount).
    >
    > --keith

    thanks for the info. you got me to do some research and i delved into
    the autofs script on the debian box. the auto.net file used for /net
    was using showmount to find and mount every available export from the
    nfs server. the script checks the permissions on /etc/auto.net and if
    it is executable, it is used as a "program" map. so, even though i
    replaced auto.net with the auto.net file from my old redhat box, it was
    still trying to use a program map instead of a "file" map. anyway, once
    i changed the permissions so it was not executable, i am getting the
    behavior i originally wanted.

+ Reply to Thread